MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finn m/39 Mosin-Nagant - new LER scope mount

Boolit Master

Dutch,

I tried to install the mount I got from you today and am having trouble drifting out the hinge pin for the ladder. I used a clamp to press the flat spring down and remove the pressure. I tried drifting from the right side (looking down barrel from rcvr) and then the left side. Nothing budged in either direction.

BTW... my sight has the very same number as yours (86432).
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Dutch,

I tried to install the mount I got from you today and am having trouble drifting out the hinge pin for the ladder. I used a clamp to press the flat spring down and remove the pressure. I tried drifting from the right side (looking down barrel from rcvr) and then the left side. Nothing budged in either direction.

I use Mayhew starter punch, 1/16" size. Then the regular punch. It may take a good heathy smack if it's never been removed. But it is not a tapered pin and there's no reason it won't come out... eventually.

Those numbers 86432 are the range numbers in yards. Do you know how many guys thought that was the serial number of their rifle? (me too).

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Dutch,

Mine was difficult to start movement, but after that was pretty easy.

"And yet another possible solution is to mill a dedicated drill fixture from scratch with a hardened drill bushing and revert to the original plan of using a .120" drill and the ladder pin as the method of attachment. This would involve a couple hours more milling time and a block of 1"x1" square steel plus some more math to locate the holes. This is a viable solution but we'll put it on the back burner for the time being."

Yes

If you stop by, you can use my height gage for the locations of the holes.

Frank

Boolit Master
    So where we at ?
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    So where we at ?
    I received 20 more rails yesterday so this next week I'll be out in the shop. I'll post here in this thread when I have some ready to mail out. I don't collect $$ until the item is finished.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    What ring and scope are combination are you that have Dutch's mount using? I have the mount and the work Dutch has done looks first rate now I just need to know what rings and scope to look for. Thanks all.

Boolit Master

I gave the mount to my dad and we mounted it last weekend using "rifleman" medium rings made by weaver. The low mounts did not work due to the sight ears. For a scope we used an older 2x Simmons pistol scope he had laying around. The eye relief was perfect with the scope mounted as far away from your eye as the base allowed. He hasn't shot it yet but everything looks good. Now I need to buy one for myself
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Thanks Fishman, with your and Dutchman having to use a medium ring heigth I will get a set ordered.

Boolit Master

I deleted a couple unnecessary notes in this thread.

Update 7-2-13

I re-engineered the front attachment doing away with the ladder pin and instead using two M3x.5 socket head screws threaded into the rail itself.

It makes no difference in actual use, either method of attachment. But there was a minor logistical problem in the way I drilled the rail for the ladder pin which resulted in mis-alignment in a couple rails. One got past me and is being replaced.

I drilled out the rear sight base to .125" from .1185" (3mm). Then I made a simple drill bushing that I hold in place manually while drilling with the #40 (.098") drill.

Then I made a simple guide bushing for the M3 tap that I hold manually while tapping. In practice it worked out real good.

There are 9 more that'll be done in the next few days. Out of those 9 I think 6 or 7 are spoke for but I have an additional 10 rails ready to start. $35 delivered in the U.S. Let me know via PM or email if you're interested. If you've already let me know then I already have your contact information and I'll notify you when the mounts are ready to mail. I don't collect funds until things are completely finished. Paypal or money order, either way is fine.

Dutch

Boolit Mold
    Dutch, I would like to buy one picatinny rail from you. Please check you PM or email. Thanks!

Will these work on the Russian MN, or just a Finn? I have both. Thanx

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    Will these work on the Russian MN, or just a Finn? I have both. Thanx
    This is just for the Finn. For Russian MN, I bought the following from Amazon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosin Scope.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	83803

This Youtube shows how to install. I don't need to cut the upper barrel cover because I use the NcStar rings. Here is my Mosin with the scope:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	83809

I have put thru 100 MilSup boolits with the scope. At 50 Yards, it is sub-MOA and the scope holds up well. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by bluewater; 10-09-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Boolit Master

Not doing any more of these. I've moved on to a new project, sorry.

Dutch

Boolit Mold
    Dutch, too bad that you are not doing it anymore. It is such a good design. If you decide to do it again, please let us know as I am sure that the demand is there.