WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vetterli .41

Boolit Master

Vetterli .41

After some rookie mistakes, I'm finally shooting the Vetterli .41 weekly.
    I formed the cases from .348 Winchester brass. I used a Lee .430310 bullet mold and a .44 mag expander die. I used the 10mm socket bit as a seater. After loading powder (approx. 47 gr FFG Goex) and seating the bullets, I resize the necks (removed the decapper pin from the die). I came across a used Lee .429240 mold, so I made up 15 of each size bullet to compare.
    The smaller bullet (.429240) is easier to seat and uses less lead. From what I can tell, it's just as accurate as the .430310. There might be a little less recoil form the smaller bullet, but since this rifle doesn't kick much it's hard to tell.
    After every 2 or 3 shots, I spray the barrel with the vegetable spray PAM (this will drive the traditionalists nuts), then run a dry patch through a few times. Or I'll spray the patch with PAM and run it through. I have quite a few cap and ball revolvers, some repros, mostly originals, and some of them love the PAM as a lube. Some don't. I figured I'd try it in the Vetterli. I gotta say it works great. The barrel stays clean and lubed and the range smells like burnt popcorn. I make sure I wash it all away before putting the gun up for a week.
    I don't use the magazine because I cut the cases too short for these bullets, but that's OK because I remove the bolt to clean the barrel every 2 or 3 shots. I also did not cut the cases at a uniform length, which causes problems with seating and resizing. They're all approx. 1.60" but slight variations make a difference.
    I annealed all but two cases, using the molten lead method. The two cases that I did not anneal were streaked with black after shooting, and one split when I expanded the mouth. Annealing is a good idea.
    Great gun, fun to shoot.

Glad to hear you have it up and running! These are indeed very pleasurable rifles to own and shoot once you learn the tricks to getting them to work.

BTW, I used to shoot mine with naked boolits and thought it shot very well. Then I switched to paper patched ones and it really came alive. It can be your next step if you desire.

-Nobade