WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 blackout subsonic cb load data?

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone worked up Alliant 2400 loads with the Lee 230gr that they can share?

Vendor Sponsor

Attachment 71507Attachment 71508
    Not crimped was 6 rd group, crimped was 5 rd group.
    First load tryed in these..Alloy is 50% lead 50 % COWW + Tin this shows promise to be a good shooting load
    These were also shot thru a YHM Suppressor
    100% feed and last shot held open.
    Sunday will try dropping to 8.3 grains to see how far I can drop before I get reliabilty issues .. Then I will begin to fine tune the loads

so far every 300 Blkout subsonic load I have tryed has shot better groups with a Crimp.. Jacketed or lead & pc'ed ..
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 05-25-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Reference last post above for load data ...down to 7.9 grns of Lil gun .. 100% feed/cycle and last shot hold open

next to refine for group size

Boolit Mold
    Have you had any more time to refine your load for accuracy? This looks like a very promising load, have you had a chance to Chrono it outof the short barrel? Longer tube?

Vendor Sponsor

sorry I have not .. Have more loaded ready to go just been super busy
    hoping to shoot some this Sunday afternoon if weather co-ops
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    I am building 300 aac blackout upper, 1/7 twist, pistol gas port , use with silen , have speer 200gr buller and rl #7 powder looking for reloading data for subsonic . can't find much data out there or not wording it right

Vendor Sponsor

Attachment 74474tryed 12 more rds at 7.9 grns Lil gun .. no improvement in group size .. but got 100% Feed/Function/last shot hold open.. in 2 groups of 5 and 1.. 2 shot group .. no leading or buildup of any kind.. 1 patch push thru and totally clean ..
    Waiting on my custom dillon powder thru expander for the blackout for a more control on the neck sizing and flare
    my 308 was a completely different story.. 5 shots in less than 3/4"

smoke-
    what yhm suppressor are you using? and at 7.9gr lilgun is it subsonic?

Vendor Sponsor

7.62 (dont have the number in front of me but think its 3300) and yes in my 10.5" its right at subsonic
    going to drop to 7.8 and 7.7 and try again

Boolit Bub
    I have not gotten the chance to test these for accuracy yet

110 hor SP. 5 grains trail boss. 1045 FPS
    245 cast. 5 grains unique. Pretty quiet. 1020fps
    245 cast. 3 to 3.5 grains of n310. Very quiet suppressed. 700 to 750 FPS

Remington 700. 16.5 barrel

Vendor Sponsor

Just got done with some prelim 2400 Powder and H4198 Loads
    7.2 Grains of 2400 gave full function and very quiet..with 3 rds in a 10 Rd colt GI mag
    9.8 Grains of H4198 gave full function and also quiet but slightly loader than 2400
    6 Grains of Trailboss was the quietest of all but not full function..
    its bordering on compressed load so really don't want to go higher
    .. have to wait till Sunday afternoon to check accuracy and chrono
    will do my best to get back here Monday with results

still playing with lil gun .. getting good function just have not found the combo that gives me the accuracy I desire .. need to start varying seating depth and crimp pressure

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Just got done with some prelim 2400 Powder and H4198 Loads
    7.2 Grains of 2400 gave full function and very quiet..with 3 rds in a 10 Rd colt GI mag
    9.8 Grains of H4198 gave full function and also quiet but slightly loader than 2400
    6 Grains of Trailboss was the quietest of all but not full function..
    its bordering on compressed load so really don't want to go higher
    .. have to wait till Sunday afternoon to check accuracy and chrono
    will do my best to get back here Monday with results

still playing with lil gun .. getting good function just have not found the combo that gives me the accuracy I desire .. need to start varying seating depth and crimp pressure
    Interesting to see your trials and progress! I am working on nearly the same exact work(up/down) I'm trying out different loads using the lee 230blk and Lyman 311-679- the "bore rider"-in theory. Still lots of paper zombies to exfoliate before all the data is in.

Rifle: 300AAC blackout
    1-7 twist 9" suppressed
    Pistol length gas system
    Brass: LC cut and resized
    slightly beveled at mouth (to allow insertion)
    light crimp
    Powder: lil gun, R-7, A2400
    CCI sr primers
    boolits: Lee 230 blk, Lyman 311-679. 200 grn. Both sized to .309 and 180 SMK's
    OAL: 2.210
    Results: Still looking for the winner!

I have had lots of varying results, although, the conditions haven't been perfect. Pushing through crappy spring weather to get out and get some numbers. What I've learned- when going for numbers, do it in a controlled environment.

Anyway, The lee 230 seems to hit on target better so far than the L311-679. But, I only just got my iron sights mounted and truthfully, don't know where 0 is yet because working up loads and struggling to sight in at the same time doesn't really mix!!
    The lee 230 leads up the bolt quickly - around 40 rounds. I can remove the BCG and find build up between the bolt and carrier. I'm in this project to find the balance between the Bhn and powder load with given twist while staying subsonic. No real leading in the bore necessarily so,,, trying to calculate just what exactly is going on here. The lee 320's are lubes with LLA, the Lyman 311-679's are hand lubed the same as if it were lube sized. My intended goal is 975fps. No ftf's or hold open issues at all with the last round.
    I have been keeping track of velocity with the work-ups though, and I've discovered some oddities. With 10grns A2400 and 180 grnSMK I get 1060fps with a 124 ES, now I go to 10.5 grns and "check this out" I avg 1051 with an ES of only 18. ?? 1/2 grns lighter on the powder and same bullet is faster and less consistent. The same happened again with the lee 230. 8.9 grns Lil Gun = 991, increase the load to 9.2 and I lose 20 fps. The spread was about the same though.
    I put a gas check on the L311-679 200 grn and wow! At 9.5 grains Lil Gun, I'm hitting 1207. But, (and here's where it get's interesting) a couple will hit target, then the fliers came. Back and forth from target to somewhere in the 5:00 vicinity around 2-3 feet from center of target at 50 yards. Not sure what's up with that but had to quit before getting a strike at that rate.
    Still sorting out the next wave of micro adjustments and will be happy to post as new data arrives.

Boolit Master

Ya know I had a similar experience using h110. At 9.0 of h110 ES was 160ish with avg 1020. At 9.2 ES was lower and avg the same. I'm thinking more consistent ignition

Boolit Bub
    Lil Gun, 110, and 296 are inconsistent in reduced loads. They are great for magnum pistol loads. Using fast rifle powders
    produces plenty of gas to operate action and soft launch of cast bullets. They will not produce top velocity in supersonic loads
    with jacketed. My favorite powder for both sub and super loads is IMR4227.

Tim

Boolit Man
    Have loads of RL7(10.5) and IMR-4227(9.5 using WSR) that cycle the Lee 230 ok but the best by far is 9.8 of AA1680.

Well I finally found some time to try a few test loads using the LEE 230gr mold and I need some help refining them.

First some info on the guns im using.(I don't have a suppressor yet but hope to this year)
    #1 AR pistol with the CMMG 8.5" 1/8 twist barrel w/pistol length gas system with Aimpoint comp m2
    #2 AR rifle with Palmetto 16" 1/8 twist barrel w Carbine length gas system with a 16 power scope

The bullets are 230gr BT cast from the Lee mold. I don't remember the Lead BHN but its not soft. They were powder coated and sized to .308
    I probably should have sized to .309 but I don't have a .309 die yet.

I tried 4 different loads yesterday in both guns at 50 yards. All loads used CCI Bench Rest SR primers, had an OAL of about 2.225 and were lightly crimped.

The 4 loads were:
    1) 10gn of IMR 4227
    2) 10.5gn or Reloader 7
    3) 5.8gn of Unique
    4)11gn of A5744

The Unique loads: Failed to eject in both guns, did not hit the paper out of the rifle and left a 5" group from the pistol.

The Reloader 7 loads: Ejected 9 of the 10 loads but would not cycle enough to chamber another round in either gun.
    They had a 3.5" group with the pistol and 5.5" with the rifle.

The A5744 loads: Ejected every round but only re-chambered one or two following rounds. They had a 4.5" group from the pistol and 3.5" from the rifle

The 4227 loads: These were by far the best load. They all ejected from both guns but would not cycle either gun enough to chamber the next round or lock the bolt back. They produced a 2.5" group out of the pistol and a 1" group out of the rifle.

All of that being said, here is my question:
    I am going to try and refine the 4227 load since it seems like the best so far. I'm wondering what would be the best route to get it cycling properly? Should I try to size them to .309 or bump up the charge or both? I still have a bunch of the powder coated bullets sized to .308
    IMR data for the 230gr BER TACT bullet is:
    IMR 4227 .308"
    2.260" OAL
    10.2gn MAX 1,065 FPS 37,100 CUP

Double Tap

Boolit Buddy

I have some test loads setup and just cast and coated a bunch more lee 309230's to play with. I use primarily A1680 and have always had great results with that loading subs for the 300blackout. I don't shoot suppressed (yet) and it works the best for me. I have a couple others that I can try, H110 works well for supers, but I mostly load subs. Looking forward to testing some loads in the next week or so.

I have some sized to 309 and will load some 'as cast' (about .310 at the lube grooves), some with PC, some with Hi-Tek... lot of testing to do.. lol
    Last edited by Sticky; 01-24-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Donald150, are you using the same loads in both gas systems? I ask only because you will be able to use more powder in the pistol system than in the rifle system and still stay subsonic thus giveg you better odds of proper cycling etc. Pistol length barrel loads can/will go super sonic out of longer barrels. Can you tell if your loads are subsonic or super sonic? I've worked a little with imr4227 in my 16" carbine gas system AR, but I finally found some more AA1680 and have dropped the pursuit. The few loads I tried would eject, but not pick up the next round. When I bumped up the powder to the point they would cycle reliably I was getting the sonic crack. I've also had the same results using RL7 and 5744. Best powder, at least for me, has been AA1680 for subs that cycle and give BHO on the last shot. I've played with a few loads with fast pistol powders that are REALLY quiet but won't even unlock the bolt.

I've really been thinking about getting one of the new Ruger Am Ranch rifles in 300BLK or a barrel for my Encore just for the fact that most of the tinkering folks have to do loading for the blk is due to getting an AR to cycle reliably with powders other than 1680.

Yes, same loads in both guns. I would love to find some aa1680 but no luck so far. I found 5477 and bought 3 lbs but it wasn't the substitute I hoped it would be.

The rounds loaded with Unique were by far the quietest!
    And I am definitely buying one of the Ruger ranch rifles when I find one IN Stock and at a good price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast