WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: NOE RG 230 gr RF--Blammer's GB back in Nov, Dec?? CRS (Sorry its long!)

Boolit Master

NOE RG 230 gr RF--Blammer's GB back in Nov, Dec?? CRS (Sorry its long!)

Got this mold back in Dec or Jan, cast up some in March and April. With my alloy, 12 bhn, average of 10 is 232.3 grains. Finally loaded some up and went to the range. I was using my Colt Combat Commander. 4.0 Clays and 4.0 Bullseye. Clays performed better, average string of 10 was 737, but had some issues. Bulleyes performed well enough, I got plenty and could use it as well. Talked to my buddy and he said maybe pressure. Suggested I drop down to 3.9. Went back to the range and shot 2 strings of 10. Average of 785. Also, took 2 pieces of ½ plyboard—not OSB or plywood, but laminated thin boards. Shot 3 at single piece at 5 yards, punched clean holes. Stood second piece in front of that and fired 3 shots. Thru front piece, clean holes, but going thru 2nd you could see it opening up, tearing away 3 inch pieces of the final laminate. Was unsure of the average going up and, again, talked to my buddy. He said it probably was pressure, causing premature unlocking leading to power loss. Over the weekend loaded some at 3.8 and back to range Monday. Average of 2 10 strings was 798 & 793. Cool. Took 4 gallon milk jugs filled with water and lined them up on a table. Shot. Then, Stoopid showed up. (one of my alter egos) Looked at jugs. First 3 breached, last one no. Jugs look like I pulled off the right, strange, as I usually pull or push to the left. Lets go find the boolit! Search for ¾ of an hour, no boolit. Oh, well, lets load up and go home. Put everything in the truck, throw away 3 jugs, pick the last one—remember it appeared fine? What’s rolling around down there? The boolit!! GROAN Mama said I wasn’t the sharpest blade in the drawer. I assumed the last one wasn’t breached, didn’t check. I shot straight, the kinetic force moved the 1st 3 jugs to make it look like I pulled right. I’m stoopid, ain’t no cure my daddy always said!!! Boolit opened up from .325 to .499. After firing, weight 228.88. 98.5% retention. Purty. Went clean thu 3 milk jugs of water, with lids screwed on and breached the 4th. Goes thru and inch of plyboard with no problem. 5 yards past the plyboard, dug way deep into ground. Threw big chunks of sod 5-6 yards. A really beautiful boolit, good power and penetration. 3.8 Clays is what I will use.

Attachment 68808Attachment 68809
    Last edited by gbrown; 04-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

NICE!

Yea I've done the "lost the boolit in the jug" trick before.