Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Micrometer cleanup and oil

Micrometer cleanup and oil

I bought an old micrometer today, nothing special but I've been wanting one. It is a little stiff, so the ratchet won't turn it, it just clicks but I can turn it directly. I read that old oil can get gummy or turn to varnish. I would like to inexpensively try to bring this back to reasonable health. What items might I find around my home or garage that I can use to clean the threads and then what can I oil them with. I read that a drop of ATF can do the trick in lieu of machine oil?

I know everything I read online is true but I greatly value the opinion of the folks here.

Any advice? I would like to get it working smooth enough for the ratchet to function.

Boolit Master

Kroil is your friend. Have any standards to check it's accuracy?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

ATF with a little acetone mixed in would probably be a good choice if you don't have kroil handy. I stay away from WD-40 on stuff like that because after a while, the WD turns to glue.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

What JiminPHX said. If you have nothing else, kerosene and nail polish remover will do. Plastic will be dissolved by the acetone, so if there's any plastic bits on it stick to kerosene or "lamp oil". An overnight immersion would be my bet. Once you can unscrew the thimble all the way and remove it, further cleaning with a Q-tip may do some good.

Agree that WD-40 is not the best thing for tools. It displaces water initially, but is a poor rust preventive in the long run. But if that's all you've got handy, soak it in that.

I've also used Hoppe's #9 to loosen up gummy oil.

ATF is a good choice for final lube. Won't need much.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Kroil is your friend. Have any standards to check it's accuracy?
    Good info folks, thanks. It measures in the 2" - 3" range. In the box was a loose metal rod with slightly beveled ends, when I measured it came to EXACTLY 2.000 inches so I figured it was a calibration rod that came with it? It's an ancient craftsman micrometer, in a beat up old box with instructions. Paid $12.50 locally (I'll bet SOMEONE on this forum has heard of Liberty Tool up here in Maine) for it figuring my needs were basic at this point, didn't want a huge investment.

It appears to be identical to this unit currently on ebay, except mine looks almost pristine...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-2-...-/281102409205

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    ATF with a little acetone mixed in would probably be a good choice if you don't have kroil handy. I stay away from WD-40 on stuff like that because after a while, the WD turns to glue.
    WD 40 was originally developed for the aerospace industry, and it was intended as a coating, not a lubricant. It is supposed to leave goop behind after it dries.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I know better than to use WD40.

Boolit Grand Master

Disassemble the michrometer Thimble from frame is as far a s you need to go. Work threads with soft tooth brush ad a very light oil. Kroil works here for this. Soak threads in barrel with kroil while you are doing this. After cleaning barrel threads use an air copressor to blow out the frames do this several times also. Lightly oil with a very light oil ( Sewing machine oil starret tool oil is available cheap also, In a bind canola or olive oil will work Not the best but will work) And very carefully reassenble. There is a collet adjustment on the threads dont touch this. Check with your starndard and you should be good to go If not "zero" anymore on your standard there should be a small spanner wrench to adjust the barrel in the box. Use nothing abrasive or aggressive go slow and take your time this is a precission insterment not a c-clamp. My set of mikes 0-6" browne and sharps are 35 years old now and going strong. I have internal mikes by Browne and sharpe and Im the third owner to retire with them.

Boolit Master

Revolver, you did good on that old mic. Older precision measuring tools like yours ,B&S and Starretts can't be beat
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

I still have a 1/2 quart of sperm oil that i use, don't know what i'll do when it's gone. That was what was recommended in the old days.

Boolit Master

Tell us which boolits cast out between 2" and 3" that you need a micrometer for?
    Also photos of the boolits and gun please?
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I still have a 1/2 quart of sperm oil that i use, don't know what i'll do when it's gone. That was what was recommended in the old days.
    ATF fluid is, essentially, synthetic sperm oil... I have also heard that jojoba oil is chemically very close to sperm oil.
    Last edited by H.Callahan; 05-15-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Master

Ed's Red if you happen to have that around
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

All my mics are cased and are treated not to get them dirty. However I do clean them from time to time. I use 91% Iso alcohol and Q-tips for the tight areas. Just a very tiny bit of oil. Too much oil attracts dirt dust and etc. A dab of quality light gun oil or motor oil will work as will atf. I have some Starrett tool oil for micrometers, calipers and etc, it is basically a very light 5w or so oil.