MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21st Century Cast Bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet. Side line business? This is how millionaires are made!

Boolit Master
    All the pictures are gone from the bullet tip thread. I would have liked to seen how they are formed and mated to the bullet.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    All the pictures are gone from the bullet tip thread. I would have liked to seen how they are formed and mated to the bullet.
    I took the images down to make room for photos of other projects. I don't know if things have changed since I did that Synthetic-Tips project but, back in the day you were only alloted so much space to post your images. You had to take some down in order to make room for other images. Or you could go with an outside image hosting site.

Installing these Synthetic-Bullet-Tips is simplicity itself. You just need a small chunk of metal, (I use lead since I already have it) with a Cone-Shaped-Cavity drilled into it. Ideally that "Cone-Shaped-Cavity" should follow the exact profile of the nose on your cast bullet.

At the top of that "Cone-Shaped-Cavity" there should be a small hole that acts as the injection point for your hot-melt-glue.
    If your "Cone-Shaped-Cavity" is close enough in shape to the nose of your bullet, you should be able to just slide the nose of your cast bullet up into that cavity to create a tight seal around the mouth of your hollow point.

You then just inject the Hot-Melt-Glue. It dries in seconds. You just take a razor blade and shave off the sprue and you have a permanently bonded and perfectly fitting Synthetic-Tip.

Don't forget to lube your "Cone-Shaped-Cavities." Otherwise all you'll do is permanently bond your cast bullet to the inside of that cavity.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I finally got a chance to get out to the range and do some bullet testing.

I'm happy to report that with the correct powder charges, these Boat-Tailed Gas-Checked bullets flew straight and true.

That's not to say that my aim was straight and true; just that the bullets actually worked.

I'll be posting photos and details on the "Boat-Tailed Gas-Check Teaser" thread in the Gas Checks section of this forum from now on.

With any luck I'll be able to post some images this afternoon. Depends on how the rest of the day goes.

HollowPoint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12