Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Fatty (don't really care for the name but it is what it is)...

Smoked Fatty (don't really care for the name but it is what it is)...

A fatty is what I call the meat loafs better looking sister. Here is a rundown on how to make one...

First is thing I do is grab my supplies:

- One pound of ground meat of choice (usually sausage or burger)
    - One gallon zip lock bag
    - Parchment paper
    - Cling wrap
    - One pound of bacon (I prefer thick cut and heavily peppered)
    - Fixings for the middle which always includes a cheese of some type
    - Rolling pin
    - Smoker (you can use a grill or the oven if needed)
    - Roasting dish with wire rack
    - Meat thermometer

Pre-heat whatever cooking device that floats your taste buds boat. While that is warming up or settling on temp I prepare the "roll". First thing is to place the meat in a one gallon freezer bag. Roll out ground meat in the bag to make a square.

Once rolled out I cut half the bag off and place the ground, now flat and square burger on parchment paper. Set it aside.

Now it is time to make a bacon weave. You can look up how to do this but it is hard to type out. If anyone is interested let me know and I can walk through it. Here is what it looks like when complete. Place it on parchment paper also.

Now place your innards of your choosing. For this one I used swiss cheese and mushrooms.

Roll up the meat roll using the parchment paper to help. Should look like this:

More to come in a sec...
    Μολὼν λάβε

Now take the meat roll and put it on some cling wrap. Make sure the piece is big enough to cover your whole "fatty". Roll it towards you many times (same direction) and it should make a meat tube something like this:

Now place formed meat roll onto the bacon weave. Roll the tube in the weave. Place that onto the bacon weave. Roll this on the Cling Wrap just like before and it makes a nice tube:

Smoke or cook for 3 hours at 225ish and enjoy!

Here is one made with sausage, colby jack cheese, fried potatoes/onions, and american singles. It is my breakfast fatty.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-04-03_11-11-41_451_zpsd46fbf72.jpg  
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master

Man, that looks awesome. I gotta try that. I already know what I want in the mix--veggies and cheese--the types of stuff. I can like taste it now. My dad made a rolled roast from a brisket that was unbelievable in the smoker. This looks like its in the same class. Thanks for sharing.

Question: Do you use any binder in the ground meat? Like eggs and bread crumbs to hold it together, or does the bacon do a good job? Just curious.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

No binder besides the high fat content.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Wow that looks good!!!!!

Boolit Master

Been thinking about this since you posted. Yesterday I made one per your instructions. As a novice "fatty" maker, took me a while. I also think I put too many ingredients inside. Mushrooms, cheese, bell pepper and onions. Had issues with closing the ends, causing a loss of melted cheese. Maybe after some more practice skills will be honed. BTW, it disappeared pretty quickly. I used 80/20 chuck. Next time, I think I will use my ground venison and just see how it works, even though it is low in fat.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Yeah it looks bigger than it really is. You definitely have to use less "filler" than you would think.

How did your bacon weave turn out?
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master

It turned out good. Really not a challenge. Lay one piece across, left to right. Lay x# over-under it (up & down) and then start laying rows left to right, lifting one (by the bottom end) of the up & down if it called for. Really pretty simple. Rolling the meat and trying to close the ends was a challenge, gotta work on that.
    Last edited by gbrown; 05-01-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I've made a couple Fatty's and wound up using Toothpicks to hold the Bacon together on the ends. Darn things are habit forming

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Man! that looks delicous!!! I am licking my monitor just looking at it!

I think my cholesteral just went off the chart. And that's just from looking. My cardiologist would never approve. Could I maybe have just a small piece? Please?
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Made another but with pastrami, deli mustard, swiss and kraut tonight. Mmm....rueben fatty!
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Man
    That looks delicious! What kind of wood do you smoke that with?

Moderator Emeritus

Original was made with jimmy dean roll sausage. They are way to fattening to make more than once or twice a year

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Original was made with jimmy dean roll sausage. They are way to fattening to make more than once or twice a year
    And I haven't made one this year........whar's the Charcoal

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    Man! that looks delicous!!! I am licking my monitor just looking at it!
    Now I gotta clean the keyboard!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I use apple for about everything unless I want a heavy smoke.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Grand Master

It's a shame it got stuck with such a name, could turn some people off. But once they taste it... who cares what it's called .
    Like hog's head cheese, that don't sound to appietizing either, but's the proofs in the pudding.
    Went into the local market and spotted a new product....CHICKEN GLACE' (gla-say). Manager says it's hogs head cheese made with chicken. Said " chicken head cheese just didn't sound right." Yeah ...I had this mental image of all these chicken heads cooking in a big old pot...glace' sounded a lot better. And it was quite good .
    Gary

Moderator Emeritus
    I'm confused... I dont see where you remove the cling wrap. I wouldnt think it is cooked with cling wrap, but thats what the directions say!

Looks great, by the way.

I've made this a few times myself but I don't call it a smoked fatty. I call it a Bacon Explosion

Either way, it's delicious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast