Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 3D Printed Gun fired

Perma-Banned

3D Printed Gun fired

The first in a long line of technological advancements to completely circumvent anything but an all-out gun grab. It's only a single shot, but I'm sure a repeater is already in the works.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Boolit Master
    "The Liberator" I'm pretty certin the name has already been taken by another cheaply made single shot. Be that as it may the name is quite fitting as it's purpose is to wreck havoc on an oppressive government, same as the original. What I find more amusing is that General Motors made the first ones, it seems that their management has had a change in phlosophy since the 1940s. Download as many as you like and **** out as many as possible. These would make wonderful stocking stuffers.

Ebner

And they are already looking to ban it......
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Grand Master

Schumer is having a hissy fit.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

How long do you think before legislation is introduced to call a data file a firearm?

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Don't you just love technology........the faster they keep rewriting the rules, the further technology advances.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master
    Yeah and it'll only cost you a years wages to make em!

Meanwhile, you can buy a real gun much cheaper and all the machinists of the world laugh as they can make a reasonable copy of simple designs for less than a hund-o.

Boolit Master
    There will be a fee for the download and Congress will tax it.

Boolit Master

DeanW, I understand where you're coming from, the difference is the skill required to make the item. Not everyone has machinists skills; any tech savvy child can use a 3D printer. And the last I checked, 3D printers cost about the same as a low end CNC machine. I know, we've bought numerous examples of both in the last couple of years.

We often use ours to "proof" a design, or to make a solid example we can show to others as a "concept transmitter".

Two of my students just printed out an AR15 lower for a speech they are giving today. They just took their Solidworks file and sent it to the 3D printer and waited overnight for the result. Neither student is a machinist; for this neither needed to be, they still ended up with a lower receiver.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    There will be a fee for the download and Congress will tax it.
    Yeah, that's working out perfectly for the music and movie folks...

Boolit Grand Master

3D printers are available at Staples for $1,300...

Now that's a low end machine, but the technology is out there and getting cheaper and more mainstream by the day.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    3D printers are available at Staples for $1,300...

Now that's a low end machine, but the technology is out there and getting cheaper and more mainstream by the day.
    It always does.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

perfessor,

The plastics and glued cornstarch that we use in our sterolithography machines is in no
    way up to the stresses even for a AR lower for more than a few "stunt shots". In
    your opinion is this AR lower really workable beyond 5 rounds or for a .22 LR upper?

Seems like any bozo can use a 3/4 water pipe for 12 ga or car antenna tube (altho
    getting rarer now!) for a .22 zip gun. How much diff is this really, meaning the whole
    gun rather than the AR lower.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 05-08-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I first saw this technology at Westec 20 years ago. The machine was making a Monkey skull. It took a while but the skull was done in a red plastic material and was identical in everyway to the original that was digitized to make the file. That machine was over $100K, now they are less than $10K.

Apparently the file for the Liberator is available to all for download,,,, for the moment!

Schummer was defiantely soiling himself over this. Just another thing for our caretakers to keep their finger on, and as we already know they only have so many fingers available.

John Dillinger said it best,,,

" the FBI has to be everywhere all the time, I only have to be one place at one time!"

That statement pretty much covers living in a truely free country.

Point is,,, You can't "stop" anything!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    It's a simple fix. Congress will ban 3d printers. But those with 3d printers can print more 3d printers.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

MtGun44, DD has a working protoype AR lower that lasted through several (500+) rounds, and only failed due to an empty ammo box.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Boolit Master

The one my students made that I was referring to were made on our Stratisys 3D printer from ABS plastic. I don't think it would last one shot to be honest. It was made solely as a "pass around", to circulate through the audience while my guys gave the oral presentation of their capstone Senior Design project. This project was to design and build a tensile testing fixture to see how much force the front lugs could take before pulling off the magazine well/body. They tested three receivers made from die cast magnesium that a local company makes.

I will post their report in a later thread, don't want to get this one off track too far. Just wanted to answer MTGuns question.

I think a gun designed around the limitations of plastics can be made. I don't think just making a plastic version of a steel or aluminum frame gun is the way to go.

Vendor Sponsor

Fess: there is an outfit making AR lowers out of glass filled polymer. They are moulded, and done well, with a minimal amount of machining on the back end of the production cycle.

I have actually held one in my hands and I can assure you it will last. IN fact the work was first rate. When you consider the Glock, this is not a big stretch, since all of the real stress on the gun is isolated in the upper receiver.

Since I now own a Kel-Tec SU16 which even has a polymer upper receiver, I would venture to say that an upper reciever for an AR would not be a bad or otherwise unworkable idea.

These plastic AR receivers are alot easier to make than the corresponding part from pressure cast aluminum. Moulded from glass filled polymer and are nearly net after being ejected from the mould and require very little machining to finish.

I saw them at several Las Vegas gunshops earlier this year, and I almost bought one except it would have cost me more to send it to my FFL here in CA for registration, plus I already have a lower I can't find any parts for. Front Sight was also selling them for the same amount and I could have bought one from them as well

Point of all this is,,, when things go back to normal this outfit will be able to mfg these for a lot less than anyone can make metal ones.

I don't consider more AR's in this society necessarily a bad thing. I know you don't either. Cheaper they are to make the more of them will get out. That is the American Way,,, Right?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot several different brands of carbon or glass filled polymer lower ARs and
    examined them very closely afterwards.

It would not be my choice for a rifle to be used for bayonet work, but honestly
    how many times has a bayonet been fixed on an AR in combat in the last decade? No
    idea, but I bet is isn't much.

IMO, a polymer/glass or polymer carbon lower will be very durable in an AR for semi-auto
    work.

I agree that with a design for plastic, you can make at least a .22, but no rifling. Still
    the ease of smuggling in guns seems to totally trump the sort of silliness in
    reality.

Bill