Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Factory Rifle or Build Your Own?

AR Factory Rifle or Build Your Own?

I have never built one but thought I would ask.

I was thinking that when things settle down I might build or purchase an AR before the next Craziness hits.

So I thought who better to ask than the Other Nuts on this Great Forum.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    I have done it both ways. Sometimes you can find a deal on a complete factory rifle that you can't purchase the parts for. But it is fun putting one together. A lot depends on what your uses or goals are.

Boolit Bub
    I think a ar-15 build is the way to go. you can put the things you like on it but the draw back is tool to assemble. friends built there cheaper than what the store was selling for during the chaos

Boolit Buddy
    I bought my first complete and assembled my second. Enjoyed learning the rifle during the project. Be careful, if you are trying to save money, might not be the best route. My second rifle cost more than my first, with similar features-nothing fancy.

My experience dates back to pre/post ban era. Good luck!

Boolit Master

You may consider J&T Distributing. Their "kit" comes with the upper assembled and headspaced. They offer about any style and any option. Basically you assemble the lower and you are done. J&T is the parts side of Double Star.
    Buying from them eliminates about all the special tools needed to torque the barrel and headspace.

Boolit Buddy
    I built mine - it is fun - but a factory rifle will probably cost less and usually has a warranty.

I would venture to guess there are few of the completely non assembled / non spaced build kits out there. I have bought lowers and added an LKP and pinned in mostly complete uppers. I have also done some 0% and 80% lowers but never the uppers. If you wanted to actually build from scratch the parts could add up plus some of the tooling can get expensive. Go / no go gauges, reamers and barrel jigs start adding up for a one off project. Please note there is a lot of shade tree / beer can engineering that can be done to accomplish almost anything you wish to do. I will say I have a deep seated pride in all of the AR’s that I have built vs buying as complete rifles. If you like projects I’d recommend an AR build as there is so much information available to you from many who have been there.

Boolit Master
    I've built a few of my own uppers and lowers from totally stripped receivers and parts.

You need to be comfortable and handy with basic tools. You need a basic vice, a standard torque wrench, a set of punches for the roll pins, screw drivers, allen wrenches, a barrel nut wrench-combo tool for installing the barrel and the castle nut for the receiver extension tube. You'll also need an action block which is a plastic block that holds and protects the upper receiver in the vice during barrel install. (Don't use the plastic blocks that fit in the mag-well for that!)

If you buy quality parts from reputable dealers everything just bolts and pins together without any technical wizardry at all. There are some decent youtube videos that show the whole process and call attention to some of the particulars. Buying bargain-basement parts can make the job more like assembling a piece of IKEA furniture with missing hardward and mis-aligned holes, though.

Boolit Bub
    Definitely build your own! Each and every build is a one of a kind. I have built 8 just for myself. (3- 5.56, 2- Grendel, 1-9mm, 1- 7.62 and 1 Beowulf) There is a sense of pride and achievement with every one that I've completed; not only for myself, but for friends and family as well. Words can't describe the feelings when you take your first animal with a gun you built, ammo and bullets you made.
    As others have mentioned there is a world of info out there on building your own.
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Master
    After the gun control BS subsides there are going to be some GREAT deals on receivers and parts kits. That will be the time to purchase and build your own.

Boolit Master
    That could be a while. The alternative is to buy all super-premium parts because they're so expensive during normal times they don't experience the same price hikes and unavailability during threats of gun-control.

For instance, a BCM brand bolt/carrier group goes for $140 regularly but since November has been marked up to $200+ if you can even find one for sale. A JP brand, or Young National Match bolt/carrier group normally goes for $200-$230 and will be more frequently available at the same price now. Instead of buying a run of the mill receivers, now's the time to shop for one of those fancy monolithic uppers and matching billet lowers.

Whatever you do, don't spend a fortune on cheap **** just because its the first thing you find available. That's really getting ripped off. I'm talking DPMS, Del-Ton, RockRiver, most unbranded small parts. Fine at normal prices but not worth the current mark-up. Stick with Daniel Defense, Larue, BCM, Geisselle, etc.

The cheap-quality way out is to hunt down a new Colt 6920. Its a very basic AR but its 100% quality, already assembled, and will be a solid purchase at any price. Building your own in this market is going to take money and patience.

