WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: I have a question about swaging copper

Boolit Buddy

I have a question about swaging copper

Hello

First off I am a complete novice when it comes to swaging. What I am trying to do is swag my primer pockets of 7.62 X 38mmR brass in order to convert it into berdan brass. I have read up on the process and watch many videos but all of the ones I have viewed are for larger brass such as 7.62 X 39 and 7.62 X 54R brass.

I already reform 32/22 brass and load it and shoot it from my nagant revolver but I would like to try and reuse military brass with boxer primers.

So my question is what thickness of copper would be best for swaging the primer pocket to decrease its diameter. Instead of a copper tubing which I do not think I can get small enough I was thinking about mashing small square sheets of soft copper with a RCBS primer pocket swager. I realize I will need to re-drill the flash hole as the copper will most likely fill the bottom of the primer pocket.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. George Washington
    It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. Ronald Reagan
    The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon. George Washington
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

First off I believe your backwards about Berdan and Boxer. If you have a post in the middle and two holes you have Berdan brass If you have one hole in the middle you have boxer.
    While this is a swaging section of the forum we are focused on making bullets not reforming brass. There is a thread on this site where a couple of people have made boxer brass out of Berdan brass. I have done it my self it does work. Probably the best was was thought of by a person on Youtube who drills out the post in the middle and then uses copper tubing on a RCBS Primer pocket swage set to reform the pocket. Another person just drills out the center post leaving part of the old primer in the pocket then swages the pocket using the old primer as a bushing That way works too. Maybe someone else will post links on here to take you to the threads I am referring to. I just don't remember where they were.

Boolit Master

Go to the following thread that Larry Gibson started on converting Berdan to Boxer primers:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ckets-to-Boxer

Mustang