Thread: 4 x 6 open trailer?

Boolit Bub

Question 4 x 6 open trailer?

Hi,
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    C.

In Remembrance
    I have always built my own. What you are looking for will depend a lot on what your use for it is, but what advice I can give you is get one that is built for heavier loads than what you are intending to use it for.

I agree with the heavier rating.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Man
    What are you looking for in a trailer besides the size?
    Off-road capable?
    Sides/No sides?
    What are you looking to do with this trailer?
    Basic utility?
    Camping/hunting?
    What other features are you looking for?
    Same wheels as towing vehicle?
    Expandability (Rack for fuel can, lots of tie-downs, etc.)?
    What weight capacity?
    What are you looking to haul?
    What are you towing it with?
    Are you set on 4X6?
    Would a larger trailer also work? (5X8, or 6X8)

These are all considerations you might want to think about. You may want something like http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...1&d=1233887640, but need something likehttp://www.eastsiderv.com/images/pho...lity-4-x-6.jpg

Boolit Bub
    How about one of the HF ones that cost around $300 +/- a coupon...Don't laugh. They are pretty decent. I bought one when I retired from the Marines and put my Harley on it and drove 2,000 miles cross country with no issues...just an idea.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ric-san View Post
    How about one of the HF ones that cost around $300 +/- a coupon...Don't laugh. They are pretty decent. I bought one when I retired from the Marines and put my Harley on it and drove 2,000 miles cross country with no issues...just an idea.
    I got one off craigslist, the kind that folds up. It was a 4x8, it was not finished yet (no floor) so I used wire mesh to keep it light. Worked great for the riding lawn mower and stuff like that. When I got my Kubota tractor I had to get a better trailer so sold it for about what I had in it, wire mesh and all.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ric-san View Post
    I prefer to not have to orient my motorcycle at an angle, so I prefer a trailer that is more than 6 ft long. An 8 ft trailer would work better, but some of the larger bikes are a bit longer than 8 ft.

Actually, some boat trailers can be redesigned to work well for motorcycle trailers with a bit of welding / modification. The ones that have a sunken center section work best -- just weld a piece of channel iron along the centerline of the sunken area. Since it is so low, the angle between the ramp and the channel iron is not very great.

Boolit Buddy

I took a boat trailer ($50 at a yard sale), shortened a little for the size I wanted. Stripped it down and repainted it, wired the lights and beefed up the axel and springs. I had a swimming pool that someone gave me to take down and haul off, it was 100% aluminum and had a really nice deck on it, also aluminum. After some cutting and welding on them to get what I want I will be mounting them to the frame. My plans are to make it a box trailer with four sides and a top that will open. When opened up my tent will be on top of the trailer, with a ladder going up to it. Under the top, with the sides open, will be my kitchen and grill, and 4 wheeler storage. The trailer itself will have jacks to level it and keep it steady while in the tent. With it all folded up all the the 4 wheeler, and all camping gear will be tucked nicely inside. When I arrive at home, I grackles it in the barn and unhook. Pull up to the house, get the dirty clothes and dishes out of the truck and the camping trip is over. It's a work in progress right now but when I finish it I will post some pics folded up and spread out.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?