RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wrinkles :(

Vendor Sponsor

congrads TrapperXX.. thats some good looking bullets

Newbee question ...so how do you store your used steel molds so they do not rust

Boolit Master

Casting at 750F is a bit on the high side. I normally cast all my boolits at 650F, sometimes going up to 675F if need be. By going much over 700F you're loosing the advantages tin brings to the alloy, that being pourability, and mould fillout. The thing is, when casting at the lower temps, you need to cast fast, not stop to look at the boolits you just cast, go as fast as you SAFELY can, then look at the boolits later. The best casting temp is actually about 100F higher than the point where the lead melts fully. For my alloy (similar to Lyman #2) 650 - 675 works well. Control the mould temp by speed of casting, not temp of lead in the pot. Keep on going, you'll get it worked out, you seem to be doing good so far.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Casting at 750F is a bit on the high side. I normally cast all my boolits at 650F, sometimes going up to 675F if need be. By going much over 700F you're loosing the advantages tin brings to the alloy, that being pourability, and mould fillout. The thing is, when casting at the lower temps, you need to cast fast, not stop to look at the boolits you just cast, go as fast as you SAFELY can, then look at the boolits later. The best casting temp is actually about 100F higher than the point where the lead melts fully. For my alloy (similar to Lyman #2) 650 - 675 works well. Control the mould temp by speed of casting, not temp of lead in the pot. Keep on going, you'll get it worked out, you seem to be doing good so far.
    Thanks, I am going to watch the temp close. Things really came together this last session but I know I have a lot to learn. I couldn't imagine doing it without this board. This place really shortens the learning curve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12