Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hodgdon International in pistols. Any data out there?

Boolit Buddy

Hodgdon International in pistols. Any data out there?

I picked up an 8lb jug of International at a recent gun show for a great deal and was wondering if anyone has used it in pistols. Hodgdon doesn't post pistol data, except for a few cowboy loads, for it anymore because it is said that pressure can be "peaky". They used to have it printed right on the jug with some shot shell data but changed the label to 12 and 20 gauge data.

I would like to try this in 45 ACP pushing some 195 grain 452488's and the 9mm behind 124 grain Lee RN. I'm not looking for the perfect high speed low drag load. Just something for some plinking fun.

ADI makes the powder for Hodgdon. They sell it in as AS50N. They also list its equivalent as Green Dot. I have heard about some using Green Dot starting loads reduced a little to begin a load work-up. Has anyone here tried that? If someone has Quickloads and wouldn't mind taking the time to compare Green Dot and International for the two calibers above it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

They also claim it is a good "substitute " for IMR PB. I also will be watching this thread with interest as I have 3 , 4 lb jugs here that I would like to use in 45 acp as well!

Boolit Master
    I've used it in 45acp loads with 230 grainers for plinking loads, seems to work fine. No pressure or velocity data, but accuracy was acceptable. I'd stick with low-moderate pressure loads and lighter boolits are probably better. I wouldn't use it in the pressure range of a 9mm Luger or 40 S&W...~15k psi and below SHOULD limit peakiness when combined with a straight-walled case.

Boolit Buddy

Slingshot,

Was there another powder's data that you used for a starting point? I have a couple of different .452 molds I can mess around with. I figured that the 9mm would be a little high for the pressure.

Boolit Master
    I compared Green Dot and WSL to International...Green Dot is a tad faster, and WSL is a little slower. Those two gave me a range to pick a starting load with International.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks singleshot. I appreciate the help.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Maybe you could try ADI's Pistol loads..............http://adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/pistol.asp

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Buddy

ADI has AP50N listed for their pistol calibers but not AS50N. That was the issue I had with their data.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    AS50N has just a slight slower burn rate than the AP50N.............the loading data for the AP50N would make a good starting load ???????

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."