Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I need some Bible 101

I need some Bible 101

I haven't spent much time reading the Bible but have been raised a Lutheran. I'm not offering any excuses for having a dusty Bible but I'm learning that "dusty Bibles can lead to dirty lives" as a pastor in a new church I have been going to says. I've read Genisis and enjoyed the story of Joseph. And today I learned that Acts brings together the New Testament and the Old Testament and lays out or marks the start of the Church.

The trouble I have had in the past is that I start reading at page one and not get the picture or lose interest.

Are there some books of the Bible I should get to know first that would help keep the big picture in mind? Is one version or style of The Word better than another. I up to chapter 6 in Acts and am having a great time.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Banned

Paul was sent specifically to us gentiles so you will get the most benefit from reading Paul's letters to the churches. He is writing to you as a member of the Body of Christ. I would recommend spending most of your time reading Paul's letters. I like the Amplified translation.
    BTW - I take what the Word say literally. To each his own, but there is no Salvation without Christ's resurrection. So if I believe that "impossibility" - it is no problem for me to believe the whole Bible is true and factual.
    Last edited by jmort; 04-29-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Boolit Master

I use the NIV but the New Living Translation is very easy reading, stay away from King James, English Standard and the like, they are very hard to read and understand. I agree with jmortimer, read the New Testament first as we are the New Testament Church. Understand that parts of the Bible are written literally, poetically, symbolically, wisdom writings and more. The Bible was written for us, not to us. When you look for a new bible find a good study bible which when used will give you proper context for each of the 66 books. The best advice I can give you is join a small group or bible study to help you learn much more, much faster.

Blessings Brother

Boolit Bub
    This might sound ridiculous, but hear me out -
    When I was a little boy, I was given a book "Bible Stories about Jesus"...stories for children about the life of Jesus and the parables he taught. Simply told so a kid could understand, then one picture and the related scripture was referenced.
    That book was the basis for all of my later learning, study, and understanding of scripture. It remains one of my most prized possessions today. I still look at it.

Perhaps it might not be a bad thing to augment your study with a good children's bible story book...read the book, then read the Book, so to speak.

Boolit Master

I would suggest a set of the Christ Lite Sunday School lesson books from Northwestern Publishing House. There are lots of them and the way we use them takes you right through the Bible in an orderly fashion. There are bible references on the lessons and all the major Stories are covered and you are not bogged down with the really difficult obscure passages or long lists of Jewish laws. You also don't get into Psalms and proverbs and will have to go back to cover those after you get a good understanding of the narrative contained in the Bible. I tell my kids that the Bible is really only one story, with The Creation at the beginning and themselves at the end. You will be either a goat or a lamb.

I teach grades 5&6 and find that to be easy to understand but not too childish.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Man
    My pastor introduced me to an iPhone app called "YouVersion." It's a Bible app that includes reading plans such as "read through the Bible in a year" or any topic you could think of. Many of the plans include study guides. It has helped me, for the first time in my life, to consistently daily read the Bible.

I also have that app and it is a great way to find what you are looking for in all areas in your life. Plus I like it cause I will generally read the NIV version but allows me to read the same verse from the King James Version (that's just me.) As to where to start IMHO I would with John. Not to disagree with jmortimer because I believe that Paul is another great gospel to study however John really helps you understand Jesus as our savior and I believe that anyone looking to start reading should start there. Again that is just my opinion.

Boolit Master
    My grandad was a minister and he had the same problem with the 6th commandment I do, Mess with my family and I will break it with ease. while Im guilty of a dusty bible myself, I have always enjoyed reading Luke and Leviticus, one does not have to read fare to see how the world has gone to the dogs.

I am on to thinking that this is the best question I've asked so far on CB!
    Last edited by pmer; 04-29-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Boolit Master

, come
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:30 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are reading and enjoying Acts then read the first half. That is the book of Luke. Then, I agree, read the Gospel of John. Between the two you will get the full story of Christ.

You can't really understand Paul by just reading him, although there are some beautiful passages in his writing. His was a first class legal mind. The book of Romans is structured as a series of arguments that must be studied to be understood. Knowing background and context is essential to understanding Scripture. This requires study to do it right.

Read for the stories, study to understand. I happen to love Judges, but then I love history, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

A fellow traveler here when I blew the dust off my bible and started reading it a new world was opened to me love justice mercy forgiveness. It's all there you just have to ask.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm a dinosaur as I read, love and enjoy reading the King James version. I've done so all my life. If I remember correctly it is written on what is now a fifth grade reading level where many of the other translations are at a higher reading level. The New American Standard version is also pretty good and I have others that I read from time to time, but I always go back to my KJV.