Boolit Buddy
    I built my first AR in 1983, and have built many since then. I also purchased a colt factory HBAR years ago. I have a problem with many of the current factory uppers. They are built such that the you cannot alter the uppers. This is in part because of the NJ laws that say the flash hider has to be welded on. As soon as you weld the flash hider on, it makes it very difficult to change the barrel and/or fore-end configuration. I much prefer no flash hider over weleded ones.

However, one of my local gun shops just got in 100 ARs so they are becoming available.

A good comprimise is to buy a complete rifle, then build a second upper to your liking. You will learn alot in the process.

Boolit Buddy
    Good idea right now, would be to find a receiver made locally. Watch the current laws in Kansas in reference to interstate commerce. Probably will not stand the federal scrutiny, but if it does, then you are one step ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Whatever you do, don't spend a fortune on cheap **** just because its the first thing you find available. That's really getting ripped off. I'm talking DPMS, Del-Ton, RockRiver, most unbranded small parts. Fine at normal prices but not worth the current mark-up. Stick with Daniel Defense, Larue, BCM, Geisselle, etc.
    Actually I would say the opposite, get a DPMS/ Superior ( what ever brand you would like lower ) an LPK and a complete upper. Then get a set of files/stones and practice, learn and don’t worry about F-n something up. If we’re going to talk alloys etc that is different but all of the receivers are either forge or billet. AR’s are not in most cases sub MOA firearms. There are a lot of things you can learn by doing your own trigger / fitting work. There are some better of the shelf brands then others but in that mix there are some shooters and some non shooters. Just my .2 but I have some 0% that I take a lot of pride in ( I also have some 0% well 50% paper weights ) as almost all of the parts are interchangeable and to a certain mil spec. its only because of the logo on the side this ever comes up.

I would definitely lean towards building my own. I built my own this past year (Luckily was finished before Sandy Hook). I watched a few videos on Youtube and couldn't believe how easy it was, so I thought I'd try it myself. The only thing I needed help with was torqueing the barrel, so I got help from a relative with tons of experience. It's the way to go!

My AR ended up getting expensive, but I picked and chose the parts I wanted. In the end, the rifle was EXACTLY what I wanted, and I didn't have a bunch of "take off" parts sitting around. If I would have bought a rifle, I would have ended up modifying most of it anyway, so I think I actually came out better in the long run. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameslovesjammie View Post
    I would definitely lean towards building my own. I built my own this past year (Luckily was finished before Sandy Hook). I watched a few videos on Youtube and couldn't believe how easy it was, so I thought I'd try it myself. The only thing I needed help with was torqueing the barrel, so I got help from a relative with tons of experience. It's the way to go!

My AR ended up getting expensive, but I picked and chose the parts I wanted. In the end, the rifle was EXACTLY what I wanted, and I didn't have a bunch of "take off" parts sitting around. If I would have bought a rifle, I would have ended up modifying most of it anyway, so I think I actually came out better in the long run. YMMV.
    Hi,
    This was my experience also. I was lucky enough to build mine right before the Sandy Hook Incident but still had some pain finding what I wanted because of Bozo getting back in the White House! I found a Spike's upper and lower and then got a DD CHF chromed barrel and bolt assembly and I was off. Very little specialty tools needed and it was a blast to put it all together! I also got just what I wanted and even found a used Aimpoint M2 red dot to go with it!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

All else being equal, a factory assembled rifle carries an 11% federal excise tax. Buy a lower and an upper and you don't pay that.

Boolit Master

My first one I purchased an assembled upper, stripped lower and parts kit. I have no Smithing experience and it was not difficult at all, remember AR's are military weapons and simplicity is one of the criteria. I have an 80% lower on its way that will become a 300BLK. I am considering doing this one completely.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy

Bought a complete one, built a couple. I prefer the ones I built because I know every sqaure inch of them and there is also some pride in shooting something you built, kind of like the first time you shot a round that you cast and loaded.
    The problem with our society is a decline in morals, only the people of this once great nation can choose to correct that problem, morality cannot be regulated by our government.

Quote Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
    All else being equal, a factory assembled rifle carries an 11% federal excise tax. Buy a lower and an upper and you don't pay that.
    just another thing in the "I did not know that pile" I guess it makes sense...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast