RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: What style of boolit for .357 Rossi M92?

Boolit Master

What style of boolit for .357 Rossi M92?

For those shooting CAS or just plinking is your lever rifle picky on what you feed it? Also does anyone have a preference on weight of boolit?

I'm hoping to develop some nice loads that will shoot nicely out of my Rossi M92 20" and Blackhawk.

DWD

Boolit Master

For those shooting CAS or just plinking is your lever rifle picky on what you feed it? Also does anyone have a preference on weight of boolit?

I'm hoping to develop some nice loads that will shoot nicely out of my Rossi M92 20" and Blackhawk.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...OSSI-92-357mag
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Now why didn't i remember about that poll.....guess that tells me everything. I was curious if SWC were problematic in lever rifles?

Boolit Master

I was curious if SWC were problematic in lever rifles?
    Depends on the rifle. Both my Rossi's shoot and feed the Lee 158 TLSWC very well. Other people say they have trouble with anything but RN's or RNFP's. Mine will feed full wadcutters in mag cases if they are loaded long and crimped in the first lube groove.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Mine feeds the Lyman 358156 boolit with no problem if I use 357 cases.

Boolit Master

Has anybody any experience with a Lyman 358477 150gr in a Rossi 92?

Banned

I haven't tried the 477 in anything but 38 cases and it won't feed them.
    it will feed a swc in 357 cases though, and rnfp's, and just bought anything short enough to feed as long as it's in 357 cases.
    I tried some 38 cases and 1-2 other boolits, and it was a no go so I shrugged and just use 357 cases.

My home slicked Rossi was fine with SWC as long as I was not trying to cycle it at CAS like speeds.

For general plinking I settled on 130gn RNFP just because they cost about $12 less per 500. I'm not into casting my own for bulk use. And I shoot enough CAS events that it most certainly qualifies as "bulk use"....
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master

sparky45, I shoot the 358477 in mine with 357 brass. No problems. I also shoot the 358429 in 357 brass (crimped over the front drive band). Also cycles great.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike Golf View Post
    sparky45, I shoot the 358477 in mine with 357 brass. No problems. I also shoot the 358429 in 357 brass (crimped over the front drive band). Also cycles great.

May I ask what bhn and velocity you shoot those 477's at? What size do you size them to? And, is that the 150 or 158 grain version?

I have the 150 grain version and will be trying them in the Rossi when I finally get around to it. LOL!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot mine at 1600+ fps, water dropped COWW, sized .358. Not sure of the BHN but would expect it to be 16+.

Mine does not like the 358-429 and will hang up occasionally if I try that. 358-156 shoots the best at speed, the PB RCBS 38-150 (358-477 clone) does ok but does have some minor leading issues.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-29-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    May I ask what bhn and velocity you shoot those 477's at? What size do you size them to? And, is that the 150 or 158 grain version?

I have the 150 grain version and will be trying them in the Rossi when I finally get around to it. LOL!!
    I am not sure which version I have. My alloy is 94-3-3 and these drop at 157 gr. Lyman #49 references 150 gr using lino. I size to .358 and lube with Carnauba Red. I water drop and they are about 24 BHN (I let them age at least a week)

I have not chronied this boolit in the M92, but expect to this coming week. The load I am shooting does 1470 out of a 6.5" Blackhawk. I'll recheck BHN, as they will have aged 2 weeks at that point.

My 358429 load does 1750 out of the M92. Same alloy, size, and hardness.
    Jeff

I like the 477 boolit using .357 cases in my Rossi. I use the longer cases to avoid the build up of junk in the chamber caused by using shorter cases.

My Rossi struggles with heavier bullets but thrives on 150 - 160 grainers.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Finally chronied some 358477s.

14.6 gr 2400: about 1840 fps
    15.4 gr 2400: about 1875 fps
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy

158gr RNFP feed and shoot well in both my Rossi .357. I do have an occasional feeding problem in one of them when these bullets are loaded in .38spl cases, but the other one likes them fine.

Boolit Master

I guess the solution is to use 357 brass with the 477's and enjoy. I'll load some today; thanks for the tips.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 158gr RNFP for plinking and the 158gr SWCGC for hunting, and both feed great as long as they are loaded into .357 brass. I have a Lyman 357/358-156 mold coming but can't comment on it yet as I haven't had a chance to cast with it yet.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?