RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What long gun do you consider most beautiful.

What long gun do you consider most beautiful.

Was cleaning a few guns after a range afternoon and after closing the safe, I got to thinking about guns that just flat look good to me or visually appeal the most. Forget function or handguns for now---just long guns and tell me what you think is sexy or rings your chimes when you see one. You don't have to own the one you choose, but I will bet most of you do or are looking for it to add to your collections.

Mine is the Savage 99--without a doubt the lines and slimmness of the old Savages really draw my attention. Have since I was knee high to a grasshopper and I bought my first one at age 15, just because I could not resist the draw. I will not lie and a 99 causes a rise in the Levi's, but maybe do increase my heart rate a little.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    leaveraction winchesters do it for me. but then i could look at a nice 03 for a long time. or even a half stock pa. rifle. i like them all.

Boolit Grand Master

In my safe it's a recent-production Winchester M70 Super Grade. Awesome wood, metal finish and overall fit and finish on top of a classic design. Other days it's hard to beat a nice, clean M94. OTOH I have a riot gun named Blondie, girls like her are sometimes beautiful indeed!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Winchester HiWall
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

In My safe it is a Sharps-Shilo model 1874 long range Express with 34" Barrel. Second though i have never been real happy with it is a Hatfield flint lock Third a Kodiak .58 X .58 muzzle loader.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Levergun. Marlin 336 or a win 92 with nice wood.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

1895 Winchester
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

a true "sporting" Mauser not a military one done up nice but one that left the factory with hunting as its primary roll, love the veteran Mausers as well but the lines and elegant fit and finish and ooo those pear shaped bolt handles of the sporters and if it has double set triggers look out I'm buying it. And of course the but ugly nagant rings my bell hard. Useful durable and in my budget even at the worst of times. guess that's two picks but that's okay, ask me a day from now and I might pick two others.

Boolit Master
    I am very fond of single shots...the Winchester Highwall...and the Ruger #1 and #3 do it for me.

Boolit Master
    The Remington #7 rolling block rifle with the tang sight. There is just something that catches my eye in the 100 year old pistol grip single shot, and the curves of the receiver with that sweet sight hanging off the rear point. Of course, I have only ever seen one in pictures. Best pics for those who have not seen one: http://merzantique.com/museum/hard-t...ng-block-rifle
    Last edited by texassako; 05-11-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is just something about a long barreled pistol gripped leveraction rifle with a reciever sight. Such as a Model 64 Winchester or my current Model 336A Marlin. They just look right to me.

There are others though, I think it kind of depends on the mood I'm in. An M-14 or a longish barreled Mauser with a straight tubed scope looks good too.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Sharps '74 for me stays in the front of the safe so I see it whenever I open the door !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master

The Marlin 1894.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A fine flintlock Pennsylvania rifle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I am with Waksupi here. A fine long rifle just can't be beat.

Boolit Master
    My Ruger 77 Mark II Magnum .416 Rigby, with the tri-leaf rear sight, awesome french walnut, and blueing that you can use as a mirror.
    It shoots as well too, elegant, over engineered, and not ever for sale.
    Aside from that the Ruger No. 1 in all the variants are my favorite.

Boolit Bub
    Mauser action with Mannlicher stock. Ruger #1 International a close second...
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Master

I would have to say the mod 99 Savage is my number one. I only have a half dozen or so of them and buy every one I can. My second choice is a well made flint lock long rifle or trade gun.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Hard to say for me. Like a lot of different guns. One that sticks out that I have always wanted is an M1 Garand. May not be the most beautiful chunk of steel and wood but it appeals to me.

Boolit Buddy

The Ruger Number 1 for me.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast