Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't Anybody Drive A Ford

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEX BILL View Post
    I would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

Bill
    Having worked on both Ford and GM powertrain projects for a Tier One equipment supplier, +1000

A year or so after I retired my old boss begged me to come back to help with GM projects. Offered me silly money, and I said NO.

And I'm seriously wondering what Recluse is smoking.

Type F is only for much older Ford xmsns. At least 10-15 years ago they got together and agreed on a common spec for ATF.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    My Tundra was made with 75 percent American made parts and was assembled in the US. As for profits, with a global economy does that really matter any more? How many "American" businesses are owned in large part by foreign nationals? Is Chevy stock owned solely by Americans?

I bought with my brain, not my heart. My brain said buy Toyota. Matter of fact, so did my mechanic and many others I asked. Good enough for me.
    Yup. My advice for many years to those looking to buy a vehicle is to go to the nearest Toyota dealership and buy the model that suits their needs. If you happen to need a 4x4, crew-cab, diesel dually, buy Ford Superduty and have a 12-valve Cummins installed in it.

My first vehicle is a 1946 Chevrolet pickup (I say IS because I still own it and after the 240,000 miles that I put on it, it still runs, even though I haven't registered it in over 15 years), a vehicle that Americans came home and built the year after they finished either rescuing or whipping the butts of every major country on the globe. It's a fine machine. My wife drives a Toyota because she's the most important person in the world to me, and I really don't give a damn who made the best vehicle our money can buy. Americans have always had the best opportunity to make great vehicles, if they blew that chance, then tough cookies. I also own Japanese guns with Winchester logos on them, because the Japanese made them better.

You misguided patriots should be thanking your lucky stars that countries other than the USA have the intestinal fortitude, the vision, the ethics, and the desire to compete with our products, because if they didn't, we'd be stuck in the union monopoly having to buy their trash. Remember the Pinto, the Dart, and the Chevy II? That's what we had before there were very many imports to choose from. The VW Beetle was at one time both the best and cheapest transportation available, and almost every American family owned one. America's response was to build the Corvair.

So you can "Ford vs. Chevy" all you want, but to do so is to miss a bigger point.

Gear

Banned

the chevy-II was a great car after you replaced the wiring front end rear end engine and transmission.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmemiss View Post
    Yeah, the UAW really designed some crappy cars, remember the ones you had to pull the engine in order to change a spark plug, and those rusting out rear windows the union workers designed. They really killed the US the auto industry.
    Just goes to show, you haven't a clue about the auto industry. The UAW has no input, what so ever on the design of an automobile. Any and all designs flaws, can attributed to the white collar sector (salary / management). Ask me how I know. I was a UAW pipefitter for 37 years with GM. Ten years of that, I was assigned to the Design staff at the General Motors Technical Center. I repaired, among other things, Don Cherry (head of the design staff) porcelain throne. Ran into Bob Lutz more than once. Never once did anyone ask the lowly hourly worker for our input.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    1978-79 f-350 with a 460 are some of best trucks on planet earth to this day. Simply bulletproof drivetrains serviceable for many lifetimes. They absolutely do not make them like that any more.
    460 huh? How many miles to a quart of oil?
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

I had a Mercury(senior moment. I can't remember the model) about that time with a 460 engine. As I recall it got between 9 and 12 mpg. Great road car. If you got it up to speed, you hoped you didn't have to stop quickly.
    John
    W.TN

2014 Silverado

My 460's never used oil. I did replace the pan gasket do to a leak, didn't even have to jack up the truck or engine. My last classic ford was a 77 f-250 with a 460 & c6/205 it got 12 loaded unloaded nice & easy or pedal to metal. It was set up fer plowing. Best plow rig I ever owned. Never got stuck, but pulled out or pushed through all other brands newer older & of the same era. Had a 78 with a 460 that I swapped a 5 spd in and it got 15mpg. Had a Lincoln mark 5 with a 460 it had hiway gears and on the hiway it would get 16mpg but only 11 in town. None of them ever burned oil or failed me. I can rebuild the entire truck 8 times fer what a 2014 city boy Chevy pick up cost. I was never worried bout scratches dings or dents with those ole tanks either, in fact I bet you wouldn't drive that purty 14 Chevy down my favorite roads. Why is tis in the boolit lube forum?

Boolit Master

Remember the Pinto, the Dart, and the Chevy II?
    How about the Pacer?? Had to be the ugliest car ever until the new boxes started coming out.

I have had three ford trucks. First one had 150000 on it when I sold it. The second has 349000 and still runs. The last one has 238000 and is my daily work truck. I love the old straight six cylinder 300ci .

I drive a Ford.

