Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomendation on a new pot??

Recomendation on a new pot??

Ive had my Saco # 24 about 25 years bought it used at the time and its about shot..
    any recomendations on a new pot.. RCBS, LYMAN???

Le Loup Solitaire

Saeco #24 or new pot

The Saeco model 24 is/was one of the best pots ever made. I've had mine since the seventies. They're worth fixing or restoring. Basically anything electrical can be rewired/fixed for reasonable and the only other thing that can go wrong is the valve seating; a new valve can be easily made to fit if the seat is worn or the valve itself is worn. A shot of high temp BBQ stove black on the outside metal and things can look new again. However if you believe that its not worth it or that the pot is really unsalvageable for some other reason and you plan to go ahead with a new pot I would recommend the RCBS Pro Melt. It is expensive, but well built and has a rock solid guarantee. It has been my second pot since 1978 and I use it for my 4 cavity molds that are of larger caliber. It has performed flawlessly for me. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman has a new pot that has a pid controller built in so this is a big plus. The RCBS is a great furnace and the pot is stainless steel. It uses a commercial type thermostat with a bourbon bulb sensor so the temperature control is not as fine as a pid but good boolits can still be made.

Don't know about Lyman but every part I have needed for my RCBS has been shipped to me no charge. My furnace was made in 1987.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee pot and a PID setup.
    You could probably buy three (3) setups for the cost of a RCBS.....

BTW: I have a Lee 4-20 and a Lyman Mag 20. And I am still waiting to build my first PID....

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master
    I resisted but finally got the promelt a month ago. Why oh why did I just not buy one in the first place. Enough said!
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought my Lyman mag 20 in 1985. I have run at least 5,000 lbs of alloy through it.
    It still works like it did new.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Grand Master
    I ran a ot of alloy through my 4-20 before I bought a Promelt at an estate sale. Now I don't even like to use the 4-20 to cast snagging wieghts.

If you can afford it, get the RCBS.

Robert

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Lee 4-20 $60

Homemade PID $80 (from plans and info found here on CBF)

can you find a PID controlled bottom pour pot for $140?

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    Lee 4-20 $60

Homemade PID $80 (from plans and info found here on CBF)

can you find a PID controlled bottom pour pot for $140?
    +1 on this. I have to finish my PID. I've already poured 600 plus 9mm without PID and it was a joy compared to ladle casting.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    ^^^ just wait until you can set and forget the temp with that PID and just cast boolits, takes the joy up a few more levels!

I'd be interested in the saeco 24 if you decide to get rid of it. I like mine and would like an extra for parts.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Hands Down the best bottom pour pot is the RCBS PRO MELT. You just set the very accurate thermostat to your casting temp and cast away. I have used one for several years now. The old Lyman pots with the great thermostats are also a good casting pot. The bad thing is that Lymans Customer Service is not of the same caliber as RCBS. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Saeco 24 that has worked very well, but just wish it had more capacity. I get on a good rhythm and then it is near empty and have to stop to reload the pot. I can't believe the prices they are going for on e bay lately though.

If you aren't in a hurry there is the Lyman is offering a new Mag 25 Digital Melting Furnace, due out soon?

Makes me feel guilty of what i paid for mine. I've seen them go for 150 on this site

Boolit Buddy
    My votes goes for rebuilding the Saeco if possible.

I bought both the Model 24 and the Model 32 along with six RCBS molds to get started for less than either of these. Amazing how 70 year old pots hold their value though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111034169364...84.m1423.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/310636718066...84.m1423.l2649

Boolit Grand Master

I too started with a Saeco, and still have it. The thermostat gave out, but I was able to replace it. I recently added a PID controller and it still pours as good, or better than when I got it, in the 70s.
    Paying the price for quality is sometimes cheaper in the long run. I do however also have 2 Lee pots for seldom used alloys.

Boolit Mold
    i started with a lee 20 pounder, then bought the rcbs a little over a year ago. needless to say the lee only melts my tin. you wont be sorry for buying a rcbs and dont have to deal with it dripping

I finally gave up on my Lee 4-20 last casting session so I ordered a RCBS pro melt and got it today.

Is the thermostat good enough that I don't need to figure out how to use my PID controller with this new pot?

Boolit Buddy
    Ive only had one a lyman mag 20 so I cant say which is best. Im happy with what Ive got. Got it in the mid 90's. Rick!