Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question about raccoons

Coons that have been feeding on corn silage taste very good and are quite fat and tender. My wife and I had a pet coon some years ago and it would ride around with us in the day time. We has a sports car with a roll bar. The coon would stand on the back deck of the car and hold on to the roll bar; quite an ego trip. The varmint was really a nitght critter and roamed the house all night long; over the couch, up and over the drapes, across the kitchen counter, over the bed then back to the couch. We had a fatal falling ouot when he tried to eat my supper while I was partaking.

Boolit Buddy
    Age, gender, diet all make a difference, I know it does with chickens. I shot a young female, about 4# (don't know what she was eating). Skinned, cut into pieces, removed all visible fat parboiled (poached) with 1 TBL liquid crab boil, grilled with BBQ sauce at camp. GOOD STUFF!

Back in the 60's there was an older gentleman that lived with his brother that would pay me a Dollar a carcass for raccoons. I had a pretty good dog and usually harvested around a 100 or so. He would take every one. He boned them out after cooking them for a while and canned them. I asked him if I was bringing him too many and he told me I never brought enough and to keep them coming.

Boolit Master
    I LOVE raccoon. When I was growing up my granddaddy hunted them. He'd parboil them till tender then brown it in the oven. Me and my daddy would go down to his house to eat them with him. I'd eat till the grease ran out my ears. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Cast Hunter

I tried raccoon once and didn't much care for it. It had a very strong flavor. My friend that prepared it loves coon and ate if fairly often. But, he also ate armadillo so......
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Here in Ohio they have the Danville Ohio Lions Club Raccoon Dinner in February for the last 69 years and it is quite popular. They have roasters full of raccoon and people line up.

Heck, if you have milk and peaches eat that and throw the dang coon away. I have had it, was ok and would do if I were hungry. Perspective is about right.

Boolit Master
    Growing up I used to shoot them from my grandfather's grain silos. Use a .22 with a flashlight duct taped to the barrel. My friend would take them home and his mom would cook them up. I tried it a couple of times but couldn't taste much other than the stew.

Boolit Master
    Genesis 9

King James Version (KJV)

9 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Boolit Master
    King James Version

See Leviticus chapter 11...Deuteronomy 14;3-21

God's Law (even health laws) don't change. Many attempt to use a New Testament chapter to say,"See, we can eat anything. Paul demonstrates that in Acts Chapter 10. Not so! This chapter further demonstrates that the unclean is still unclean. Chapter 10, if we read it through is where God is showing Paul that we should call no man common or unclean (Acts 10:28). It's not about clean and unclean food. It's about how Paul, the Jews, and all of us should relate to others. Did Paul eat any of the unclean animals? No. Did God tell him (or anyone else) that His health laws had changed? No.

Going back to Genesis, take a look at Genesis 7:2...clean and unclean again...clean by sevens and unclean by twos. Why? If they ate the unclean they would have become extinct. They took seven of the clean so they could eat them.

Didn't mean to get into a theological debate but I think if we are to call ourselves Christians then eating of anything that we can get ahold of is questionable. Please don't get upset at me. God gave us these guidelines, not me.

Boolit Mold
    If you are from Gillette, Arkansas they are. Home of the "World Famous Coon Supper"

Boolit Master

I did not see it posted but Mr Coon is excellent table fare when taken from the BBQ.As far as daylight coons they are governed by the moon phase and will stirr around durning the day light hours when the moon is up durning the day.I have cleaned dozens of coons and have not seen any parisites not even a grubs that rabbits have but have never opened the intestines.

I don't know what the laws are but if you are hunting with a 22 cal rifle or a single shot 410 the game wardens do not bother you.This was a few years back and haven't asked about it since I gave up coon hunting at night.
    Last edited by w5pv; 07-26-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Banned
    But, he also ate armadillo so. Ruger, Hey you need to be careful with the armadillo they do carry leprosy.

Boolit Master
    When I was a teenager i used to hunt coons with an older man and his dogs. We butchered the coons and he took them to Washington, DC where there was an "open market" and sold them as wild veal. He had a waiting list so long we could never fill it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trauma1 View Post
    If you are from Gillette, Arkansas they are. Home of the "World Famous Coon Supper"
    My uncle used to be the Superintendent of the school district in Gillette. The coon' supper was their main money raiser for the year. I attended several and had some good coon' and some awful coon'. They served coons that had been killed and frozen the week after the last supper all the way up to the day of the current supper.

Boolit Master

In the mid 70's when I was homeless and destitute I
    had some pretty tasty coon cooked over an open fire.

I guess the circumstance controls the taste.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Look again. The Genesis 9 citation is a direct quote from God himself. The Leviticus citation is by some anonymous author, possibly some Jewish temple priest or even Moses himself, who didn't have the integrity to put his name to it. If "God's Law (even health laws) don't change." which came first Leviticus or Genesis. By you own reasoning Genesis wins on precedence (seniority ?)

Based on authority who is the authority on God's law, God or Paul?

Paul was a Johnny come lately impostor and apostate. Jesus warned us about Paul's kind when He (Jesus) said that after He was gone others would come in his name teaching things that He had not taught and we were to believe them not and should conform only to that which Jesus had taught and done. The gospel of Christ supplanted all that had gone before and Jesus said our salvation depended on how well we obeyed His teachings and not the customs and traditions of men. Paul was such a man.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Please move the philosophical discussion to the appropriate area of the forum.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Coons, or seafood, or somesuch, no biggie. But if you start telling me I can't have bacon, we're gonna have a problem,,,,,,,,

Another great thread and yes, we'll have problems if anybody says no to me about bacon !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast