RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broke a LEE Decapping Pin What is the fix?

Boolit Buddy
    I've also had a chance to break a Lee pin: as always when I did not have the spare part !!!
    I saw carefully and I noticed that the pin looked glued. I tried to pull it out with a pair of pliers, but it did not come out; but when I warmed up JUST with a lighter, he went out alone.
    I cleaned the seat with a drill bit of the size that came in with a very light resistance. then I broke the tip to the correct size and I fixed the cylindrical part (the one that is held by the drill chuck) with a bit of Attack! The drill bits (HSS ???) are much more resistant than the pin! I still keep drill bits as spare parts, but I've never used them!
    I do not remember the measure: in Italy we have the decimal system and not in inch. I think they were tips of 1.4 mm.
    In any case, just try possibly bringing the piece without pins into a hardware store.

Boolit Buddy

I can understand you guys outside the US, but for those here it only cost a few dollars for a couple of spare pins. It would likely cost as much to package up a die and send it in as to buy pins.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by L Erie Caster View Post
    It would likely cost as much to package up a die and send it in as to buy pins.
    This is where I was at with Lee. They offered to replace my pin for free if I mailed them the broken one. No offer was made to accept a picture. The cost to mail the broken one was close to the replacement cost so I just ordered a few from Midway, as part of another order. I guess I've been spoiled by Dillon and RCBS!

I've made replacement pins for RCBS and Lyman dies from the pins in pop rivets. Maybe not as tough as a needle bearing but I had a good selection of rivets, and they worked ok.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always decapped separately. I use the universal decapping die of the lee. Sending a die in the US for a decapping die costs as much as 5 DIES COMPLETE!
    And you do not always find them and then you have to send them to collect, and you can wait even months! If you use the broken drill bit, across the street and buy the tip in the shop in front of the house! Cost € 0.10! The broken end must be inserted into the pin hole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12