WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 11.7 x Whatever Dane Rolling Block

Boolit Master

11.7 x Whatever Dane Rolling Block

I just came into possession of a beautiful example of a Danish Rolling block. I've found ammo, but it comes in two varieties: 11.7x51 and 11.7x56.

I'm thinking either somebody tells me which one I need or I cast the chamber and measure it.

Anybody care to tell me how to do a chamber cast. I have an ingot of metal for this purpose from Rotometals.

thanks in advance
    dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    Chickenthief knows these backwards and forwards and has posted on them here at least a couple of times. Might try to search for his posts.
    Rule 303

Banned
    Yeah.

The 56 is ultra rare (under 200 ever made), so not that one!
    It's a 51 BUT

Slug your barrel and follow my explanasion.

In the days 5 different production lines were set up and they each had their own proofing tools made by each foreman.
    So a GO barrel can be anything from .443"-.463".
    No problem with BP and a pure lead slug but when converted to smokeless and jacketed it became a big problem.
    A bullet that was in the broad middle was chosen and the chambers that wat tight had a biiiiig leade/throat cut that would size a jacketed bullet down and not raise pressures.

Thus it would appear that most Danes will chamber a 56mm case but in reality the 51mm is the correst one.

I use full length 45-70 brass with the rim trimmed down in mine. Seat long and load 80 grains under a Lee 405-459-HB, that works every time!

Banned
    Top rimfire with 60gr of BP
    Bottom centerfire

Note the difference in bullet diameter!

Boolit Master

Chickenthief-

Thanks, buddy! I slogged around reading your other posts and arrived at the 51mm conclusion. The hammer on my gun is intact. I miked the rear of the chamber and it appears to be thirteen or fourteen thousandths larger than the .45-70 cases I have. I ordered (at great expense) some ammo from Buffalo Arms as well as some .348 Winchester cases to play with to see if I can make my own.

The barrel does appear to be about .462. I have a bunch of 40/1 alloy that I may try to see if this thing will shoot well. The barrel looks great and I am hopeful.

dale in Louisiana

I might still have contact info from a person who wanted to sell one of these really cheap but the wood was worm eaten really bad. I believe it could be patched with bedding compound. Am I correct in understanding that many of these were rechambered to 45-70 at one time? If so I may buy it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I might still have contact info from a person who wanted to sell one of these really cheap but the wood was worm eaten really bad. I believe it could be patched with bedding compound. Am I correct in understanding that many of these were rechambered to 45-70 at one time? If so I may buy it.
    Well yes and no!
    A 45-70 remaer was passed through so it will chamber the larger 45-70 rim, but the wider/more conical Dane chamber is still there and the cases will swell (sewerly for 45-70 resizing) at firing.

Banned
    A modified 45-70 case fired in my Dane on the left (note bulge) and standard 45-70 on the right.
    The 45-70 is @ .498" at the widest and my Dane is @ .5095"

Boolit Mold
    Look at my posts in "Almost 45-70", I, too, had to do a lot of research to figure out this beautiful beast... I was lucky! Mine came with a set of RCBS dies and several types of modified brass (NOT 45-70). Just do a chamber and bore cast, it will help you a GREAT deal!