Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Texan metallic cartridge press

Texan metallic cartridge press

Picked up A Texan metallic reloading press. Had a question about the post on the right side of the press, is this for De priming or something else? Also were there turret handles on these presses. If anybody has info please let me know. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 023.jpg   024.jpg   025.jpg  
    Last edited by Gearhead1; 04-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    Howdy Gearhead, The Texan model 101-T-11's were designed to primer feed as yours is pictured. Or it can be feed without the tube and use a Texan swing arm attached to the post on the right side of the press in a similar fashion as the Lyman All American as pictured below. The Texan swing arms are hard to come by. The swing arms had tubes attached as well.

Turret handles were a matter of do it yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LymanAllAmerican.jpg  
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Thanks for the great info as usual.On the Texan powder throwers are there any problems with them or do they throw consistent loads.Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have no experience with the Texan Powder Measures yet. The so called nice one I bought I got burned on. It had stripped out threads. However, just looking it over, I see no reason to believe that it would not work well if in good order.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

I bought a new Texan powder measure back around 1971. After about 15 throws with IMR-4227, the measure locked up. The extruded grains got past the top steel plate and into the soft aluminum drum and scored the top and sides deeply. Texan should have put an iron drum or at least a hardened aluminum drum. I was deeply peeved since at the time, I was only making about $2.25 an hour, and the measure cost me about 25 bucks. I'd be hesitant to use anything in it, other than ball powders, given my experience. Maybe Texan corrected the problem, I don't know. They made some good stuff but this measure wasn't one of them. I just retired my Texan C-press after 43 years and a good friend is still using his Texan powder scale which was made by Pacific.

Banned
    Which model do you have? Late Texan is a copy of the Pacific. Early Texan is based on the Rotex patent and is the one others have commented on. I would not use it with stick powders as shearing will be a big problem.
    Ken

I have the aluminum slide model. Going to see if i can machine the slide out of steel, should then be able to run any powder threw it.

I've got the same press and the post you have a picture of is to support the turret when applying pressure during sizing and decapping.

My turret has a rod with a knurled end which has a friction fit in the holes around the perimeter.