RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going into the body and fender shop for a while

Boolit Master

Going into the body and fender shop for a while

I usually don't post a lot of personal stuff online, but I wanted to be sure that when I go into the body and fender shop next month and drop off the site for a while that there will be no speculation about the whys and wherefores of the situation.

I've been having increasing problems with numbness in my hands and legs, and loss of strength in my upper body, especially my right arm. It's gotten severe enough that I've had to learn how to eat with my left hand (I'm normally right handed). As you can imagine it hasn't helped much with doing shop work that requires dexterity and upper body strength. It is interfering with my job and my side business, which is doing CNC subcontract work and making the stuff I sell here.

Had an MRI last month and have since made two trips to Louisville KY (about 300 mile round trip) to a clinic there. Turns out I have spinal stenosis in all my cervical (neck) vertebra. The hole inside the spinal blocks is less than half the diameter it should be, and it is compressing my spinal cord. The only solution is surgery. The procedure involves making a cut lengthwise down one side of each vertebra almost all the way through, and then do the same thing to the other side but the cut goes all the way through. The first cut acts as a hinge and the vertebra is opened up and a spacer is put into the other side to keep it open until it heals. They don't plan to fuse any vertebra together, but I will have to wear a doughnut collar to help stabilize my fat head during recovery.

The Drs think that barring any complications, the surgery itself will take a couple hours, I will have to spend 3 or 4 days in the hospital, then I can go home and start getting therapy after a couple of weeks. A six week followup visit back to Louisville and if all is well I would be released and could gradually get back to work and my business.

Not really looking forward to the pain of the first few days after surgery, but I'll be getting IV painkillers and I've gotten over the pain part of other surgeries in a few days, so I hope that part can be tolerated. Drs say the pain will mainly be from cutting through heavy neck muscles, not from spinal cord nerves. I can get through that with a little help.

The upshot is that I must throttle back on my business right now and shut it down for several months beginning sometime late May. I have another week in the Spring semester to finish and then school is out. I hope to wrap up any outstanding orders then. If you've ordered something from me be a little patient, I'll get it to you but I am working very slow right now and the time I have is limited for another week.

I will post notice when I get a firm date for my surgery, and will try to shut things down in an orderly fashion.

If/when I'm off the site for a while, it won't be because I'm hacked off at anybody or got my feelings bent or anything. I'm finding out for real that when you are a one-owner business, the business is closed when you can't work, and I hope all of you understand that.

Banned

Will be praying for you. Get the best neurosurgeon you can find. Had a client with the exact same condition and a fool for a surgeon. Enough said. Will be praying for your surgeon to have divine guidance and for a miraculous recovery.

Good Luck!!!

Boolit Master
    Best wishes from our house for a complete and speedy recovery.
    R.D.M.

Love Life
    Good luck, and heal up soon. It is amazing what modern surgery can accomplish!!

Boolit Master
    All the best. Surgery of this caliber is a definite risk.

Scott

Boolit Master
    I am also a sole proprietor of a samll business. Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Personally, I do not care for the IV pain killers but they can be a good thing. Prayers and good thoughts for you. Let us know when all is better.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

theperfessor,
    Good luck and hope all goes well.
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master

Keith, I too will be praying for a 100% successful surgery, and a quick recovery. Just take it easy for a while so there's no complications from hitting the road too soon.

The nose first system is working great! Did some .223, some .284, and have some .243 yet to do.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramar View Post
    theperfessor,
    Good luck and hope all goes well.
    Ramar
    Ditto for me.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    May your surgery go according to plan, and your recovery be speedy. All the best, to you, Keith.

Boolit Master

Keith, we'll be here praying for you, and waiting for your return.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Prayers for a speedy recovery!
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    praying for a complete and speedy recovery.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

Had the same problem a few years back, it was discovered by accident while repairing a crushed disc. Lucky I had one of the best neurosurgeons in our area. It did turn a two hour operation into a five hour operation but it was one of the best things I ever did.
    In addition to the paralysis I had sometimes blinding headaches, so bad I couldn't even think ( do still sometimes suffer from that but it has nothing to do with any surgery !!! ).
    Still have to be careful of what and how I lift but all traces of paralysis are gone and haven't even had a trace of those headaches .
    Just do what they say for recovery and you will be back at the bench in no time.
    Facta non verba

In Remembrance

Thoughts are with you.Robert

Boolit Master

Keith,

You'll be missed but hopefully won't be gone very long. Will someone be able to post progress reports for you? Prayers sent your way.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Best of luck. My wife and I were sole proprietors for many years so I feel your pain. Be sure to follow doctors instructions to insure a speedy recovery!!
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    I have a friend and hunting buddy who had a similar problem...affecting the nerves to his left arm (left handed) I am not sure of the intricacies of his surgery but he was playing golf after a few months and is better than before now (some two years hence). Good luck, do what the Dr.'s tell you. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing.

Boolit Master

Good luck, have a speedy recovery,prayers for you.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast