Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: My $100 S&W showed up.

Boolit Master

My $100 S&W showed up.

Had been waiting for my $100 pistol to get to my hands be it a trip to Fla to get it or it came up here w someone. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010131.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	150940

Boolit Grand Master
    1917?

Looks like fun will be had on your next trip to the range.

Robert

Boolit Master

The police are probably on their way to your house, right now........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Great price for a great revolver!

Have fun.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I could probably ask what a mutual friend did to it, not sure I want to. He had it apart to duracoat it, replaced the main spring pretty sure he told me. I usually take a gun apart anyways, the cylinder is not completely locking, it does but sometimes you can try and turn the cyl and it will unlock and spin, not when its cocked, just the hammer down. May need a new cyl lock, or just the spring, also saw it can be the screw if somebody shortened it. No telling in a gun this old. Its a 5 screw gun, still has the serial numbers, I know some end up ground off over the years. The pachmyers are not bad, wish I had a set of factory style to try and compare.

My mom brought it up, her grandson is out of school for 2 weeks, fall break. She wants to shoot it, will make up some light loads in the auto rim brass I have.

Boolit Master
    I guess some people should just not mess with guns. The guy who did it is nice enough, just haphazard. Crane and Cyl came off unintentionally, the screw had backed out, found none of them were tight, could take all but one screw out with a thumbnail. Not a drop of lube anywhere internally. Duracoated inside, I would have taped it off. So now what was probably nice and polished from years of use is now nice and rough inside. And is there a specific main spring for these guns? I know he replaced it, but cocked sits on the edge of the rebound slide.

Boolit Master

Tackleberry,

I'm pretty sure they weren't a specific main spring. Did he shorten the main spring screw? That can make the main spring not sit right.

Does the crane still have the hold open pin/spring? I would bet they're gone.

Good luck with the old warhorse.

Cat

Duracoated inside? Oh Lord. I wonder what solvent dissolves it. Did he coat the bore too?
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I figured there was more to keeping the crane in than just the screw. Didn't figure it would be like the more modern S&W, but more to it. Have to dig up those parts. No telling when they disappeared. Hammer spring screw looks normal, might get a new one when I get new internal springs. Cant figure it would hurt to replace all the springs.

No solvent on the duracoat, a narrow chisel scrapes it out. No grease, no oil, dry as a bone inside. Guy who did the work, well hes been bedding a guys rifle for coming up on a year now. I doubt he had any tape, so didn't tape anything off. I certainly wouldn't have duracoated the ejector star. The cyl scraped off what was on the back of the forcing cone. I could spend the time and effort redoing it, but its a $100 gun, will just shoot it a while.

Boolit Master
    Wolff has hammer, rebound, and cyl lock springs, so no issue. But Numrich only has the yoke stop spring, not the stop. Guess I will have to make one.

Not paying the stupid amounts wanted for grips for one of these.