Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heavy lead in the .41 magnum.

I'm looking to go the commercial cast LBT style, what do you all think, 250 or 265 grainers?

Running them in a 657 no dash 3".

Cast it, load it, send it.

Boolit Master
    Just my opinion but I think you can over bullet any gun & I think 280 grs & heavier is just too much in the 41 magnum, especially in a model 57 S&W. Again, this is just my opinion, others might disagree. I've owned 41 mags since 1967 & taken quite a bit of game with them, feral hogs, Javelina, deer, antelope, bear & elk & always had great success & one shot kills using either the 230 gr. Keith or the 250 gr. LBT WFN. I think the 250 is the ideal bullet for bigger game & if I think I need more bullet I go to a bigger caliber. No need to stress the gun & the real heavy bullets are stressing a model 57 with heavy charges of 2400 or 296. Good luck with your new mold.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Just my opinion but I think you can over bullet any gun & I think 280 grs & heavier is just too much in the 41 magnum, especially in a model 57 S&W. Again, this is just my opinion, others might disagree. I've owned 41 mags since 1967 & taken quite a bit of game with them, feral hogs, Javelina, deer, antelope, bear & elk & always had great success & one shot kills using either the 230 gr. Keith or the 250 gr. LBT WFN. I think the 250 is the ideal bullet for bigger game & if I think I need more bullet I go to a bigger caliber. No need to stress the gun & the real heavy bullets are stressing a model 57 with heavy charges of 2400 or 296. Good luck with your new mold.

Dick
    I'd agree, the 250 solid seems perfect to me. Just wondering about that 265 grainer & it's unusual shaped nose.

Cast it, load it, send it.

Boolit Master
    41Special...I have the same gun and have gone in the opposite direction for it using the Mehic 180 grain bullet that has extra pins to cast 160-170 grain HPs and PentaPoints... It is much more enjoyable to shoot with the lighter bullets..

But if you want to go heavy take a look at the Accurate Molds 41-250F. It had a huge meplat and was designed after the 41-215V.. I have both molds and they are very accurate and make wadcutter like holes....

One warning as to Smiths and heavy bullets...run slow you will run out of sight adjustment...as in turned all the way down the POI will be several inches above POA...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Bob, I'm guessing you never run out of sight adjustment when hanging out with "Ted" & doing a little long distance work up in the valley.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee 240 SWC cast single cavity with 657 no dash 6in 1986 bought new

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    I use a Lee 240 SWC cast single cavity with 657 no dash 6in 1986 bought new
    Have you seated it out to full cylinder length and maxed the H110 or 296?
    I did that with a Blackhawk, didn't protect my trigger finger and the middle joint hurt for months!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Bob, I'm guessing you never run out of sight adjustment when hanging out with "Ted" & doing a little long distance work up in the valley.

Dick

...I do but it is the opposite problem...not enough rear sight....

I was hoping to meet up with you this year but looks like it will be another year before I can get out that way again...

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

No criticism meant here to those that do but I never found the "heavy" bullets for caliber all that useful in any of my magnum handguns (32 H&R, 357, 41 and 44 Magnums). Yes I have tried the heavier for caliber bullets in all of those cartridges over the years and have only found 270 gr cast to be beneficial in the 44 Magnum. As to the 41 Magnum I haven't found any bullets that perform any better than 210 - 220 gr. Yes I know the heavier bullets "penetrate" better but since I don't do Texas heart shots I don't need all that "penetration". Any 210 - 220 gr cast bullet at 1300 - 1400 fps will penetrate clear through on broadside and angle shots on deer, goats, pigs and even smaller yearling elk.

Like RMJ52 I am more prone to use lighter weight bullets in my 41. I have a Lee 410-175-SWC that makes a very nice plinker. It and the TL410-210-SWC are my most used bullets at low and medium velocities (800 - 1100 fps) because they are fun to shoot......most of my shooting with the 41 magnum is "fun". Fore serious cast loads I use the RCBS 41-210-SWC or the Hornady 210 XTP.

Again, no criticism to those who want to shoot the heavies, just pointing out some of us enjoy the 41 Magnum with light to standard weight bullets. It is a fine revolver cartridge.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 198070

Boolit Master
    Have to agree with you Larry...really anything over a 255 is really not necessary...but they are fun. And really in DA revolvers I prefer to stay between 165 and 220 grains... Anthing heavier are for the SAs only at this point....

Bob

Boolit Master
    By far my most used bullet has been the 230 gr. Keith from an old Saeco mold. My everyday plinking load is 8 grs of Unique for ground squirrels, rock chucks, badgers, foxes, coyotes, etc. I've shot many, many hundreds of pounds of these over the last 40+ years. This bullet has also accounted for a lot of big game up through elk but 2400 has been my powder of choice. The LBT 250 gr. slug has been a late comer in the last 10 years & is a wonderful bullet that holds up well even though it's a WFN out to 200 yds if velocity is run towards top end levels.
    I never run any handgun at maximum levels, I prefer to move up in caliber rather than stress the gun or load, just my opinion. Accuracy is always #1, anything else is second. Give me an accurate load & a gun with a trigger that breaks like frozen lettuce & I'm a happy man!

