MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving across the country, should I sell my lead?

Boolit Man

Moving across the country, should I sell my lead?

So im moving from nevada to Pennsylvania at the end of the summer. I plan on loading everything I own in a trailer and pulling it behind my truck. The one dilemma im having is, what to do with all of my lead? I have right around 2000 lbs of lead and putting that in the trailer will probably put me over my towing capacity. Should I try towing it? Should I sell it all off locally and buy more when I get to Pennsylvania? Should I freight it to my new address? Just looking for some ideas of what to do.

Boolit Master

Check to see how much weight you have left on your truck and put what you can in it. If you can figure out what weight you have left for the trailer max it out. Just watch the weight distribution and not have to much on the tongue or the back end. I'm assuming you have it smelted already. No need in hauling metal clips or jackets you don't need besides the ignots stack better anyway. Lead is not getting any easier to get. The down side is will the reduction in fuel ecomomy be worth it. I don't think it would be much but that is a consideration. Depending on how much is left you could flat rate box some to your new location and use the postage as moving expenses on your taxes. Just some thoughts.

If you broke that down into 50 lb MFRB's and sold them for $65.00 each that would put right around $2000.00 after shipping in your pocket. Problem is you would have to pay $2600.00 to replace it at the same price when you get to PA. Do you have any friends in the area who would be willing to send you a MFRB every so often?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Here is another idea we do have members in PA you may be able to send MFRB of lead to all summer that they could store for you until you get there yourself and give them a box of lead or 2 for there trouble just a thought.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Bub
    What part of PA are you moving to?

What region of Pennsylvania are you moving to? PA. is a big state and as mentioned you might find that there is someone near where you are moving who would be more then willing to help out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    Here is another idea we do have members in PA you may be able to send MFRB of lead to all summer that they could store for you until you get there yourself and give them a box of lead or 2 for there trouble just a thought.
    That is the best idea yet. Helping out and being helped all at once. We all need to look out for one another.

Boolit Bub
    Another idea is to rent a larger uhaul and a dolly and tow your truck.

OR

Split the difference. Load 1000 lbs and sell 1000 lbs

Love Life
    I would take it with you if you can.

If you decide to sell I live 2 hours from you in Wellington and I would like to buy some. I'd drive to you...

Boolit Buddy
    I would say, try to sell it locally, and then replace it when you get to PA. Moving that much across country will be expensive and hard on your truck. Keep 100lbs or so to get you started. You may be able to replace it without losing too much $.

Boolit Master
    Figure out how much you can put in the trailer without being over weight, and then bring some to NCBS.
    Or if you can't go to NCBS, I will be in Reno in June and maybe we can work something out then.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

I'd keep some of the best, like 250 lbs., and take it along. I'd sell the rest locally, to avoid the shipping costs, and then use that money later to rebuild your stash when you get to PA.

The 250 lbs. will be a good supply to get you started and it will keep you from going solo with no lead at all. In PA they still have lead wheel weights, so it won't take too long to accumulate some lead. Besides, the collection process will help you get to know the area and your new neighbors in PA.

Half the fun of this smelting/hoarding process is the exploring for treasure (Lead). You have an opportunity to do it all over again on new ground. Hauling 2,000 pound of anything clear across country is a real PITA. For Gold, I would do it. For lead, not me!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Having a large stash of a known alloy is almost priceless. Good lead is not becoming any easier to find for the same price that you probably paid for yours. I have purchased lead from several sources and sometimes it's not close to what it was said to be.
    If you can find a way to hold on to it then that would be the top choice.
    fishhawk gave you a great suggestion. I would do that with a proven member.
    As I said,if it was me I would do all that I could to keep the lead. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

A year ago I moved from CA to Arkansas and brought all of my lead with me. I rented a U-Haul box truck & car trailer & towed the car, about half the lead was in the truck. A friend towed my cargo trailer with his F-450 which had the other half of the lead in it.

I doubt in this day & age I could replace what I have now at least not very easily, I suggest you keep what you have. Might be a hassle to move it but once the move is done your lead supply won't be.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

How about looking for a member near where you are moving to that is willing to sell lead, finding out what price they want, and selling your current stash for the same price you would be paying the PA member? Ideally, you would sell yours locally (reno) and buy it locally (PA) so that there isn't a shipping cost. 2000 lbs sold in Reno + 2000 lbs bought in PA + no shipping =

Banned

this is me being me so take it for what it's worth.
    i'd look into crating and freighting it with a trucking company like yellow or something.
    it might cost you 250.00 to ship it to yourself.
    but that would be cheaper than replacing it, and a lot easier than hauling it.
    2,000 lbs on a cross country trip is a lot of weight wearing on tires and fuel mileage.
    you might be able to work a deal with a member for 100 lbs or something to have him ship it a week after you leave so you are there to unload it.

I try to keep as many boolits made up in buckets and such as possible, as that is easier for me to justify moving a lot easier than 3 square feet of ingots is.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would investigate all options on shipping before I sold it. Getting lead in the new place may not be easy.

Run, those aren't bullets. Those are just bore sized ingots.....

Banned

once they are lube/sized they become components, and are thus part of the reloading room...

Boolit Man
    Ok so im going ro be moving to blairesville, about 30 min east of Pittsburg. Anybody out there selling lead? I do like the idea of bringing it to the nvcbs since im planning on being there anyways. I will probably sell off all but about 200 lbs. I am g lad to hear pa has lead wheelweights still. They are few and far between here in reno.

Boolit Man
    I could also go buy a bigger truck instead lol that f350 turbodiesel lariat has been eyeing me everytime I drive past it. We could call that a moving expense

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast