Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brass Webley .455 Mk. I, anybody interested?

Boolit Buddy

Brass Webley .455 Mk. I, anybody interested?

Latest info; I just found that Starline is making shorter 455 Webley MkII brass. Well, this one is not my cup of tea, but if some shooters want it, it's available:

• 250 ($105.00)
    • 500 ($194.00)
    • 1000 ($372.00)

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...5-Webley-MKII/

Will inform my dealer, so if he can order it, and eventually sell world wide, this could be good news for our shooters in Europe/UK, Australia and New Zealand.

ON HOLD. I was informed that production of Webley Mk I brass could not happen in foreseeable future. Too bad, I really wanted this to materialize, but demand for existing products is so great that anything new is on hold.

Just in case, I saved complete list of potential buyers. If something changes later on, I will restart this thread.

Sorry, I tried, but odds are against us...

I had a chat with a gentleman who is a dealer, and after informing him that there is no brass Webley .455 Mk.I (.860 long) on the market, he agreed to take a look and contact manufacturer to see if noted brass could be made. The brass will have a solid head, not old style balloon head.

This brass could be also used to load ammo for revolvers chambered in 455 Colt/Eley.

If he gets positive answer, brass will be available in USA and world wide.

The crucial question is what would be the price? At this moment, I have no answer yet. However, considering that this is going to be a special run and relatively small production, price should be higher than for 45 AR, 45 Colt, 44 Special and similar revolver brass. My very rough estimate; expect to be as for rare and “exotic” revolver calibers.

As soon as I receive information about price and approximate time when it will go into production, or any other crucial information, I will post it here.

Also, if you have any comment and/or additional information, please post it on this thread.

Here are drawings; new design and original:

Brass Webley .455 Mk.I , list of potential customers (name, camouflaged e-mail, quantity):

1. Onty, ibcdiesel at netscape dot net, 500
    2. Springfield, whytelw at comcast dot net, 250
    3. GrantRCanada, X at X dot X, 250-500
    4. dromia, X at X dot X, 250-500
    5. Gary D, X at X dot X, 250-500
    6. PB234, X at X dot X, 250 or more
    7. Dan T, X at X dot X, 250 or more
    8. GarretA, X at X dot X, 250
    9. bonza, arquebus1523 at yahoo dot com, 250 or more
    10. jethunter, X at X dot, X 500 or more
    11. 40-82, X at X dot X, 500 or more
    12. oldbrownhat X at X dot X, 100
    13. JRL, X at X dot X, 1500 (added by Onty, JRL is not member yet)
    14. Dead Dog Jack, X at X dot X, 100
    15. ddixie884, dgilbert07 at windstream dot net, 1000
    16. bearbud, X at X dot X, 250
    17. B.C.Jay, X at X dot X, 250
    18. reader, reader452 at gmail dot com, 250
    19. Dave_n (Co*nwy-at-ver*izon-dot-n*et). Make the usual substitutions and removal of hyphens and asterisks, 500
    20. brooklands
    Last edited by Onty; 03-24-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Master

I'd buy 250. whytelw AT comcast.net

Boolit Master
    Is that the same size brass as the fiocchi stuff that I can't seem to get anymore?
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dschuttig View Post
    Is that the same size brass as the fiocchi stuff that I can't seem to get anymore?
    No, Fiocchi brass is shorter Mk. II;.740-.760". I think that Hornady offered it for a while. If someone wants Mk. II, this Mk. I brass could be easily trimmed down.

Also, noted brass (ammo) Mk. I, .850-.870" long, could be used in revolvers chambered for 455 Colt/Eley. Here is the specification:

Last edited by Onty; 05-19-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Onty:

In view of your location, I am hoping this is something which will be available to us in Canada - is that the case?
    (The restrictions on exporting such items from the U.S. have sure gotten beyond tiresome! )

I would probably buy at least 250, if not 500 .... depending on price.
    Last edited by GrantRCanada; 05-27-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    Grant
    Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Moderator Emeritus
    I'd be in for 250 -500 obviously depending on price, I am in the UK.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantRCanada View Post
    Onty:

In view of your location, I am hoping this is something which will be available to us in Canada - is that the case?
    (The restrictions on exporting such items from the U.S. have sure gotten beyond tiresome! )

What Grant said for me too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantRCanada View Post
    Onty:

The dealer is located in Canada, so we should have no problem of getting it, he will organize export from USA and distribution. As I mentioned, this brass will be available world wide.

Another main issue is to get enough customers in order to meet requirement for minimum production. Hope to have this information, and price, in foreseeable future.

I would appreciate if some of our friends from Australia and New Zealand inform other Webley shooters on their forums.
    Last edited by Onty; 05-17-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am in for 250. Maybe more depending on price.

Boolit Mold
    Yes for me, too. 250 plus, depending on price.

Dan T.

Boolit Mold
    I'm concerned about your rim thickness dimension. All of my .455 revolvers show very adequate headspace with brass of rims of .039". Some of my modified brass measures as large as .045 and those rounds still chamber and work well. The drawing I have is from an old Handloader magazine and it shows .039 rim thickness. What is your source for .031 to .036 rim thickness?

Dan T.

Quote Originally Posted by dangt View Post
    I'm concerned about your rim thickness dimension. All of my .455 revolvers show very adequate headspace with brass of rims of .039". Some of my modified brass measures as large as .045 and those rounds still chamber and work well. The drawing I have is from an old Handloader magazine and it shows .039 rim thickness. What is your source for .031 to .036 rim thickness?
    The diagram Onty shows in Post #1 comes from a set of such drawings in Dowell's "The Webley Story". That range (.031" to .036") constituted the "low" and "high" range of rim thickness specified by the War Department, the nominal rim thickness given in the List of Changes entry for the Mark I cartridge having been .0335". (In other words, the range in the Dowell diagram represents .0335" +/- .0025" ....)

To confirm the nominal rim thickness of .0335", here is the actual List of Changes entry for the Webley Mark I cartridge -

(As a matter of interest, the dimensions of the Mark I .455 cartridge case were virtually identical with the earlier Enfield revolver case, and indeed the cartridges were interchangeable in Enfield and Webley revolvers ......)
    Grant
    Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in 250+

arquebus1523 AT yahoo DOT com

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in 500 ior more dependant on price. It's not hard to make from 45 colt brass so if it's too pricey I'll go that way instead.
    Last edited by jethunter; 05-31-2013 at 11:57 AM.

I'd be interested in 500 or more depending upon price.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 40-82 View Post
    I'd be interested in 500 or more depending upon price.
    Well, if we have a large order, I would expect that the price will be lower.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I would be curious for prospective purchasers to actually measure the existing head clearance in their revolvers. Many of these revolvers in the US have seen hard use and have excessive headspace. My Webley Mk4 and Colt New Service both accept .45 Cowboy Special brass, which is a .45 ACP case draw, having a .45 Colt head turning operation performed on it, with measured rim thicknesses of 0.055-0.059". In the case of tighter guns which actually have the proper head clearance it is a simple matter to face the case heads to obtain the exact dimension required using the facing cutter of a Wilson case trimmer, holding the case in a .45 ACP case holder.

In any case I would recommend that new brass be manufactured at the maximum material conditions permitted under their original drawings. The drawing posted does not indicate tolerances, but based upon my observations of guns which I have measured the 0.033" should be the minimum and a tolerance of +0.0015"/-0.0000" should work well. Attachment 72237Attachment 72239
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by dangt View Post
    I'm concerned about your rim thickness dimension. All of my .455 revolvers show very adequate headspace with brass of rims of .039". Some of my modified brass measures as large as .045 and those rounds still chamber and work well. The drawing I have is from an old Handloader magazine and it shows .039 rim thickness.....Dan T.
    This has been my experience also. My Colt New Service measures 0.050! and accepts cut-off .45 Colt brass without having to face-off the heads on all but about 20% of them.

Boolit Mold
    Tagged for interest! I might be interested in a smaller quantity, say 100.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast