RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: AR-15 Stuck Case

Boolit Master

AR-15 Stuck Case

My buddy has a gunshop and one of his customers came into the shop with a Rock River Arms AR-15 .223 with a case stuck in the chamber. When I came in to see my bud, he showed me the upper and asked what I would suggest to get it out. Now, I looked at the thing and it looks serious. Probably a reloading mistake. The head of the case is gone and the shoulder and neck of the case is also gone. All that remains is the case body in the chamber. My pal says he thinks the guy shot the wrong ammo in the gun, but I really don't know what the situation is. Anyhow, we tried a tight patch and also an oversize bronze brush pushed into it and then backed it out with no luck. This thing is in there really tight. I'm thinking it's time for professional help either from the factory or a gunsmith. The only thing I can figure is the head of the case seperated upon firing and the base was ejected. The owner of the rifle probably knocked the neck off trying to get it out??? We were kinda reluctant to do to much for fear of damaging the customers gun just in case it's not screwed already.

Just thought I would ask you guys in case I'm missing something simple.

Boolit Master

I would try a broken case extractor
    look at this link http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?i...a-0a2c6a069381

It grabs the case mouth and allows the extractor to pull the case out

If this dosn't work , I would send it to the manufactor

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    I would try a broken case extractor
    look at this link http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?i...a-0a2c6a069381

It grabs the case mouth and allows the extractor to pull the case out

If this dosn't work , I would send it to the manufactor

John
    The shoulder and neck is gone, broken shell extractor won't work.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never worked on an AR-15, but I can tell you what worked for me on a Marlin that had a similar problem. I was able to reach in with a dental pick and place it between the case body and the chamber. I then gently bent the case inwards enough to get a curved hemostat to grip the brass, and pulled out.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    eka:

One trick I have heard of is, if you have any Cerrosafe, plug the bore ahead of the chamber, pour the melted Cerrosafe in, and when it sets up, whang the whole mess out from the front end. Never tried it myself, but it sounds OK, and if it doesn't work, you can melt the Cerrosafe out with gentle application of a propane torch.

454PB:

Yeah, IF you're very careful! I bought an original Winchester '73 in .44-40 years ago someone had stuck a case in, but he had put a gouge in the chamber wall that hung the fired cases up on extraction. The rifle went back to the seller; too bad, it was a nice one, at a good price.

floodgate

Banned

I have to ask. Where the hell did the front of the case go? Ive seen cases that had seperations and pulled the back end of the case out but never one that the neck and shoulder dissapeared!!! I cant see how it would be possible

Boolit Master

Screw a fine threaded tap into it. That'll give you something to whang on.

Moderator Emeritus
    I used a Garand chamber cleaning tool to pull out the one broken case I have ever had in an AR-15. The chamber tool was inserted from the breech, turned slightly and then removed. The brush is stiffer than a cleaning brush.

John

In Remebrance

Use and EZ out spiral type screw extractor. Trun it gently and it should come right out. Worked for me a dozen times.

Boolit Master

cerosafe would be the way I would try to remove it. If you take the barrel off of the upper you may have better access to do the removal. When you remove the cerrosafe casting remember to use a heavy hammer, it will make the cast and case pop loose easier. also use a rod/dowel that is close to bore diameter so you don't get alot of flex.

try putting the reciver in the frezzer for 6hours as brass srinks faster thansteel
    it sometimes works more times than not .after frezzing try a broken shell
    extractor or aoversize bore brush i have used this a few t imes and it always workedfor me

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I too thought of the Cerosafe idea, but don't have any right now. As for what happened to the neck and shoulder of the case. I really don't know. I'm thinking the owner broke it off trying to get the thing out before bringing it into the shop. I'll pass along the advice to my pal that owns the shop and just be thankful it's not my gun.

Keith

Boolit Master

Guess I miss read the post

But how do you leave just the body of the case in the chamber ??

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    I'd just send it back to RRA. They will take care of it and not damage the chamber. Far cheaper in the long run than taking a chance of damaging the chamber and ruining the barrel.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    johnch:

"But how do you leave just the body of the case in the chamber ??"

Well, I once found a section of case, from the case mouth back past the shoulder, from one of the old European 11 mms, half-way down the 100-yd.range, with rifling marks the full length - obviously, it had gone through the barrel along with the bullet.

floodgate

If you were careful you could cut it out with a chambering reamer.

Boolit Master
    I'll second the "easy out". I put the kroil to it for 24 hours and then use the easy out. I've done this for folks a few times with no problems. As soon as the brass turns at all it will draw right out, no pounding required
    BD

Boolit Buddy
    HEy BD's right on the money!!! Kroil + time ( at least twelve hours) + anything tight fitting. I've probably taken 50 + stuck/broken cases out this way. A tap lightly screwed into the case will give you some meat to beat on but be careful as it will damage the chamber in a heartbeat . A mild steel bolt works better as it won't scar the chamber as readily as a tap. I generally use a over sized bronze brush. Sometimes you have to just walk away and let the kroil do it's thing. What usually causes this is rust/dirt/neglect. Though I have seen some guns right from the factory with chambers rough enough to do this... YMMV
    Have a good un'
    Calvin