The four Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are good places to start to learn about the life of our Savior, Jesus. John is my personal favorite.

Boolit Master

My apologies to those of you who read the KJV or ESV, I did not mean to make it sound too difficult or wrong to read. My experience was that the Elizabethin English was not common knowledge to me as an adult and discouraged me when trying to learn the discipline of Bible reading and the churches I attended did not teach from it.

My favorite reading is in the Old Testament, I love the stories! I especially see the parallels in my own life with the children of Israel.

When I got home from work today we had our first pmer family Bible round up! I commanded that we go fourth into the house and find our bibles and bring them to our central gathering place (kitchen) and take account. To our surprise (to my surprise it worked) we accounted for thirteen dusty bibles, including minature new testaments with Psalms, a living bible, Luther's small Catechism, 2 story book style, NKJV, revised standard, New revised standard, New Int'l version and a Incredible bible facts book.

What followed though was a fun night of exploring and rediscovering what we allready had at our fingertips. Reading the bible stories in our kid's books and adding to the stories from the bibles. Somehow the little voice had gotten loud enough for me to hear and I'm glad it's there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    When I got home from work today we had our first pmer family Bible round up! I commanded that we go fourth into the house and find our bibles and bring them to our central gathering place (kitchen) and take account. To our surprise (to my surprise it worked) we accounted for thirteen dusty bibles, including minature new testaments with Psalms, a living bible, Luther's small Catechism, 2 story book style, NKJV, revised standard, New revised standard, New Int'l version and a Incredible bible facts book.

What followed though was a fun night of exploring and rediscovering what we allready had at our fingertips. Reading the bible stories in our kid's books and adding to the stories from the bibles. Somehow the little voice had gotten loud enough for me to hear and I'm glad it's there.
    That is awesome pimer! I'm sure the Lord was grinning from ear to ear and said to Jesus, look what our kids are doing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    My apologies to those of you who read the KJV or ESV, I did not mean to make it sound too difficult or wrong to read. My experience was that the Elizabethin English was not common knowledge to me as an adult and discouraged me when trying to learn the discipline of Bible reading and the churches I attended did not teach from it.

My favorite reading is in the Old Testament, I love the stories! I especially see the parallels in my own life with the children of Israel.
    No apology needed. Read that which is easiest for you to understand. I just grew up with the KJV and still use that. The Word of God that is read is much better than the one that sits collecting dust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I haven't spent much time reading the Bible but have been raised a Lutheran. I'm not offering any excuses for having a dusty Bible but I'm learning that "dusty Bibles can lead to dirty lives" as a pastor in a new church I have been going to says. I've read Genisis and enjoyed the story of Joseph. And today I learned that Acts brings together the New Testament and the Old Testament and lays out or marks the start of the Church.

The trouble I have had in the past is that I start reading at page one and not get the picture or lose interest.

Are there some books of the Bible I should get to know first that would help keep the big picture in mind? Is one version or style of The Word better than another. I up to chapter 6 in Acts and am having a great time.

pmer,

I perceive that the Spirit (Holy Spirit) has not yet come into you. If that's the case, then trying to understand what the Church is and how it fits into the course of history won't do you much good until you have a personal encounter with the living Christ. That personal encounter is something that God initiates (never us) and will lead you to a proper biblical response to the gospel.

The reason I don't feel you've had a personal encounter with Christ is that, although you had some level of "religion", it seems that it was only enough to give you a feel for what you should do rather than empower you. The fact is that no religion can empower anyone. Only God living in you will mean anything. Everything else is vain.

Having said that, I strongly recommend that you start in the book of John, as it will bring you face to face with who Jesus is and what He demands of His disciples/children.

I am glad that you have a renewed interest in spiritual things, and I will be praying for you. There is a battle for your soul!

Thanks for sharing what's happening in your life.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a voracious reader. I can understand some of Chaucher but only if it is read aloud. I understand a lot of Shakespeare's writing if not the implications of the 17th centurys culture. My belief is that the KJV is what holds our language together and you would do well to keep some of that version dusted off. When you reat the OT study stories and how they apply to you today.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    "Many are called, few are chosen". Basically true what Outdoorfan states, but only a Member of the Trinity can decide Pmer's position! ... felix
    felix

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast