Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The .223 and the 225646 DC bullet for hunting....

Boolit Master

The .223 and the 225646 DC bullet for hunting....

I was on my way to giving son #2 my mini-14 since I gave son#1 my AR... but since I gave #2 a colt 45ACP I was just storing this ranch rifle till a cop buddy of mine... sayed... hey tommy... I gotta go huntin man.... lets go...

The area he was thinking of I've never been to so I was well up to the idea and asked him which of my guns I should bring... being a muzzleloader hunter exclusively since the late 80's. He asked about my .223... I sayed.. "Really?" He sayed.. Oh yeah... I've got some bullets that drop em where they stand for the .223.. so... never having hunted with the thing I traded him a couple of boxes of FMJ for some hunting bullets.... what surprised me was just how pleasant a gun it is to haul around and soo... figured... why not ...

That led to last night me purchasing a mold for the .223 225646 DC from Lyman, some Gas Checks which I use on my muzzleloader bullets too, so that process is understood... and I got some sizers and punches and shell holders.... So now my question is this... this bullet looks like some of the planes I've been in... sorta narrow waisted.... and I'm wondering it that is where the roll crimp might be located... anyways... does anyone here hunt with this bullet? My Buddy swears by the .223... and I'm not convinced anything less than a .451 or .41 with 400 grains or more is a hunting bullet.. But he swears by the .223... head shots, neck shots and right through the boiler room.... anyone else enthused about .223 and this bullet in particular at more moderate speeds?

Moderator Emeritus

I should work great on jackrabbits and squirrels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I should work great on jackrabbits and squirrels.
    Hehe... thank you ... neither of which we have here ...

Banned

I wouldnt shoot cast at deer in a 223 unless I had the 75 gr NATO Mihec boolit pushed at 2600 fps, BUT I do shoot deer with my AR and jaxeted bullets, I really like the 65 gr Sierra Gameking and ALL of the Barnes solid copper bullets work extremely well. The Hornady 75 gr Amax will work as well even though they say to not use it for hunting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    I wouldnt shoot cast at deer in a 223 unless I had the 75 gr NATO Mihec boolit pushed at 2600 fps, BUT I do shoot deer with my AR and jaxeted bullets, I really like the 65 gr Sierra Gameking and ALL of the Barnes solid copper bullets work extremely well. The Hornady 75 gr Amax will work as well even though they say to not use it for hunting.
    I've a box of something like that actually that my buddy gave me... I appreciate your sentiment... I'm not sure that I just yet share your concerns for cast bullets for hunting. I've unfortunately only been able to find this one mold for the .223. The jacketed bullets will be pushing 1300 pounds of KE where a cast bullet is pushing 600 at 2200 fps. That should be plenty for deer. One issue here in Hawaii is that they have a 1200 foot pounds minimum .... yet allow 500 for handgun... the consistency is just startling...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus58 View Post
    I've a box of something like that actually that my buddy gave me... I appreciate your sentiment... I'm not sure that I just yet share your concerns for cast bullets for hunting. I've unfortunately only been able to find this one mold for the .223. The jacketed bullets will be pushing 1300 pounds of KE where a cast bullet is pushing 600 at 2200 fps. That should be plenty for deer. One issue here in Hawaii is that they have a 1200 foot pounds minimum .... yet allow 500 for handgun... the consistency is just startling...
    Your question is moot unless you plan on breaking the law..

Boolit Buddy
    not trying to insult you ( as many get insulted easily) but it is not all about the KE, as a 22LR can and has killed many deer, and it has way less than 600 lbs. I feel it is more about shot placment and bullet performance. as stated in the other thread I used nosler partitions and have had great results. I am not sure I would trust any cast bullet in this weight range for anything but samll varmint at this point due to possible inconsistancies in casting . My suggestion would be to cast some up and work up your load, and make detailed notes and come up with several tests ( even just wet pack ) , to get feedback as to what this cast boolit can do consistanly, from pour to pour and batch to batch . you can then start looking at the terminal performance, and get a good evaluation on how your bullet will perform in several different situations. The gamekings and partitions work so well becuse this has already been done by the big manufactures.

