Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 625 jm, mernickle ps6da : ipsc ok?

625 jm, mernickle ps6da : ipsc ok?

Just picked up one of each, and after shooting my first ipsc match last weekend I think shooting this revolver would be great fun. However, I do not know if the trigger coverage is sufficient. Does anyone now? Any hints on the smith, btw. Never owned a big bore da... looking forward to shooting it. Ordered 12 moon clips and a demooning tool, as well. I think this will be a great weapon, and can,t wait to run some 255 swc's through it.
    Thanks!
    Jason

Boolit Bub
    I bought my 625 JM soon after the revolver was first produced. (Serial # under 900) It is an awesome shooting piece. I would suggest a good action and trigger job to really smooth things up. I shoot IDPA with it and a PC M686 38 Super. Couldn't answer your question about holster coverage, but to play it safe I would go for a holster that covers most of the guard.
    Enjoy your new piece!
    John
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Buddy
    The holster covering the trigger is kind of a red herring. If its a thumb break and you use the thumb break every time you're OK even if the trigger is exposed. But there will likely be someone there who will question this. Read the rule book carefully and be ready for a discussion.

Looked at the holster and see its not a thumb break, so disregard above. But that one should be legal. You're good to go.
    Last edited by Fluxed; 05-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the holster specified is IDPA legal.

ETA: buy your moon clips from Ranch Products factory direct. $35 per hundred delivered. Best game in town.

Thanks Guys! Imashooter2, You specified IPDA: Do you know if IPSC allows it as well? I wish I had looked here earlier, I'd have saved $10! I just ordered 100 moonclips from Revolver supply for $40 and 5 shipping. I shot the smith last night, just to get a feel. First 6 were essentially a one hole group at 4 o clock in the nine ring from 30 feet. I was shooting a heavier bullet, a lee 255 rnfp doing about 800 fps. The 252 swc hit the same spot. 3 clicks to the left, two clicks up and it evaporated the x with 6. All single action: this pistol is a shooter. Double action ( a skill I have never tried) opened it up , but all would have been A hits. Having shot, and still shooting Cowboy, I am not certain double action would be any quicker, but it is faster to regain/maintain a sight picture in DA rapid shots, but the impacts are less predictble for me. My battle plan out of the box is to shoot single action at more distant targets and practice practice practice DA until I can hit consistently then move back 5 paces then practice some more. The RNFP drop in sweetly, but the shoulder on the wadcutter would catch a bit. I shot some lighter boolit hardball level loads, lee 230 tc and the were freindlier to my thumb webbing. Its interesting that monster 320 doing 1250-1300 from a single action is pleasant and does not hurt my hand, but a cupcake load that is a pleasure to shoot from a little birdshead 45 acp vaquero ( the 255 and 252) hurt the webbing of my thumb. The 230 tc did not. The recoil coming back instead of rolling really does make a diference.
    Thanks!
    Jason

Boolit Grand Master

Oops... I saw the "I" and didn't go any further... Yes, that holster would be USPSA / IPSC legal as well. It might be difficult to reholster after the stage though, and IWB is not exactly the fastest rig available.

I load the Lee 452-228-1R. You may not think SA is slower, but it is. A lot. USPSA / IPSC puts a lot of emphasis on speed with hit factor scoring. Add a tenth to your splits on 30 - 32 shot stages and you are adding a lot of time. 60 points in 20 seconds is 3.0 hit factor. 55 points in points in 17 seconds is 3.2 hit factor. You literally can miss fast enough to win...

I really like my Mernickle Holster. Excellent work, reasonable price. Mine is a FC2 for my Ruger SBH Bisley, and it works for my BH Bisley as well. IN fact I may buy another so I have one for both guns. It's hard to beat $89.95 for a holster of this qualtiy.

The FC2 has more coverage than your's does but still allows pretty fast draw.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    WRB, is that a cross draw rig?

Lefty: It will go either way. There is one slot on the side that is visable and two on the other side.

Even though the gun fits really well I'm going to add a hammer loop as it will fall out if turned directly upside down. Although I guess my girth would prevent it falling out.

I got this holster with the intent of carrying the gun while hunting with a .44 rifle.

I got the belt from Mernickle as well, and it cost as much as the holster. It is VERY stiff and resists twisting so when you pull the gun the holster stays put and doesn't foul the draw.

Someday I want to do a Defensive SA course at Gunstite with it. Like I said it fits the SBH and the BH equally well. My SBH has the barrel lopped off to 5".

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have a 44spl Flat Top that I'd like to get a crossdraw holster for....I love the Bisley grips also.

I love the mernickles, belt and holsters. I have 2 I have used for a while: one for the birdshead vaquero and one for the 4 5/8 blackhawk. I have ordered a medium rise for my 1911, but have not gotten it yet. I too, want to take a the SA course at Gunsite. I carry the birdshead and blackhawk often.
    Jason