MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 6mm JDJ #2

Boolit Bub

6mm JDJ #2

Hello all!
    Need some help in finding some recent load data for my 6mm JDJ #2 Contender. Have been browsing the web for the last couple of days to no avail. The only data that I have for her is from Handloader #197. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    John
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Master

Is your "6MM JDJ #2" formed from .307 Win. cases? If so, what you've got is, essentially, a rimmed .243 Win. While I've never shot/reloaded the 6mm version, I did shoot a 7mm JDJ #2 for IHMSA silhouettes and found the cartridge extremely accurate. Only downsides that I recall were short brass life and difficulty finding .307 Win cases. (The only rifle ever chambered for the .307 was the long-out-of-production Win. 94 XTR 'Big Bore' and Winchester only produces short runs of the brass on a 'seasonal' basis.)

For load data, I'd recommend contacting SSK Industries ( http://sskindustries.com/ ) to see what they can provide. When I checked, I noticed that they no longer catalogue any of the old 'JDJ #2' rounds but they still might be willing to provide info.

FWIW: When I received my 7mm JDJ #2, the load data that came with it was a Xerox copy of someone's (Ol' J.D. himself, maybe?) handwritten range notes and chronograph numbers. Brass life, using the provided STARTING LOADS, was only 3 or 4 reloads and cases needed to be trimmed every other resizing. Backing the 'recommended' loads off another 10% and working back up 1/2 grain at a time improved both brass life and accuracy while dropping MV only 100-120 fps.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 05-05-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    6 JDJ is formed from 225 Win. Simple neck up and fire form.
    Going to SSK was my first stop...their data is older than what I have! Was hoping to find data a little more current for the new powders and bullets available now as compared to when I purchased this barrel in 95 or 96.
    Thanks for your input,
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Might ask on Speciality Pistols website.

If I remember right, the 6.5 JDJ is off the 225 and the 6.5 JDJ#2 is based of the 307.

I think your advice of going over Handgunhunt or specialty pistols and asking questions was a good one!

Send an email to JDJ. He has done very well responding to my questions.
    Last edited by TCTex; 05-13-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: finished fragment sentence
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the advice. Will give it a try.