Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PatMarlin's plain base gas check maker

PatMarlin's plain base gas check maker

Hey there guys, I read about the PatMarlin's plain base check maker and wanted to get some peoples input on this. To me it sounds like a great invention and tool to make my plain based boolits into gas checked versions that I can push faster. If anyone has an experience in using this please let me know how you like it. What material can you use to make checks for plain based boolits? Will a soda can work? do you have to get a certain size material to use?

I have mostly gas checked molds but if I can make plain based gas checks work then I think I will order plain based molds in the future so I dont have to pay more money for gas checks.

Thanks for any input,

Doc

Please post a link. I did not realize you could make a plain into a gas check base, or use a gas check with a plain base.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    Please post a link. I did not realize you could make a plain into a gas check base, or use a gas check with a plain base.
    http://www.patmarlins.com/

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Don't know what to really tell you.......have been using Pats P/B Gaschecks for about 6 months in my pistols, never used any GasChecks before them.........the reason I use them was I had a slight, ever so slight leading down the barrel of my pistols.
    I now send a check down my barrels about one in fifty shots...........zero leading now.

Have never used the soda cans as yet but will, am still using Yonkys [he's a sponsor here] 006" aluminum coils he sells for my P/B checks.

I have no complaints with the PatMarlin dies, they work well for me.

Boolit Master

I've used gas checks since the 70s on magnum loads with great success. Last year, I received two plain based CheckMakers in 35 and 45, and a regular CheckMaker in 30 caliber. They are great! I plan on getting a few more in various calibers and don't intend to use commercial checks ever again. Pat's dies are the real deal.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

They work great with pop or beer cans. No sense in buying copper metal for them.
    We had leading fits with 9mm until I got one of Pats makers and now 9mm is a breeze.
    I use them on my 357 too since I make them for nothing.

I didn't realize that you could make checks for a plain base boolit. I guess you learn something new everyday. I might have to add this to my wish list.
    Sully

Boolit Mold
    Anyone got pics to post?

Boolit Master

Relsom, here's a pic. Pat has a lot of great pictures if you look at his vendor/sponsor page. Pictured are some 30 caliber regular checks from .014 aluminum flashing, some 45 plain base checks from soda can and from .0078 aluminum flashing. I also make 35 caliber plain based checks with dies made by PatMarlins. He makes great stuff!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	checks.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	68837

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    I won't bad-mouth the PB checkmaker it works exactly as advertised. I just can't get the checks to stay on the bullet without glue ,others that use them have been able to . I guess there is a secret I havent' found yet. So far I am satisfied with the checkmaker,just not satisfied with the results. Checks coming off midstream has a definite effect on accuracy.

As you can see from other posts there are users that are having excellent results. I won't dispute there results, It's most likely something I am doing wrong.

In hindsight If I would have spent the same amount of money on a custom mold that took a commercial gas check I would have been ahead of the game money wise,except for the cost of commercial checks.

Boolit Master

Sir, which mold are you use, which checkmaker, and how are you sizing them?

Is taught at the Range!

That was my concern, I dont mind that much glueing on a gas check if I can make it for free but would rather have it crimped on.

Doc

Boolit Master

Doc, PM sent

Is taught at the Range!

As fcvan asked, your sizer has to be to large, with a p/b check you are virtually swaging the gas check on, whatever size material you're using.

If using a cast boolit designed for a gas check, the material size whether copper or aluminum is important.

I'm using a Lee sizer to install my 9mm & .357 without problems.............hope you find the answer to your problem.
    Last edited by Wal'; 05-01-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

While I have read several posts on use of PB gas checks for large bore/usually handgun boolits, has anyone used .30 cal PB gas checks in rifle applications and can provide reports on velocity and accuracy at comparable loads to regular gas checks?

Not looking to match "J" bullet performance, just wondering if PB gas checks at rifle pressures and velocities of 1800 to 2000 FPS is doable? If not what maximum velocity is reasonable achievable with good accuracy?

I have a Mihec 316410 PB mould coming soon with the intent to mostly use it as a lightweight plinker in my .303's but if I want to push it a bit then I would plan on getting a PB checkmaker if it is worthwhile.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Longbow, I have pushed a 200 gr RN HP 45 PB in a carbine chambered in 45 Colt to 1750 fps without issues. I am also making 30 caliber regular checks from .014 aluminum, which I've been shooting out of a Springfield 03-A3 in 30-06 to about 2000 fps. I'm still looking for the sweet spot with this rifle. There is still a lot of testing to do but am low on primers. There is a post on here where folks are using 30 cal PB checks and have done quite well. I only have one 30 cal mold that isn't designed with a check shank so I went for the regular or standard CheckMaker die in 30. I hope this helps

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the response.

I made my own simple check maker for my GC moulds in .30 cal and it works quite well. The gas checks appear to work as well as commercial copper checks for the shooting I have done. I use old gutter material as I had old gutters and it is thick at about 0.019", However, since my check maker is a hammer type, it just takes a bit more "Whack" to extrude the thicker material which forms a slightly deeper cup than 0.014" would.

My concern with PB checks in relatively high pressure .30 cal loads is more about the very thin check, fairly deep rifling in the case of my .303's and relatively high pressure if pushing them to maybe 2000 FPS.

So far, I have found it easier to get good results with larger bores than the .30 cal. In fact I load to full "J" bullet loads in my .44 Marlin with PB boolits and have little leading but in the .30 cal's it is a different story.

Since I have ordered a PB boolit mould, that is what I will work with and if I need PB checks to go faster then I will try them. If they don't work well I will just stick with PB at lower velocity or maybe go to paper patching for higher velocity. I would have to size down or make a mould though but not a big deal.

Longbow

So these PB checks will work for any boolit cast from any mold as long as it is not a GC boolit design? Anybody have any experience using these on a Lee tumble lube boolit? And do all brands of sizer dies work to crimp them on or do these require a special die?

45fan

Boolit Master

Yes, the PB checks work with a plain based boolit. PB checks aren't so much crimped on, they are swaged on. The link posted below shows images of a TL design boolit with a check before and after sizing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-Caliber-Dies

Regardless of the type of sizer die, the PB checks work best when seating/swaging checks, base first. If using a Lee push through sizer it is best to push them through base first. There are threads describing how to modify the sizing ram to be a custom fitting nose punch.

Is taught at the Range!

My brother is shooting 165gr with a PB check at 1850fps in his 357 rifle. Whether the check comes off or not its shooting VERY accurately at 100yds and a clean barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast