Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: RCBS vs Lee Sizing Die 357 Mag

Boolit Man

RCBS vs Lee Sizing Die 357 Mag

I noticed with comparing sizing dies, that the RCBS sizes down the 357 case more (about 0.003) than the Lee. I can feel it on my press handle during sizing operations.

Will the RCBS shorten the case life or am I concerned on a non-critical issue?

Both cases chamber no problem on my Ruger GP-100. However, I do like the quality of RCBS.

Thanks

Banned

it's just a name on the side.
    what it does is more important than what it say's.
    i'd have no problem using the lee sizer, i'd also look at how the seat and crimp works on the other two dies before deciding which one I used for what.

Boolit Master
    I use both RCBS and Lee for different reasons. For jackets bullets I use a Lee "U" (undersize) because I want a good grip on the .357 bullets to get better burn with ball powders. For boolets that I size .358, I use a larger RCBS regular .357/.38 so I don't squish my pretty lead projectile. For crimping I use a Lee collet-type die like in their rifle FCD. Probably not necessary to be so picky, but thats me. Loren

Banned

Like most people I use Lee Precision and the FCD and like most people, very happy with the results. Have been thinking about trying the Redding crimp die.

Boolit Master
    Rgmj,

The more important question concerning case life in a .357 Mag has nothing to do with the sizing die at all!

*How hot are you loading? Plinkers? Mid Range? Max Load?

*How heavy are you belling the case and how heavy is the crimp? I.E. working the brass

I Have some nickel plated .357 cases that have been reloaded so many times the nickel is wearing off! But then again these are seldom loaded over mid range.YMMV
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    .003 isnt much to worry about. I prefer RCBS over Lee. But i reload with RCBS, LEE, Herters, Redding, and Lyman. So i use a little over them all. Mix and match.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3