Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 10.75x58R

Boolit Bub

10.75x58R

Anybody loading this cartridge ?

If so , what are you using for brass , bullets ?

Mike

Boolit Master
    The 10.75x58r russian berdan can possible made from 375 flanged. But there is a lot of work involved. This is a common cartridge . at cartridge shows there run appox 5$ each but if you know what your looking for @ Gun shows you can find original for A $1 each. They are also called 10.66x57-58 R or 42 russian berdan. Bullet size will vary depends on who shooting what. People shoot from .429 to .439 and up
    Original bress is Berdan Primer size is.254 berdan.
    cartridge conversion has loading info.
    Case size is in Cartridges of the World
    Most original will not fire. The one's I have did not.
    hope this helps
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    As usual, Buffalo Arms carries brass and dies(backordered). Those are some expensive cases though.

Donnelly's book says on converting 10.75x58r to use .50 Sharps cases, turn rim to .637", cut to 2.3", anneal, and FL size. It does not say which Sharps length(50-70 or 50-90). The Flanged shows as the base cartridge for 10.66x57r Berdan #2.
    Last edited by texassako; 05-06-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: more info

Boolit Bub
    I do not have one of these rifles , yet , but I intend to. The Berdan II is what I imagine my Great-Grandfather used when he fought in the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-1878. Berdans show up on GB occasionally , they can be pricey ! I think it would be cool to slay a deer with one since it is probably NOT advisable to shoot Turks this day & time.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I've been reloading for this caliber since the mid 1990s, and have fired hundreds of rounds. The rifles can be very accurate if the trigger pulls are manageable--some of mine have 12 lb triggers, not the best for precision shooting!
    Currently I buy .42 Russian brass from Buffalo Arms. It is made from a.348 Win basic case that they reform in house. I can usually just neck size those cases between firings using a 44 special die, and hand seat the bullets, but CH4D makes full length dies as well as seat dies.
    In previous years I've also used Bell .43 Spanish cases, fireformed in the chamber. This is not the Reformado case, but is the earlier necked .43 Spanish.
    In both cases, the rim diameter is slightly smaller than the original Russian case rim, so extraction of fired cases may require a very slight alteration of the extractor, or you might have to use a cleaning rod to push out the fired cases.
    Years ago I had a custom paper patch mold made by Hoch. It drops a nose-poured .422" diameter 360 grain RN bullet that I wrap to .432" with a 25% cotton vellum. My usual load is between 70-75 grains of Goex 3Fg, slightly compressed, then a wax paper wad, a grease cookie, and another wax paper wad to prevent lube soaking into the paper patch.
    I also use an old Ideal/Lyman #427103 mould that casts a 370 grain round nose grease groove bevel base bullet, with the same powder charges. Those moulds show up fairly regularly for sale on internet auction sites.
    Velocities with these loads range from 1350-1450 fps at the muzzle, very close to the original Russian service rifle loading.
    The difference in the land /groove diameters is substantial, iirc the groove diameter is .442 and lands are .432". The chambers will not accept groove diameter bullets, max being around .430-.432". Because of that you should use only very soft lead and imho, black powder only so the bullets will bump up to groove diameter.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by fgd135; 08-21-2013 at 10:38 AM.