RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: What is this hole in air assist?

What is this hole in air assist?

Should this hole be plugged? I have trouble getting the entire lube groove filled. Sometimes it will do it great for a few boolits and sometimes I have to double pump, (doesn't always work), and some times run the boolits through twice. I'm running 60 pounds, which I should be able to do it with less.

Any ideas? I have never been fully satisfied with the way this lubes, fairly happy, but I know it is not working at optimum. I am running a heater and have wondered if maybe there is some old lube plugging something up.

Sometimes it works great and sometimes it doesn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air assist.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Not really sure, but I would guess it's a double acting cylinder, and it's for using air to move the ram the other way, or an exhaust for the cylinder.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Most all cylinders have two ports rod end and piston end for air return.That port when used to apply pressure towards one way use couldbe left open or put a muffler in.So in the photo you are appling presure at piston correct.

Banned

put your thumb over the hole and unplug the air from the top.
    feel the suction.
    if you put air to that hole it raises the piston so you don't bash yourself in the face pulling the plunger out of the lubesizer.

ADMIN

The air cylinder is a power up and power down.
    When. Air goes in the top it pushes the cylinder down and pushes the air out of the other side.

Get yourself one of those blow gun nozzles with a rubber tip.
    When you go to add more lube disconnect the air from the top and put the air gun in the bottom port and apply air till it makes a thump.
    Basically you just saved you a lot of pulling because the ram is now at h top.

Banned
    Its a two way cylinder. If you put an air fitting there and applied air there instead of the end the cylinder would retract. No, don't plug the hole.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Should this hole be plugged? I have trouble getting the entire lube groove filled. Sometimes it will do it great for a few boolits and sometimes I have to double pump, (doesn't always work), and some times run the boolits through twice. I'm running 60 pounds,
    Apply more air. I run 130 psi and use magma lube. The boolits aren't sticky when they come out.
    You can leave the air at 60 and increase the heat but adding more air is easy and quick.

So after I wrote this, I went in and sized/lubed about 300 boolits. The problem I have had with adding more heat is lube oozing around where the die meets the base. I did step the heat up twice and it did much better. I'll try adding a little more air pressure also.

I will get a rubber tipped air blower. I probably have a handful in the garage. I've switched to these type of air blowers along time ago. Much easier to carry in your pocket and you can easily adjust air flow. $4 at Northern Tool.

Thanks for the replys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air pen.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Man
    Do not plug it in this case it is a vent. In other applications this could be used to make the cylinder retract.

Boolit Grand Master

Old Dog - New Tricks

While I knew what that hole was there for it never occurred to me to use a rubber tipped blow gun to retract the piston. No wonder I love this site.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I haven't read the instructions for mine in many years but for some reason I'm thinking they suggest an 80 psi limit? Also something that may help is lubing the stick of lube before placing it in the tube, I use Petroleum Jelly. I find when the stick is maybe 80% used it will tend to stick to the sides of the tube calling for more pressure or heat in order to feed. The lube stops this.

Can't speak for anyone but myself but I set the pressure somewhere between 60 & 80 PSI & increase the heat till I get the results I need. I have to ship my bullets so I try to use the least heat I can get by with as the lube [LBT] seems to adhere to the bullet better during shipment.