Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 7.7 Japanese and 303 British

7.7 Japanese and 303 British

I did a search, breezed through the currents, and came up with nothing so I will ask if there are any of the 30 caliber buys that are being made in a couple diameters so I can use with these 2?
    thanks
    Last edited by ddeaton; 05-06-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Moderator Emeritus
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=127

One in stock available for purchase now!

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

If you have a typically oversized 303 bore, you may be better off looking at CBE moulds in Australia. The NOE may well disappoint as it does not cast at .316 as it was only cut to. 3155, in fact my Lyman 314299 casts bigger boolits than the NOE 316299.

Moderator Emeritus
    If you have an undersized mould then I'd speak with Al.

Mine casts a shade over 0.316" with range scrap, with such small number discrepancies alloy type and temperature can make up the difference.

Indeed CBE make fine moulds and I have few of them however the last quote, sometime last year, I got from them for a two cavity mould shipped to the UK was in the region of £220 which is too rich for me, even for a CBE mould. The exchange rate at time of purchase can make a big difference to the price paid, caveat emptor when paying in foreign currency.

ddeaton, slugging your barrel(s) will tell you what size boolit you will need and better inform your mould choice.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

This is what Al said about the 316299, so even he could not get it to cast over .316:

"We size our moulds with standard WW material. You may try changing your mix
    but it sounds like you have done that. next would be your heat and see what that will do.
    Checked my castings with a 2 cavity 316299 mould and it measures .31574 to .31590.
    If this is to small for your application we do offer a 100% money back guarantee.
    Return the mould and we will refund your money."

I tried everything from pure (certified) lead, through 20:1, 30:1, range scrap and pure linotype, never got above .3155.

As for CBE, this is an email from Jim 2 weeks ago

"Dear Sir,
    thank you for your enquiry. Currently we are quoting shipping mid July on moulds made to order.
    Double Cavity Mould AUD$119.00
    Airmail to UK AUD$17.70
    Should you decide to order, further information is on the attached order form.
    regards,
    Jim Allison"

$136 Aus Dollars = £87, a bargain in anyones money for such top quality moulds. Its just such a pity that the website is an absolute nightmare to use, but perhaps thats intentional to prevent them getting swamped.

Fred
    Last edited by fred2892; 05-17-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Moderator Emeritus
    That is a good price now, I must try Jim again.

I see that, as expected, Al stands by his product.

My usual alloy of range scrap just casts over 0.316" run at around 720 degrees in the pot so all of his moulds don't run undersize. Even he is getting larger than you are.

Pukka Bundhooks

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    The two calibers you ask about have a rather large range of bore, groove and throat diameters...... try about 0.009" of range that I've seen. It would be quite difficult for any one or two molds to cover that.

Boolit Man
    I got the CBE tumble lube .315 bullet and its great in my 2 groove .303.