Dick

Guys; I shoot a Ruger Blachawk 41mag. My moulds are the Lee TL410-210-SWC, the Saeco 62417 #417 and the NOE 411-251-WFN. It's pretty hard to pick a favorite of these but the Noe is cut right at the max the Blackhawk cylinder will accept for length when seated to the crimp groove. A fun everyday beverage can roller is any of these bullets over 7gr TiteGroup. Pretty inexpensive load for the 41mag. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Mehic 180 grain bullet that has extra pins to cast 160-170 grain HPs and PentaPoints...

Bob
    Got any pics of those 160,170 and 180gr bullets? Been thinking of picking up one of their molds and this may be the one.

Boolit Master
    I am also of the mind that the .41 is a better .41 when it is not saddled with a heavy for caliber boolit.

For my taste, 220 gr. does just fine.

The .41 mag was envisioned as a bridge between the 44s and the 38s and to take the edge off the recoil of the .44. Originally, Elmer Kieth and Bill Jordan went after Smith & Wesson to build a .41 for police work but the "magnum craze" was on and the manufacturer instead produced another hunting cartridge of a little smaller diameter.

Most folks turn to the .41 to skirt the recoil of the .44 yet recoil is all about math. Trying to turn the .41 back into a .44 only re-ups the recoil force .... after all, it is not what is stamped on the barrel, it's what is stuffed in it that matters!

In my experience even 265 gr lead should be approached with caution in the .41 as both my Smith 57 and Dan & Wesson start getting cranky if I push them.

I think that the guns made for .41 have a little tighter tolerances in most cases and that may also contribute to a sort of glass ceiling I have witnessed in my specimens.

I appologize if I come across as jaded to this subject but it is just my opinion that while the .41 is a very fine cartridge, it may not be the very best one to push the envelope with but with it's tighter guns may well yield very fine accuracy if run as intended.

I always say if you want to do a "big" truck job, get a big truck! My .40 something arsenal consists of two .41s, two .44s and one 480 Ruger. For my taste, as I want the bullet weight to increase substantially, I reach for a bigger bore. If I want to skirt some recoil, I don't push a smaller bore but rather stick with the larger gun and adjust my loads accordingly.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

Well, this thread is 4+ years old but the sentiment I guess is the same. I have found that the 220-235gr class to be ideal for most working loads in the 41, which is my favorite revolver cartridge. I have molds from 170 to 265. As of late, the 235gr WFN has been a winner in every gun I've tried it in and used it last year to harvest a small doe. I've found no difference in terminal performance between the 41, 44, or 45 Colt.

I've also played with the 480 Ruger and have found it to be the best heavy lead slinger for me. 350-425 gr for me in a mid velocity loading does everything I need it to.

Otherwise I grab the 45/70 if needing less than 150 yard performance.

Not sure what the rest of you run into day in day out, but for my 41's a load of 8gr Universal under a RCBS 41-210-SWC boolit seems to work out just fine. If you have fun with recoil have at it, but I have a great time shooting my lighter than wrist breaking loads. Shoots fine in my Henry also.

Boolit Master
    As stated above, in most of the Smiths I just run 8.0 grains of Unique...this gives 950 fps from a 4". Have been shooting some 212-220 grain HPs and PentaPoint bullets and the HPs get 9.0 for 1100 and the PPs get 10.0 for 1180 fps...

475AR..my apologies...I didn't see your request for pics....when I get back home I'll try and find some...

Bought a new FA 97 with a 5.5" barrel a few weeks ago. Had a bunch of the Accurate Mold 41-250F bullets around and loaded them up with 9.0 grains of Unique I think...they shoot very nicely...hope to get out tomorrow to shoot some more...

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckdane View Post
    Not sure what the rest of you run into day in day out, but for my 41's a load of 8gr Universal under a RCBS 41-210-SWC boolit seems to work out just fine. If you have fun with recoil have at it, but I have a great time shooting my lighter than wrist breaking loads. Shoots fine in my Henry also.

Any 210-220 SWC with 7gr W231. Scored a deal on some factory cast and lined with Carnauba red 215gr Saeco Boolits and have been using them with excellent accuracy in all my guns and pleasant shooting. Sent tens of thousands of rounds down range of this load and is my go to for plinking and practice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Any 210-220 SWC with 7gr W231. Scored a deal on some factory cast and lined with Carnauba red 215gr Saeco Boolits and have been using them with excellent accuracy in all my guns and pleasant shooting. Sent tens of thousands of rounds down range of this load and is my go to for plinking and practice.
    Any idea how fast they are going
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Any idea how fast they are going

925-975fps (average) depending on gun. This is from several revolvers and measured with a Lab Radar with 7gr 231 and a .411” sized Saeco 215gr LSWC crimped with medium crimp in crimp groove.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 09-23-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123