Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: BBs for tumblin ??

Boolit Master

Question BBs for tumblin ??

Has anyone tried BBs or steel shot for tumblin in a wet media situation ???

Thinkin of going wet on the brass cleanin , I like the idea of the inside & pocket being as clean as the out side . It would be like using new brass !!
    GP100man

Boolit Master

Well a BB won't get tight into the corner of the primer pocket and might be to hard too, or they could end up leaveing rust stains. It is an interesting thought tho.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    BB will lodge in a LP/LR primer pocket.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

In Remembrance
    I get in a lot of brass a month, and every now and then I come across some that have been cleaned with BB's. Let me tell you something about BB's, they get lodged inside a 223/5.56 case like you wouldn't imagine. You ever try and get stuck BB's out of a case? I find them a bit to late as I'm trying to cut the necks off when I make my conversions, talk about ruining a $2 metal blade in the blink of an eye.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

I did for many years until recently i now use SS jewelers mix.

Boolit Master

BB's will definatley rust and won't clean nearly as good as stm.

I use ceramic balls (2mm) in my vibratory tumbler with water, dawn & LemiShine and it does a nice job in about an hour. the only problem is the spheres can get stuck in the flash hole. Even with that, they pop right back out when I run them through the deacpper to resize/form the cases. It's a trade off - I didn't want to spend a fortune to get a tumbler big enough to handle 1500-2000 cases and then spend the $$ on stainless steel. I gave the ceramic a try in my tumbler and it works well enough.

Copper BBs will also turn the brass a coppery color. I throw some in when I tumble formed 22lr brass for jackets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    rust but maybe something smaller

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input brothers ,I guess it`s time to annie up & get some SS pins !
    GP100man

I've been putting off the cost of upgrading to ss pins too, but I want them.

I just got 5lbs from Phil3333 and I'm convinced!! I was worried about the cost but got lucky. My Dad had an old Thumlers model A with no drum and it needed a belt. Used a Vac belt for the pullies and found a 1 gallon food grade plastic container. It works good but I am gonna need to upgrade the drum portion drum is a little thin. Looking for another option for the drum, but for now it works.

Quote Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
    Thanks for the input brothers ,I guess it`s time to annie up & get some SS pins !
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Bub
    Coug91, where do you get your ceramic ball? Is there a particular kind that's bests? I'm about fed up with the crushed walnut shell ****. I've been just using a liquid cleaner alone on my pistol brass and hand polishing rifle brass. I'm thinking I'd like to try it your way.