WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Something new today casting

Boolit Grand Master

Something new today casting

Had a casting get together today Myself and 2 other gentleman came over. I dont like being here alone working with molten metal. One brought 3 molds with him A lee 480 grn a 457125 and another that He brought for me to try since I am working with paper patched bullets. Lymann blocks but on the lower part was stamped BALLARD it was an cup based adjustable nose pour. It was set to cast a 512 grn bullet roughly 1.380 long. I ran a few over 300 today out of 20-1. Ive been working with bore riders at .442 dia wrapped with .002 paper for .449-.450 dia. This bullet is .450 dia tapered to .446 so its going to be a groove dia patched I assume. The mold was a dream to use it warmed up and cast great bullets quickly and probably 80-85% of the time the bullets dropped out on opening. It appeared to be able to cast a bullet around 1.5" long or so. Very small flat on the nose to boot. Was an interesting day we cast 110 lbs of 20-1 between the 3 of us. Im looking foreward to testing this new bullet. Any suggestions on what to try what to do will be greatly appreciated

Boolit Master
    That sounds like an interesting mould. I'm a "patch to bore" guy and would be tempted to patch that bullet with 8lb Seth Cole paper. That would bring the .446" part up to just under .450" and the rear to about .454". But that's just me. I've never worked with a tapered mould before

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive always patched to bore also .442 2 wraps 9# omion brings it to 449 - .450. Thats why Im asking for pointers. I wrapped one with 25% cotton rag and came out .460 base and roughly .456 front. Was a great casting mould though. Im going to try them with 2f black under them. Will have to seat them deeper tham my bore riders though.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    A lot of folks like those Ballard blocks.
    You'll likely want to get a thinner paper to get the best in accuracy from that bullet. Seth Cole 8 lb. has been treating me well with the larger diameter bullets.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

"I dont like being here alone working with molten metal"

Not me! I don't want a dang soul around when I'm casting! Too much BS gabbing just allows for inattention to detail and IMO the more likely-hood for a screw-up!! I cast by myself and I take no telephone calls when working! This theory has worked pretty well since 1948!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    110 lbs ls a lot of casting!!!! Never did that much even when I had casting partner.
    But his wife.decided he can't do that anymore and so he had to sell everything, guns
    included.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I also prefer my cast by my lonesome. I just put on some of the "old time" radio plays and cast away. It's really peaceful casting at my cabin with not a soul in sight, or sound.

Chris.