Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke a LEE Decapping Pin What is the fix?

Boolit Master

Broke a LEE Decapping Pin What is the fix?

Title says it all.

Tim

Boolit Man
    Call up Lee and order a half a dozen more. It won't be your first nor your last.

Boolit Master

Berdan primers will bend/break the pins.
    I got a die set for my -06 and was happily depriming away when I hit a berdan case. It broke.
    The pins are swaged into the die so you have to replace the inside sizeing piece. I haven't bothered to drill out the old pin, but the die is still good except for the pin.
    Watch those Berdan cases. They break pins.

Boolit Buddy
    send the broken one to lee, they will replace it free, i have to send one in myself. new ones run around 3 bucks a pop
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Grand Master

Call them up and the nice lady on the phone will ship you a new one. Just remember that your die is less than two years old

If you have other Lee dies, and need to keep using the one that broke, take the pin out of another one. Order a couple spares while you're at it. I've found that the only thing that breaks them is a berdan primed case. And now that I know how it feels to hit one I won't be breaking anymore. You can really feel the pin loading up before it breaks.

Banned

it seems like I never break stuff I have spares for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it seems like I never break stuff I have spares for.
    Always happens when you have insurance doesn't it??
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

On the universal decapper, I have spares but recently ran out. Turned the rod end for end, drilled a 1/16 hole, turned the drill around, put the shank in the rod with loctite, cut off the approximate length and was good to go. Lee will also take a picture of the broken pins if you can find the form on the web site. That saves mailing it back to them.
    RS
    Every time I'm about to do something, I think "Would an idiot do this?" and if he would, I do not do that thing

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    On the universal decapper, I have spares but recently ran out. Turned the rod end for end, drilled a 1/16 hole, turned the drill around, put the shank in the rod with loctite, cut off the approximate length and was good to go. Lee will also take a picture of the broken pins if you can find the form on the web site. That saves mailing it back to them.
    RS
    Cool idea, I have two decaping dies, one busted and one new one. The LGS only had complete decapping dies in stock and I was in a hurry. Sending stuff in for warranty doesn't work in Australia, it's a case of catch and kill your own. I recently bought a couple of 1/16th drill bits to make up a pin for a 1911 ejector. One of them is about to do a bit of work then become a decapping pin! Thanks for the idea.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Their pistol dies and universal decap die all use the same one so unless you just have one set, you have spares. They used to accept an email with a photo of the broken one and would send a replacement. I think you have to send them in now.

Boolit Grand Master

I recently broke the "unbreakable" pin in my universal decapping die and Lee was less than helpful. I just ordered a few replacements from Midway and moved on. I think 3 pins were about $10. The broke pin was no fault of Lee's, I just overlooked a small rock in the case.

Banned
    Send Lee the broken pin and they will send you a new one for free. You only pay for your shipping

You can order parts from Lee for free but pay a higher rate of shipping and handling.

Boolit Grand Master

In over 30 years of using Lee dies, I've broken one. I missed a chunk of hard resin tumbling media in a 30-30 case and tried to decap the case. It was my fault so I just bought 4 more from Lee...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Before the internet when I broke my first Lee "unbreakable" decapping pin I fixed it with a standard decapping pin and loctite. Try heating the broken end up to see if the heat will make the broken off pin section pop out (does about 1/2 the time) or grind/file away enough of the shaft to get a hold of the pin with a set of pliers. If you have a drill press you can make a little drilling jig. The decapping stem is around 3/16", so find a piece of metal 3/4" thick or so. Clamp the metal in the drill press and drill halfway through with a 3/16"ish bit then switch to a 1/16" bit and drill the rest of the way through. you now have a drill guide. Slip it on drill for a standard decapping pin and loctite it in. I've since got a lathe so I just use that. It's a lot quicker than ordering a new one. The old style pins were a needle bearing according to Lee, but the newer ones are just turned from the same decaping pin material and are much softer and bendy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee-jig2.JPG   Lee-jig1.JPG   Lee-pins.JPG  

Boolit Master
    Broken Lyman pins but you guys must be brutal to break the Lee pins ,I've hit a couple of berdan cases but just pushed the rod up through the lock nut .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I've found that the only thing that breaks them is a berdan primed case. And
    A spent primer inside a 9mm case will also break it!!! Todd/3leg

The old style Lee pins that are needle bearings are extremely tough but will eventually fail if you use them enough. The new ones are just turned from the mild steel they make the stem from and the pin is case hardened slightly. The pin next to the loctite tube was the new style pin from a 444 marlin die set that bent on it's first batch of 100 wildcat cases (expanded 30-06). One case had a little ridge around the flash hole and the pin ended up looking like a "J". It's done several hundred with the loctited in and trimmed decapping pin. When it eventually breaks I'll flip it over and be good to go for a while

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    The old style Lee pins that are needle bearings are extremely tough but will eventually fail if you use them enough. The new ones are just turned from the mild steel they make the stem from and the pin is case hardened slightly. The pin next to the loctite tube was the new style pin from a 444 marlin die set that bent on it's first batch of 100 wildcat cases (expanded 30-06). One case had a little ridge around the flash hole and the pin ended up looking like a "J". It's done several hundred with the loctited in and trimmed decapping pin. When it eventually breaks I'll flip it over and be good to go for a while
    Great info, Thanks.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

It would be interesting to know what two sizes and type of needle bearings they used to use for their decapping stems.

Boolit Buddy

Broke my first on a steel berdan 40 s&w case

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Broken Lyman pins but you guys must be brutal to break the Lee pins ,I've hit a couple of berdan cases but just pushed the rod up through the lock nut .
    I have a Reddng Turret press old model 25. The compound leverage and alittle power about the same as decapping military 3006 cases fired in auto loading rifles was all it took. This was a few years ago on some 40 S&W cases that were a dull nickle in color with berdan primers. At that time Lee required an email with a picture of the broken pin.afish4570

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast