Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brass Webley .455 Mk. I, anybody interested?

Thank you. I've always liked that cartridge and the guns chambered for it.

In Remembrance
    I'll need to give this case some thought since I'm going to be getting a small lathe anyway. Which 1 I have no clue but I get a headache from all the research I've done on the subject for over a month now. Since I convert cases anyway and I get more than a few PM's asking if I do other stuff this 1 seems to be right up my alley.

The biggest issue by far is acquiring the parent case and the company I got my last batch from did it in a very timely manner they still seem to make there production run on those every 6 months or so.

The 1 thing I do know is that the finished product isn't going to be cheap by my standards at all. Something of this undertaking takes time and special tooling the way I do things and I'm sure I'm going to need details, which details I have no clue yet but there's always those 1 or 2 things that seem to be missing when it comes to information. The 1 thing I can say right off the top of my head is the finished product will have an extractor groove in it. I don't care what the parent case is they come with them already....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    Sad news folks. I contacted our dealer and he told me that there is no chance that production of Webley Mk I brass could happen in foreseeable future. Too bad, I really wanted this to materialize, but demand for existing products is so great that anything new is on hold.

Just in case, I saved complete list of potential buyers. If something changes later on, I will restart this thread.

Sorry, I tried, but odds are against us...

I wonder if they would change their mind if/when that Pakistani Webley-Fosbery becomes available here in North America? See a picture of it here: New Production Webley-Fosbery Revolvers. I sure would like to get more brass!
    Rule .303

I think it would be great if there was a die that would flatten the 45 Colt rim to the right thickness to leave only trimming to make a Webley case.

In Remembrance
    FYI...I made a clamp holder for the ones I made, although they turned out kinda fugly. I need to make another holder for the case and pick up a few different carbide inserts (it'll be a while yet) and this time I'll make the holder out of a better metal, I used aluminum the first time and it's not the best idea I had just something I tried.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Virginian View Post
    I think it would be great if there was a die that would flatten the 45 Colt rim to the right thickness to leave only trimming to make a Webley case.
    I've been working on this in my spare time for several months. I have a die that's making usable brass now but still have some improvements that need to be made. I reckon a real machine shop could build something pretty easily. I'm amateur with a capital A.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been thinning rims on 45 colt brass using a drill press and a file. It's low-tech and not very fast but I made 200 455 MKI brass over a couple days in my spare time.

I put a drill bit (don't remember the size, will update in a few days when I get back to my shop) in the press and put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the drill. You are going to use this as the holder. Slide the 45 colt brass onto the bit/tape, it needs to be tight enough that it won't slip but not so tight you damage the brass putting it on.

Once you have the brass mounted on the bit so it rotates without too much throw out, use a medium or fine crosscut file on the back side of the rim as you rotate the brass case. Grind the teeth off the side of the file that will be against the body of the case so it doesn't cut into the cylindrical body of the brass. Trim a little, measure, and repeat. When you get the right rim thickness (I cut mine to .039"), use some steel wool to smooth out the cutting marks. Once you get going it takes a few minutes per case. You'll need to clean the file regularly with a wire brush. Trim the brass to length and you have .455 MKI brass. I used Starline but expect it shouldn't make any difference what brand of brass you use.

I'll take some pictures and post them when I get home next weekend. It's not fancy but it does work and I didn't ruin any brass doing it. I've told a couple other people about it and it is working for them too.

Boolit Mold
    Onty
    Kindly include me in the list of potential buyers. Hopefully at some stage in the future a production slot will appear.

Boolit Master

Any progress on finding a supplier??
    Thanks
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Man

Please remove me from the list. I have since found out the pistol I have is the 44 webley not the 45.

Boolit Buddy
    Not much to inform, except that potential manufacturer informed dealer in Canada that they are going to put brass Webley 455 Mk I as a their regular product. When this is going to happen, no hint yet.

For all of you outside of USA, Canadian dealer will be able sell brass world wide.

As soon as I have more info, I will let you know.

Onty
    Last edited by Onty; 04-01-2020 at 03:17 AM.

Boolit Master

Great news, keep us updated. I think the Mk I is a much better reloader's case than the Mk II.
    Last edited by ddixie884; 10-12-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    thanks

Boolit Buddy
    the book of caibers that are close to what you want says that the .45 schofield is real close to the .455 webley. I shot my .455 webley with .45 schofield and it shot pretty good. and my cylinder is only fairly close lining up with the barrel. but it was fairly accurate.my gun has not been "shaved" to handly .45 ACP.

Boolit Master

Onty,

If you haven't already rattled their cage (and maybe even if you have), you might show your interest list to both

Hornady, who has produced MKII brass in the not too distant past, and. . .

Starline, who offers "basic" rifle cases and other length variations on the same case head, and they also make some pretty obscure stuff.

You might even throw it out to Fiocchi to see if they want to get into the components market. Their small primer MKII brass template is an irritation, but if it's what we can get. . .

It might be worth figuring out what the nominally longest case was that used the Webley-spec head, and indicate to the manufacturer that this could give them the basis for the entire family.

In the interest of "selling" the concept, you may want to plug it as ".455 Colt/Eley/Webley MKI" and drop a few makes & models of guns that ate it. I think the problem with approaching a brass vendor with a request for "Webley brass" might be that the knee-jerk reaction is that it's not good for any other type of revolver.

I'd like to see someone producing long and short cases, if possible. If it can come down from an "exotic" price point, my personal interest would be more for about 500 of the shorter MKII cases with large primer pockets, seeing as that's what I'm running (Hornady) in my MKVI. At this point though, I'll trim if I have to / want to.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I second Bigslug's motion.

Boolit Master

Here ya go guys - not cheap at $0.75 cents a piece, but it exists: http://www.buffaloarms.com/455_Colt_...=.455%20Webley

Edit to add: Might be better if you scroll the whole menu: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Search.as...=.455%20Webley
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Onty, who was the brass manufacturer you were referring to. That is if you feel comfortable in sharing.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

ttt.................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

In Remembrance
    Figure I would keep this thread alive with an update.

I used 45AR (Auto Rim) brass, it was good except for the head diameter being small. Had a person have 1 piece slip past the star extractor and the fun began.

I'm not going the 45LC route, the head diameter is the same size so why bother with it.

I have a batch of Starline 45 S&W Schofield brass on the way for a customer. The head diameter is .010 larger than the 45AR and the 45LC which makes it right on the low of the tolerance as far as specs go. You can still make the MK1 and MKlV out of it since the length is the only difference.

I'll be adding those to my VS page at .50ea plus shipping in the near future...
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 08-24-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Annealing Services

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast