MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7.65 Arg neck size die

Boolit Grand Master

Question 7.65 Arg neck size die

I'm looking for a neck size die for a 7.65 Arg. I know RCBS has one, but would really like a Lee Collet die.
    Lee can make one for $50.00. The RCBS is $20.00.
    Has anyone tried to use a Lee collet of another caliber to neck size the 7.65 Arg?????
    It would seem to me that if you could find a die, that has a shell that is close to the same length, it would work. The mandral may have to be changed, but that's easy enough.
    Closes I foind is the 7.62x54R that is 2.114 in length. The 7.65 Arg is 2.106. I don't think .008 is going to be that much of a problem.
    So what do you guy's (and Gal's) think??????

Boolit Master
    I don't think Lee makes a collet for the 7.62x54 either. I have a Lee 303 Brit collet die so I ordered an extra collet and mandrel. It took some tinkering to find the right length but I shortened them to fit the 7.62x54. The collet was shortened in a lathe and the mandrel was cut off at the top so it would still decap. I peened a small ridge on the mandrel so it would stay in the sleeve. I don't think you can buy a 303 collet without getting the die set. If you don't have a 303 that might be a problem. As close as the two are you might be able to go that route.

I went one farther and made a larger mandrel to size brass for my 91/30.It needs a .313 bullet so I turned a .3115 mandrel to make bullet seating easier,it also works the brass less.The sleeve had to be honed out to hold the larger mandrel so I used Buckshots instruction for honing out a bullet sizer. I know you were asking about the Argentine but this might give you an idea on what you can do with a collet die.

beemer

Boolit Master
    beemer Quote: "I have a Lee 303 Brit collet die so I ordered an extra collet and mandrel. It took some tinkering to find the right length but I shortened them to fit the 7.62x54. The collet was shortened in a lathe and the mandrel was cut off at the top so it would still decap. I peened a small ridge on the mandrel so it would stay in the sleeve."

I stumbled onto a used collet die for the .303, bought it cheap and modified it for my 91 Argintine in 7.65 just as you did. I made a concave cut across the top of the mandrel to make peening it over easier. Works fine. Now I need to find a cheap used .243 collet die I can convert to work for my old 6mm International 40X!

But, for abunaitoo's problem, if I didn't have access to a lathe I'd just order one from Lee as it's the superiour neck sizer design. IMHO.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    If you look at the case head to bottom of shoulder length for the 7.65 Arg. and the 7.5x55 Swiss you will fin that they are almost identical. LEE does offer 7.5x55 Swiss collet dies.

Banned
    +1 on the 7.5 Swiss collet die. That die also works like a champ for 7.62X54R.

SSB

Boolit Master
    Yes, access to a lathe would help. I like to play and tinker so all the work wasn't really work.If I didn't have the means to rework one I would buy the custom die.
    Lee collet dies are one of my favorite Lee products.

The 7.5x55 die sizes necks to fit a .308 dia. bullet. Argentine Mauser uses a bullet of.311 or .312.I ran into the same thing with the Russian, when I tried to seat .311 or larger bullets in the case it was badly deformed.I needed an expander to open up the case. If a Swiss die is the right length it will probably need a larger mandril. I used a 303 because the mandrel is designed for a .311 bullet.

You can skin this cat more ways than one and end up with the same thing. One thing I like about this place is all the different ideas. You can pick the one you like but don't forget the rest, you'll need them later.

beemer

Boolit Grand Master

Smile Thanks for the info

I just checked the Lee site. No 7.62x54R collet die. Next best would be the 7.5 Swiss, then the 303 Brit.
    I just happened to have both, and (I don't know why) two of the 303Brit collet dies.
    I guess I have some experimenting to do.
    I do have a lathe.

Boolit Master
    Then you are in business. Let us know how it works out.
    beemer

Boolit Grand Master

Talking Tried it today

I tried it today.
    I used the Lee .303 Brit Collet die as is. Had to use the 7.65 Arg shell holder. It worked great.