WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need help with Star lube sizer

Boolit Man

Need help with Star lube sizer

Thanks guys, I got the die figured out. Now I need help with a heat source. I have this lube that says it's made to use cold but then it says 90 degrees on it to flow. I don't have a heated base on it and am wondering what other ways I could apply heat? I used a torch very briefly but that liquefied it too much. It did work real well for a while after that but then of course hardened back up. I have a small lamp I tried to put next to it but it didn't seem to heat it up enough.

Is there another type of lube I could use that wouldn't need heat?
    Last edited by creature; 05-09-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Banned
    Call and talk to the folks at Magma about which holes to plug.

Purchase the die removal tool and make your life easier. Makes simple work out of removing a stuck die.

ADMIN

look here first

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ma-Star-videos

I can heat my star up and just push the die out by hand.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by creature View Post
    I'm wondering how to tell which holes to plug in the die(9mm and .45acp).
    Remove the lube from the outside of the die. Hold the bullet alongside the die and see which holes line up with the lube groove(s) of the bullet. All of the holes in the die that do not line up with a lube groove need to be plugged using shot and a small brass punch. This is also the time to set the punch depth, with the bullet still alongside the die lined up with the correct holes set the punch on the bullet base, this is the depth you need the punch into the die while sizing/lubing. With the die in the machine set the punch to go into the die the same amount you just determined with the handle fully depressed on the lube stroke.

Yes, warming up the Star where the die is helps a great deal in die removal even with soft lubes. Yes, call magma and order a die removal tool cause it's still easier with it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys, I got the die figured out. Now I need help with a heat source. I have this lube that says it's made to use cold but then it says 90 degrees on it to flow. I don't have a heated base on it and am wondering what other ways I could apply heat? I used a torch very briefly but that liquefied it too much. It did work real well for a while after that but then of course hardened back up. I have a small lamp I tried to put next to it but it didn't seem to heat it up enough.

Is there another type of lube I could use that wouldn't need heat?

Boolit Bub
    Use a hair dryer or a 100 watt light bulb close to the lube body. Do yourself a favor and get or make a heated base, it will make your life a lot easier.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Bob; 05-10-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling

+1 on the heated base. The easiest is to get an aluminum plate that you make the right size for the star to fit on and you have about 8 to 24 inches behind it to set a clothes iron on it set on low. The heat will migrate along the aluminum plate and into the sizer. Move the iron closer or farther away to further regulate the temp the sizer gets to. The iron set on low still gets hotter than you might want and distance traveled through the aluminum plate will bleed some of that heat away.

Boolit Man
    I ordered a heater today. The only other problem I'm having is that when I size/lube a bullet the lube gets all on the front of the bullet forward of the lube groove. I've tried adjusting the punch and I have all but the highest(ones closest to the punch) holes plugged. My bullet diameter is .358(NOE) and the die is .356. It's sizing fine, just throwing lube all over the bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Probably too much lube pressure for the consistency/temp of the lube your using.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Lyman has a heated base that fits for $50, Star's is $110 or so, do one or the other!

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Lyman has a heated base that fits for $50, Star's is $110 or so, do one or the other!
    Just remember that Magma heater comes with a temp regulator, and the Lyman does not. It is easy to make one for the Lyman by putting a light dimmer in-line.