WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: My Vetterli barks

Boolit Buddy

My Vetterli barks

I finally got to cast some Lee 410-300-FN's for my Swiss Vetterli and took her to the range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vetterli 1st.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	68830

The high left was an initial sighter. The high right was me. If I had done MY job this would have been all touching. This rifle makes me happy.

My CF conversion is an RCBS decapping pin through a piece of thick tie wrap. Cases are PPU 8mm Lebel formed as others here have done. I'm using the Lee dies. This target is with 22.7 gn SR4759 and an OAL of 2.15" (The cases are 38mm)

This "Winter" project has been a bit of a challenge between time, weather, and various little hurdles. I also had lots of problems with the Lee Bullet seating die, and even the expander leaving the mouths too wide. Then on the initial range trip was cut short - I had difficulty extracting - I was wondering if maybe I had overloaded at 21.7gn of 5744, but then noticed scratches on the brass - the chamber had a nasty burr, which shortened that effort.

The Lee 300 gn doesnt really want to fit at 2.2 inches in my rifle - closing the bolt isn't possible unless I seat it at about 2.1-2.15" OAL (it's sloppy because my early cases are not identical in length.) The metplat on the 300 gn flat nose shows engraving; I think it's going to take a different "rounder" boolit to get 2.2" and the action to cycle. I was thinking of the 240gr TC or RN that Lee has, and cutting the cases longer.

Obviously, I need to do something with these sights - I held this 6.5" under at 25 yards; a couple of random shots at 50yards hit the top of the 11.5" target when POA was the bottom.

Boolit Bub
    Looks good. I recently started with this cartridge using 348 brass. Going to try lebel next. Should fit my tight chamber better with out as much work.
    Can't remember what load I used but it was light. Shots grouped tightly near aiming point at 50 yards.

That is dang fine. There are lots of threads on making raised front sights for these. I got one from chicken thief which was a very fine piece of craftsmanship.

Boolit Grand Master
    Promising. Glad to hear you can get an old rifle up and running. Now for some deer hunting?

In the FWIW department: the meplat is the flat point on the end of the bullet. It can't show engraving. Your full caliber or bore riding bearing surface can.

Banned
    I have to turn the base a few thou on .348 brass to fit my chamber. 8x50 Lebel is a whole lot easier!

Boolit Buddy
    The only difficulty deer hunting with this rifle is the length!

I contacted Chicken Thief on the sights - thanks for the heads up!

What I mean is the metplat is so wide part of the ogive touches. I guess that's more of a function of the tangential ogive of the C430-300-FN than the metplat - whose dimension is really a function of the length/weight of the design?

I think the Secant 429-240-2R and TC TL430-240-SWC would not run into that? The challenge there would still be OAL as they appear a few mm less than the 300 gr. Longer cases I guess - keeping an eye on the taper of the chamber. Has anyone got the 240 to 2.2" and feed in their Vet?

Right now I can't even find the 240gr Mold to try it.

Boolit Buddy

bkbville, wondering if you ever settled on a different bullet/mold? I just ordered a Vet, and dies, have lots of 348 and Lebel brass to play with, just not sure which bullet would be best route.

You need to measure your bore for best bullet fit. While most can use the Lee 300gr bullet, mine is tight. I use a .419" dia bullet. I use Lebel brass, black powder and a homemade concoction of Emmert's lube. It will keep them on a paper plate @ 100 yards. That isn't match accuracy, but still accurate enough to keep it fun. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks mtnman31. The rifle was shipped this morning so it will be a few days before it gets here. I have Lebel and 348 brass, I have a bunch of 348 that I cut down and used for 50-70. It is already cut to 1.7", I annealed a handful and as soon as the dies and rifle get her I will form them. If worse comes to worse I can sacrifice some of my Lebel brass. I shoot a lot of BP and have all the lube, and powder already so I should be good to go.

Boolit Master
    On mine i took the spare firing pin ground off the rim fire ears and drill a hole thru the middle and used the rcbs decaping pin. I also use the Lee 310 mold but size mine to 429. 348 brass is a good fit in my rifle. A ton of fun to shoot and very accurate.