Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PP and a brand new gun

Boolit Master

I lightly smear Auto Wax on my patched castings. Just enough to make them shiney when they go through the sizer.

Boolit Bub

Just for the barrel break in will an unlubed pp boolit with 10 grains of unique work, or will it have to be full power to polish the bore properly. Will that kind of load clean out the barrel after a day of shooting also?

Quote Originally Posted by somedude101 View Post
    Just for the barrel break in will an unlubed pp boolit with 10 grains of unique work, or will it have to be full power to polish the bore properly. Will that kind of load clean out the barrel after a day of shooting also?
    I suppose it will but why bother? The advantage of PP bullets is that you can achieve standard velocities with out leading. My patched bullets are lubed with a bee's wax, neats foot oil and lanolin mix applied with the fingers. The barrel needs no further cleaning when done shooting. It seems to remove copper fouling too.

I think that would work , but my plan is to use the starting charge of H4831 for a 200 gr jacketed , this should break in my bore and may get me on track to a PP load for hunting . The polymer mags for the Ruger Scout Rifle have a snap top dust cover. These look perfect for protecting your PP loads while kicking through the bush after whitetail

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I suppose it will but why bother? The advantage of PP bullets is that you can achieve standard velocities with out leading. My patched bullets are lubed with a bee's wax, neats foot oil and lanolin mix applied with the fingers. The barrel needs no further cleaning when done shooting. It seems to remove copper fouling too.
    The reason I was asking about a small charge of unique is so that I could mabey save my expensive hard to find powder and use pp boolets to clean out copper fouling after a day at the range.

One of three things could happen; the patch could stay all the way to the target and that would be good, or the patch will shred and jettison at the muzzle, either way, the gun could shoot straight and you'd have fun shooting them OR the patch will partially come of and accuracy will suck. If that happens, you could then up the charge until it does jettison properly. The trouble is, you might find a load that jettisons then after a number of shots as the bore polishes the patches start to come out whole again.

You could set out to create a patch that stays on. This one was incidental and didn't travel far but the patch was whole on the boolit. It wasn't a low pressure load so bore contact pressure would have been reasonable. Just try some and see. The powder charge was 22gr H4227.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIVITING DEEP SEATED 18.2 2205 208 WG SMALL1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	73002
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Bub

This is all very exciting to me, I'm pretty new to paper patching and still trying to get the hang of everything. I think that I might have my buddy try this on his marlin 308 copper fouling is atrocious and accuracy to boot, mabey this can help him make a decent shooter out of it.

Man sometimes it just fall into place ,I went and shot some break in rounds out of the Ruger GSR , just threw together some loads just to get the polishing effect of the dry PP on the new bore , the load was some IVI Canadian military cases , fed 210 primer. 40 gr of H 4831 and a lee 309-200-r cast of unknown alloy that tests 8bhn , sized to .3035 in my home lathed lee style sizer . Patched to 312 with 9 lbs tracing paper then sized down to .309 in a lee .308 sizer , I had to seat these well below the neck to get them to chamber , I really didn't expect anything from these rounds other than polishing the new bore . I almost just let them go into the berm but figured what the heck we will see what happens . I took a couple pot shots and hit everything I pointed at... Interesting . So I fired 8 at a target at 50 yards they went into about 1 3/4 at 50 with the stock iron sights with one flyer ( most likely shooter error ) . I am no PP guru still learning lots so this is a major success for me . Some days it is better to be lucky than smart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12