Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Stuck screw 1861 Navy

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Stuck screw 1861 Navy

Stuck screw 1861 Navy

Navy was made in the 1970s

The Main spring screw is stuck tight

Placed frame in vise used a proper fitting screw driver and a 6 inch Crescent wrench.
    I put a lot of torque on it and it didn’t move

It is steel into brass for 35 to 40 years, someone said it could be fussed. And I could break it off

I did find a way to take it apart and back together without taking the screw out. So I wouldn’t have to do anything unless main spring breaks.
    See Photos

Any Ideas

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-04-22 08.22.05.jpg   2013-04-22 08.23.01.jpg  
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Put it in the oven at 300 or so degrees for a half hour and let it cool. The different coefficients of expansion between the steel and brass should loosen/part the locked threads. Keep the temp low so as to not get close to annealing temps.
    Bulldogger

Boolit Master
    I had one just like that two weeks ago and dribbled a bit of Kroil onto the screw and let it set a couple of hours. Then I put the proper sized gunsmith driver bit into the slot and tapped it lightly with a small hammer. It then loosened up with steady pressure on it. GF

Perma-Banned

Just give it a quick shot with a heat gun and it should pull out.

Boolit Buddy
    Not much to add - but I use PB Blaster - spray it and let it sit a bit.

Boolit Mold
    Soak over night with solvent, heat brass slightly opposite from spring, put close fitting screw driver bit in drill press chuck, put down pressure with press on screw head and turn chuck by hand. This has worked for me many times.

Spray the screw with Kroil. Let it sit over night. Clamp the brass part of the frame in the vise and as you turn the screw clockwise tap on the screwdriver with a hammer as you torque to loosen the mainspring screw (taptaptaptaptaptapt as you turn). This has worked for me mulitple times.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Update

Trigger guard soaked in Kroil for 5 days. I also notice the bottom grip screw intersects main spring screw. So the Kroil should have work very good.

Placed grip in aluminum jaws with 3x5 cards to protect the brass grip

Headed the grip till the paper turned brown (I don’t want to take the temper out of the main spring.) with a heat gun.

Placed a 4 inch wrench on the screw driver. Used the wrench for leverage and tapped on the screw driver with a small hammer

She won’t budge. She won’t budge. She won’t budge.

So this is how I am going to take this apart

Loosen the 3 screws holding down on the trigger guard. Take pressure off main spring and remove the 3 screws

To put it back together

Start small screw it till it’s tight and back it off. Place Main spring under hammer
    Compress and hold trigger guard and screw in 2nd screw then 3rd screw

When the main spring goes bad I will drill it out and retap it.

Thanks for help
    Last edited by DCP; 04-27-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

In Remembrance
    Does Sears still sell a manual impact screwdriver? I bought mine in '74 and have only had to buy replacement bits from time to time.

You use a bit that matches the screw, adjust the body of the tool to loosen or tighten, then smack it with a heavy hammer.
    You can use a setting that turns the screw just a tiny bit, then repeat that a few times to work it loose enough for normal removal.

On the other hand, I KNOW there are cordless impact drivers. You should be able to find one at a tool rental store if you don't want to buy your own.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Heat a dog meat can of Auto Engine Oil as hot as you can get it, immerse the stuck screw and frame overnight the screw should come out fairly easy.Caution Engine oil ignites easy when near boiling point, have a piece of metal or a Brick to smother any flame ready.Good luck.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Heat a dog meat can of Auto Engine Oil as hot as you can get it,
    Uhh ... 'dog meat can'.

Is that one of those 'Impirical' units of measure?
    Can it be usefully converted to liters, or pints, or (perhaps) fractions of a flagon?

Is it possible that it would have very close to the same volume as a pinto bean can?

I'm okay with 'as hot as you can get it' for the exact temperature required, but a little unsure about the quantity of oil ...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

What I would give a try doing, is let it heat up as Bulldogger said,.. 300 degrees in an oven.... for a few hours.... Get a can of the canned air used for blowing out computers...
    I would then take it out of the oven, place it in a vise with wood strips, as the wood doesn't pull the heat out as much as any type of metal would. Preferably so that the screw is in a horizontal position.. Then, invert the canned air, and spray the screwhead.... when frost builds up on it, try giving it a turn... you want the brass to be hot, and you want to freeze the screw as much as possible...
    The brass being hot and the steel betting cold should make it easier to break the screw loose...
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same