WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: 10mm / 40s&w, 170gr / 150gr (135gr HP), WFN, 4-cav, Brass, Miha

Does anyone else have this issue with "flashing" on the rim of the HP's? It happens on all 4 cavities and does not matter if i leave pins loose, tighten them, or swap the pins to different cavities. This is my first mihec mold, and my first HP mold. I am hoping this is not how they are supposed to be as I was expecting better, personally. PM to miha to follow.
    Actively looking for anything SKS/7.62x39 related. PM me!

Boolit Master
    Iīm in with this.

Havenīt used the HP - pins till now and am interested certainly of the solution.

Boolit Master
    I do get a little bit of flashing on my 200GR version of this mold but my sizer die takes care of it and I never noticed any accuracy issues. Hope that helps a bit.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

I am assuming you are sizing using a lubrisizer with a nose punch? I really dont think it will effect boolit performance, but i am a little disappointed if this is the highest quality mold available.
    Actively looking for anything SKS/7.62x39 related. PM me!

Boolit Master
    I get a little with the 190gr mold too. Less then what is pictured above. I've long contemplated a solution and just last night I remembered some 1000°F spray paint at the local auto store. I think I'm going to give it a try.

I found one guy in the USA who said he could make aftermarket pins for these molds but at considerable cost. One of these days I'm going to try that too. More to play with hp design then anything but hopefully improoving the parting line on the nose too.

Boolit Mold
    I get the "flashing" to a small degree on the round hollow points but not on the penta pins, seems to be related to the pin, not the mold, since I moved the pins around to different positions but got the same results, but I am still quite pleased with the overall results.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Yes I size nose first
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Bub

I received mine 2 weeks ago, and still haven't had time to use it. The workmanship is fantastic, I almost hate to get it dirty, but I will, oh yes, I will

Boolit Master
    I have come to view these molds in shiny brass like I view a hammer on the store rack, still lacquered and polished. It is not the natural, most beautiful state of the tool. The tarnished mold, like the hammer passed down from your father, shows that it has earned its status through faithful service. The tarnish improves these molds and I enjoy seeing it.
    Last edited by Oreo; 07-27-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Boolit Master

Wondering are there any extras from the buy?
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by RedHawk357Mag View Post
    Wondering are there any extras from the buy?

I still have some 150/135 molds left

Boolit Man
    HiHec PM sent

Bill

Boolit Mold
    MiHec, I am also interested if any extra 150's are available. PM to follow with billing info.

Boolit Master

Anyone posting thoughts on results they have had with the 150/135? Gravy if you might be using a Sig and range scrap, COWW/pure@ around 75/25. Been using 180 grn TC version for loading so Mihec caught me off guard with the lighter bullet. Appreciate the information.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Ordered an extra 135/150 and got it today, beautiful as usual and look forward to casting some 135 gr hp's up soon. I just got a S&W Shield to shoot these in. Hoping to reduce the recoil so many object to in this gun.
    Last edited by hicard; 01-06-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Will testify to the 135 gr HP use ....
    Quite pleased with the casting results as I was looking for a long time , a nice 135 for my Keltec P-40 ..
    the lighter weight boolet works well with a slightly slower burn rate powder for being effective in the small pistol.
    Keltec quit producing the pistol with all the negative feed back from the public ...40 s&w in such a small package is a lot of snap/recoil ...
    Miha's 135 gr boolet is just right as I have found it to be very effective ,lighter recoil and accurate.
    Easily the answer to the "bad little forty" ..
    by the way ...
    Have all so discovered it to be a very fine performer in a "Keltec su 2000 " in forty ....
    Accurate out past the fifty yd going on hundred ,very enjoyable performance with somewhat lighter recoil compared to heavier boolets .
    I size and lube using "Bens red" and then roll them later in his newer "Ben's LL or liquid lube" , No leading what so ever.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Are 40 S&W molds available from Miha ?

Boolit Master
    Send MiHec a PM. Only he would know for sure.

I just got a great brass 4 cavity 150/135 gr hp from Miha and it is beautiful as usual.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    Preliminary results-

These bullets come out fantastic! This is my first no lube groove mold (other than a couple of paper patch molds from fooling around with that in .303 a long time ago).

These bullets drop free more easily and quicker than any other mold I have ever used. Not once have I had to "tap" any bullets free, which is nothing short of amazing!

My rate of rejects is extremely low. I had only a handful of culls in my completed bullet pile.

Bullets are consistent at 185 gr in my alloy (large HP pin, range scrap). I weighed 20, low weight was 184.3, high weight was 186.3. Most fell within a 0.5 grain window around 185. Difference could be owed to powder coat in the cavities, along with normal variation. I made no attempt to segregate the bullets on weight, it was purely academic.

I am shooting the last thousand or so Lee 175s I had laying around before starting on these, but will be shooting these next weekend probably (been on a real .40 kick lately).

Why the fruity lilac color? Because it's what you get when you start with white, find it doesn't coat well, add some silver, decide to dump in some red, find that you used too much powder so you remove it from the tumbler, and mix in some blue to cut the poorer coating HF powder... looks cool in its own way, I guess.

My normal load with the Lee bullet is 4.5 grains titegroup with what weighs nominally around 180gr. I am doing a simultaneous experiement with recoil springs on my G35 and am going to be dialing back the load to 4.0 grains to start testing these. Regardless, given the slightly shorter bearing surface of the bullet, I probably could have gotten away with the 4.5 grain load anyway, but always reduce when you start a new workup!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920