Had a 1976 1/2 ton. 302-3 speed, headers, hi-rise intake, Elgin torquer cam, Elderbroc AFB 4-barrel. Loved that little Ford small-block.

Had a 1979 E350 van with 460...same. hi-rise intake, Elgin torquer cam, and Holly 780 Double-pumper. Took it to the mountains camping. I passed everything on the passes. Love that Ford.
    Now I got another E350 with a V10. Great piece a machinery.......

I use Dexron in my lube.

Why is tis in the bullet lube forum?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnutt View Post
    I drive a Ford.

Had a 1976 1/2 ton. 302-3 speed, headers, hi-rise intake, Elgin torquer cam, Elderbroc AFB 4-barrel. Loved that little Ford small-block.

Had a 1979 E350 van with 460...same. hi-rise intake, Elgin torquer cam, and Holly 780 Double-pumper. Took it to the mountains camping. I passed everything on the passes. Love that Ford.
    Now I got another E350 with a V10. Great piece a machinery.......

I use Dexron in my lube.

Why is tis in the bullet lube forum?
    Don't worry, it will wander back on topic eventually!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Don't worry, it will wander back on topic eventually!
    At least you hope so. Seems everyone enjoys bashing American cars too much, yet bitch about buying Tula primers cause they are foreign made.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Type F will absorb into the lead, then when fired the gas-cutting separates the antimony from the lead and tin and since the antimony is the "hardness" factor in the boolit, you'll pit your barrel to Hell and back.

>

>

Once the pitting happens, you'll have to firelap it except with a compound to remove the pitted antimony. The compound is called Zerchristium and it's used in the aircraft industry to strengthen the titanium "bathtubs" that are forged around the engine and crew compartments on the Pave Low HH-53 USAF SOG choppers. It's expensive as hell, has a hazmat fee that is almost the price of a new gun (you might be even better off simply replacing the barrel--be cheaper in some instances).

>

>

But the real problem with the compound is that it is almost impossible to get completely out of your fingers and fingernails and gun-owners and boolit-casters being what we are, at some point you'll reach down to scratch your privates and then your Johnson will ALSO get pitted and THAT will mean a trip to the urologist--which under Obamacare will damned sure cost you more than a new gun, lapping compound AND the proper type of transmission fluid you should've used in the first place.

Think about that before you just go willy-nilly changing up the sacred order of ingredients.

I have no idea if all that is true, and I've never owned anything other than a Chevy, but I'm afraid to even ride in a Ford now.

Boolit Master
    FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

BAGTIC has it wrong! FORD = First On Race Day
    Or you can buy a Chevy which is FORD spelt backwards:
    DROF = Driver Returns On Foot

Yep, hijacked
    Yep, sorry to the op
    Yep , used to be a chevy guy
    Yep, I drive an American made Toyota with American made parts
    Yep, Duramax is an Isuzu motor, Japanese design, probably made in Mexico, and assembled in Canada....how American is your Chevy? Dont get me started on the Bailout money which probably came from China.
    We have had 2 Fords, a 2001 v6 mustang, probably the biggest *** car we owned and a 1998 thunderbird, that was a good car, I regret selling that one and like I said I was a chevy guy.

Dont know about the atf, I dont have any trouble finding Dexron, my last batch of Bens Red seems to be working well.

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

Boolit Master
    2012 F250 SUPER DUTY King Ranch (diesel). Mighty fine piece of equipment. It's my 'tug' for my 33' RV.

My first vehicle was a 1946 Willys CJ2A. Another mighty fine piece of equipment.

Right now my daily driver is a 1999 Ranger, 4-banger, 5-speed. It's been a good vehicle, still is at 150K.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

F - found
    O - on
    R - road
    D - dead
    I've owned 3 fords. Never got service from them. Most all the Chevys had well over 100,000 when traded. Only had 1 Chevy that was a problem.
    Lots wont drive anything but Fords, but not me.

Boolit Buddy

atf type F is for old(antique) fords
    most any auto parts store should have on hand Dexron/Mercon which is dexron I;II;and III. there is also dexron VI a full syn.

by the way the new fords use Mercon of some type they make up to mercon V now.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ATF Ford had NO friction modifiers to make it shift smooth so the racers used it cause it did not add slip
    ATF Dexron II,III are no longer licensed anyting called that could be anyhting.
    ATF Mercon is old ford and will work in most all backward applications for Dex II,III

ATF Mercon 5 is newest Ford
    ATF Dexron 6 is newest GM
    Both are long life oils with a good portion of either SYN or GPII,III oils
    Generally the newer oils are syn based long drian and very shear stable, all this is for longer/consistent shift feel.
    When you pay 30-50K for a car the mfg wants it to feel smooth

Also trans fluids are going thinner and more shear stable so are motor oils as in 0w15.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast