Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: need some info Ruger New Vaquero bullet length

Boolit Bub

need some info Ruger New Vaquero bullet length

I am going back into the 45colt and buying a Birdshead 3 3/4 New Vaquero
    Can you guys tell me if I can put 300 grain SWC in that cylinder and if not ,how heavy?
    Also would like opinions on how WARM I can load it. Notice I did not say HOT, I know it's a smaller cylinder
    Can I get a 285 or 300 grain buller going to 900 fps in that gun and barrel length ?
    Would like some loads from you guys also.

Banned

I heard max was around 280 - obviously the nose to crimp is the key measurement.
    This is interesting and discusses this issue among many other things about the New Vaqueros
    http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...34_preview.pdf

"The New Vaquero was tried with
    a variety of handloads that included both jacketed and cast bullets, ranging in weight from 225 to
    285 grains. Overall accuracy was
    good, which is probably due to the
    correct throat tolerances, good
    chamber alignment and a quality
    barrel. Bullets should be chosen
    that keep the overall cartridge
    length to 1.66 inches or less, or
    bullets may protrude out the cylinder, tying up the gun. Generally
    this is not a problem but should be
    noted, as some commercial cast
    bullets feature a nose length exceeding .375 inch and are intended
    for Ruger Blackhawks and “old”
    Vaqueros."
    Last edited by jmort; 04-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

The New Vaquero is safe with 45 ACP +P pressures, which are 23,000psi. That's a little warmer than the 14,000psi SAAMI spec for the .45 Colt. It's possible to get a 300grainer into the 1100+ f/s range by carefully picking and choosing powder and bullet, not sure that can be done with the short barrel but more likely a 280gr might be the sweet spot for one of those and still stay within it's safe pressure ceiling.

Also, there is a fairly large gap between the standard .45 Colt loads safe for an old Colt, and the too hot for the New Vaquero loads that are labeled "Ruger or T/C Only."

What is needed is load data for a midrange .45 Colt. One of the biggest reasons for this lack of data in those pressures and velocities, is that the .45 Colt case itself is rather large and many powders do not like being loaded down, some of them are quite position sensitive and can lead to wide spreads in velocity and unexpected pressure spikes if not loaded to the minimum amount specified by the powder mfgr. H110 can be very dangerous loaded below the starting amount. In the Ruger Only loads, slow burning shotshell powder seems to provide excellent results. For midrange velocities and pressures below 23,000psi, gonna have to do quite a bit of research to find good load data.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-25-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Go to the Hodgdon reloading data website and search under 45 colt loads for the Ruger or +p. They have loads listed for a a jacketed 300 gr. and cast lead 325 gr. under the 23,000 PSI that your revolver should be able to handle. These are starting loads, be sure to stay away from the max loads as your gun is built on a mid size frame and will not handle the max Ruger Only loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Regarding the " generous " case capacity of the 45 Long Colt, that characteristic of the 45 Long Colt case along with the fact that I have about 3K, 45 ACP cases led me to decide on the 45 ACP chambering for my own Ruger Birdshead vs. the Long Colt chambering.

Ruger Birdshead , 45 ACP, with IDEAL 454424 HP'd by Erik.

While I'm not in the 45 ACP + P arena with my current load below, it seems adequate for my application ( Bad Guys Beware ! ) :

Last edited by Ben; 04-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.