MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS Bullet Seater Plug ?

Boolit Master

RCBS Bullet Seater Plug ?

Is there a better seater plug for the RCBS seater die ?
    When I seat a Cast Boolit the seater plug cuts a ring around the nose of the boolit.
    This is my 30-06 seater die
    Failure is not an Option

Moderator Emeritus
    For quick fix jam some tin foil into the seater and let it form to the boolit shape, a more permanent fix can be done with epoxy.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I had a custom seater plug made by RCBS. Cost about $20.00 to $25.00.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on epoxy. Or live with the rings, only visual issue, not functional problem.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

JB weld. Smear a release agent on a bullet, make sure everything is square and push the bullet in to form a nice custom form. You might have to open up the plug a bit so the part that is now putting a ring on the bullet doesn't stick through in time. The steel version of JB worked good for the two I did, but I haven't tried it with a rifle bullet and it's pointed profile.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

You didn't mention the bullet nose shape. I chuck seater plugs in the lathe and turn them flat, if I am using a bullet with a meplat. Works for any size flat nose.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    You didn't mention the bullet nose shape. I chuck seater plugs in the lathe and turn them flat, if I am using a bullet with a meplat. Works for any size flat nose.
    Round nose
    Lee C312-185-1R

I need another plug because I want to keep this one for loading my J-word bullets
    Last edited by hylander; 04-21-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    hylander git ye to the hardware store! Take that die along with ya. What you're looking for is a machine screw...or bolt in the correct thread dia. and size that fits the die. Mine (rcbs) is a really odd fine thread 1/4 by 26 or 28 threads per inch. (??) It might take some looking but I found it. It's finer than the regular fine thread. Anyways, snatch up a couple in different lengths and get a couple nuts to fit. If you can find any threaded all the way up that'd be great!! I found them... mine are grade 8 bolts...but they work. Now find the biggest empty catridge that will fit up inside that seating die. Cut it off about 1/2 inch above the base and drill out the primer hole. Shove the new bolt/screw through the primer hole so the head of the screw/bolt goes INSIDE. You might have to whittle down the head of the screw/bolt to fit in there. Now you have a little "bucket" on the end of a screw/bolt that will fit up inside your die...right? Use the nut and a few small washers if needed and secure the "bucket" to the screw/bolt. You don't want the "bucket" flopping around. Cut a slot in the end of the screw/bolt...just like your old seating plug. Now the new dookickey looks just like the old seating plug you took out...right? Put a little epoxy/JB Weld or whatever in the bucket, let it set for a spell till it gets thick. Not set up...just thick and not drippy. Install it into the die. Don't overfill....and don't dawdle...grab up a cartridge that is already fitted with the boolit you're trying to fit...proper O.A.L. and crimped in place ....and boolit well loobed so the epoxy won't bond to it. Put the die in the press, cartridge in the ram and EASE it up into position and slowly turn the seating stem down till it is snug. Now don't go all monkey-grip on that screw! You're just making it fit the ogive of the boolit remember. You don't want the epoxy oozing out all over inside the die!!!!!!! Might want to loob that die inside....just in case. If it does happen the world won't come to and end. A little heat and the new seating plug will release. Been there..done that. Now leave it be. Tommorrow that epoxy will be hard as a woodpeckers lips and you got a new seating plug an didn't gammahooch up the original. Total cost....under a buck. Gitter done son. Audie...the Oldfart