just my opinion and keep in mind I have never shot or cast any of my own bullets yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Wouldn't think of it... but .223 is all but illegal anyway and no one here seems to care... so why have the rule... Some loads that produce less than 3150 fps don't cut it going in...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cstrickland View Post
    not trying to insult you ( as many get insulted easily) but it is not all about the KE, as a 22LR can and has killed many deer, and it has way less than 600 lbs. I feel it is more about shot placment and bullet performance. as stated in the other thread I used nosler partitions and have had great results. I am not sure I would trust any cast bullet in this weight range for anything but samll varmint at this point due to possible inconsistancies in casting . My suggestion would be to cast some up and work up your load, and make detailed notes and come up with several tests ( even just wet pack ) , to get feedback as to what this cast boolit can do consistanly, from pour to pour and batch to batch . you can then start looking at the terminal performance, and get a good evaluation on how your bullet will perform in several different situations. The gamekings and partitions work so well becuse this has already been done by the big manufactures.

just my opinion and keep in mind I have never shot or cast any of my own bullets yet.
    Not insulted, I brought that up actually earlier. I cast a lot of bullets from .390 roundballs to .578 miniballs and from .410 to .580 on conicals. My casting consistency is fair... but makes good solid bullets that stick together well. I've abandoned the idea of casting bullets for the .223....

.223 cast works well on coyotes, especially if you hp them.

I don't bring the .223 hunting unless I plan to go after something that weighs 100 pounds or less. I'm not saying that you can't take anything larger with the .223, I'm just saying that is where I personally draw the line.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    .223 cast works well on coyotes, especially if you hp them.

I don't bring the .223 hunting unless I plan to go after something that weighs 100 pounds or less. I'm not saying that you can't take anything larger with the .223, I'm just saying that is where I personally draw the line.
    Goats and sheep are rarely near a 100 pounds... Goats are hardy though... sheep of the feral variety I've never had one run when shot with my .451.... and mouflon... rarely 100 pounds but they too can take some lead.

Boolit Master

Fill me in on this statement, as I am confused by it's meaning.
    some Gas Checks which I use on my muzzleloader bullets too, so that process is understood... and I got some sizers and punches and shell holders...
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Originally Posted by Nrut

Wouldn't think of it... but .223 is all but illegal anyway and no one here seems to care... so why have the rule... Some loads that produce less than 3150 fps don't cut it going in...
    From this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...R-or-a-Mini-14

05-11-2013, 05:54 AM #1
    Rattus58
    Boolit Master
    Does anyone hunt with the Lyman 225646 GC bullet in an AR or a Mini-14?
    Trying to find moulds for my .223 that I can hunt with are difficult because its not specifically mentioned as to what cast bullets are good for hunting in .223. Anyway, I bought a mold for the 225646 Lyman and hope to make some decent hunting bullets out of them since it has a relatively round nose to it. Not knowing how the gas checks will work with a cast bullet at really high velocity, I'm thinking I'd be limited to 2000 or thereabouts in a mini-14. For hunting I don't see that as a problem for me since this rifle is a sheep rifle, not a varmint even though its got the accu-strut attached to it.

Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Aloha..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't seem to keep your stories straight..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Originally Posted by Nrut

From this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...R-or-a-Mini-14

05-11-2013, 05:54 AM #1
    Rattus58
    Boolit Master
    Does anyone hunt with the Lyman 225646 GC bullet in an AR or a Mini-14?
    Trying to find moulds for my .223 that I can hunt with are difficult because its not specifically mentioned as to what cast bullets are good for hunting in .223. Anyway, I bought a mold for the 225646 Lyman and hope to make some decent hunting bullets out of them since it has a relatively round nose to it. Not knowing how the gas checks will work with a cast bullet at really high velocity, I'm thinking I'd be limited to 2000 or thereabouts in a mini-14. For hunting I don't see that as a problem for me since this rifle is a sheep rifle, not a varmint even though its got the accu-strut attached to it.

Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Aloha..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't seem to keep your stories straight..
    Oh REALLY... What story would that be Dr... What was your name again?

Perma-Banned

I am thinking that you are not far off 22mag performance with that load. It can be done for sure but it is really limited in shot selections as it seems you have already figured. I like your big bullet idea much more. What island you on? I spent a lot of time in Hawaii and have many friends there

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    I am thinking that you are not far off 22mag performance with that load. It can be done for sure but it is really limited in shot selections as it seems you have already figured. I like your big bullet idea much more. What island you on? I spent a lot of time in Hawaii and have many friends there
    I live on the Big Island...

Perma-Banned

Lots a friends on the big island. Which part if I may ask, probably know some of the same folks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    Lots a friends on the big island. Which part if I may ask, probably know some of the same folks.
    Puna... east side, but I know folks all over the island.. And if its hunting related, we've been involved since the late 80's in Issues so I run across a lot of folks who are interested in hunting's survival as well.

Aloha,

Tom

Boolit Master
    We are an advocacy group.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast