Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Which cb/powder for rem. Pss .223 w/1 in 12 twist

Boolit Master

Question Which cb/powder for rem. Pss .223 w/1 in 12 twist

Can anyone help out with advise on which CB/GC bullet and powder I can use in an OLDER Rem. PSS with a 1 in 12 twist barrel? I would like to get this barrel to shoot instead of getting a faster twist barrel (funds are tight-I'm retired). I would like to use this out to around 300 yards if possible for varmint & target shooting. Thanks! Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master

I would like to use this out to around 300 yards if possible for varmint & target shooting.

Bob

You are fortunate you don't have a faster twist. Your 12" twist barrel will be excellent with cast bullets up through 60 gr. For shooting out to 300 yards you will want to push them as fast as possible with the best accuracy, especially for shooting Varmints. With the 12" twist, the right cast bullet, the right alloy and the right powder you can push 2100 - 2200 fps. Perhaps even a bit higher if you really do everything right. Keep in mind there is a big difference between "good" or "useable" accuracy at 50 or 100 yards and the "varmint/target" accuracy you want at 300 yards. BTW; my M700V is about due for a new barrel as I've shot it enough that the throat was gone once and it was set back 1 1/2" for extended barrel life. That life is about done and I'll rebarrel it with a 14" twist 26" barrel in .222.

I've been shooting cast in my own M700V .223 w/12" twist which I got in '71 since '72, or 40 years give or take. I've found the 2 Lyman Loverin bullets to perform the best in that rifle and numerous others in .223, especially when pushed above 2000 fps. The Lyman 225438 is still available but the better choice is the heavier 225462. The 225462 does come for sale now and then so keep an eye out for one. The FN'd bullets similar to 225415 can also shoot well but can be finicky above 2000 fps. I strongly suggest one of the Lyman Loverins vs many of the current bore rider designs available.

Powders you will want to try are H4895, Varget, RL19, AA4350, H4831SC and RL22. Use a 1/3 gr dacron filler when loading density is less than 80%. Those are listed from medium burning to slowest. Best to try them in that order untill you find what works best for you and your rifle.

Use a malleable alloy with a BHN in the 18 - 20 range. I like lino/lead at 80/20 with the bullets AC'd or COWWs + 2% tin the mixed with lead at 50/50 and WQ'd. Cast a lot of bullets and be very particular about culling out defective bullets. I examine them under a magnifier and reject all with any defect at all. Some even weight sort the bullets. Use quality brass GCs that have been seated square on the shank. Size as large as you can to "as cast" diameter. My 225462 drop as cast at .227 and I use a .228 sizer to seat/crimp the Hornady GC and lube the bullets. Lars 2500+ is an excellent lube for what you want.

Use fire formed cases that are NS'd only and "match prepped". A Lee collet die will alow sizing just enough for .002 neck tension. Use a Lyman M-die as the bullets will seat straighter than if a Lee case mouth flaring die is used. Seat the bullets so the front driving band is slightly engraved by the leade and GC does not go below the bottom of the case neck.

There is a plethora of other advise but it's better left to answer when we know specifically the loading equipment, mould, alloys, powders, etc. you have to work with. Let us know.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Larry,
    Thank you so much for the great info! This is JUST what I've been looking for! The "safe queen" now has a new lease on life! Thanks again!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Bub
    thanks Larry I was able to use your info also.