Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fur, Fish and Game.

Boolit Master

Fur, Fish and Game.

Who here likes this mag? I have read it whenever i could as a kid, it just seems to always have the best stuff, for bluecollar outdoorsmen like me. I finally got a subscription for Christmas, my mother usually gets me one to Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, but lately they are one giant add for new camo, factory ammo and bowhunting gear. Don't get me wrong, i bowhunt, but how much midwest corn-fed whitetail hunting can you read about? Little diagrams of places that exisist only in magazine spreads, planting food plots and leasing places, just does not apply to me. I run a working ranch here and can't put food plots in with cattle around and either have them destroyed or taking up grazing lands, and I still manage for game and leave plenty of cover for them, but i don't need to read about specialty wildlife blends.
    So, the do-it-yourself kind of projects and more self-sufficient attitude of the articles in FFG are much more interesting to me, and i think the mag is a much better value.
    I also appriciate the fur and horn prices, and its just about the only magazine that talks about trapping in-depth.
    So do you read it? If not, what outdoor mags do you enjoy?
    Last edited by 429421Cowboy; 04-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

i used to read that all the time when i was a kid. i ran a small trap line FFG
    was a lot of help and i still pick it up when i see it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Fur Fish & Game, and Backwoodsman are about the only worth while magazines still in existence.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub

FFG is one of my favorite mags. I learned a lot of trapping tips from it when I was young.

Boolit Master

Great little magazine, been reading it since the early 60's, subscribed for the last 30 at least. Very realistic approach on hunting and fishing and the only real source for trapping information.
    They would actually rather take your hand written article on your last bunny hunt than take one professionally written about the $10,000.00 elk hunt the writer was paid to take.
    Have yet to find a copy of the Backwoodsman but understand it is put together along the same lines. If so, will subscribe for sure as I have had enough of the phoniness in the world.
    Facta non verba

Like others have said I read it as a kid. The only magazine I get today today is American Hunter. Maybe I'll check into a subscription of FFG. Thanks for the reminder.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

It's the go to mag for me. FFG, Backwoods Home magazine, and NRAs 1st Freedom magzine. Thoes are the only ones we get now.

Boolit Master

I like the stories from average folks.

Like "Handloader" USED to be.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    I've written a few articles for them over the years. I think it's by far the best outdoors magazine in publication today.

+1 for FFG and don't forget Lew and Charlie a little hokey but fun to read......<><Duce53

Boolit Master

I'm a regular subscriber. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

I get a copy once in a while and I like that mag.
    I got Outdoor Life and Field and Stream for years. I had several boxes of them dating back to mid 80's. Finally threw them all out a couple months ago.

Anymore, most of the magazines are exactly like the hunting shows. Extremely boring and for nobody else except the rich guy that dont care about cost.
    Fur Fish and Game seems to be more like the average, down to earth guy.

Boolit Bub
    I used to subscribe when I was a kid and loved it! Brings back memories. I'll have to look Iit up and get a subscription. Glad to hear it's still around. .

Boolit Buddy
    Loved FFG as a kid when I ran a few coon traps. Loved Lew and Charlie and always saw myself in the Alaskan wilds like them when checking my dozen victor #2s here in east Texas. Not seen one in years.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

I don't subscribe to any of them now but buy Backwoodsman almost every issue and FFG at least 1/2 of the year.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Most current outdoor magazines have a huge amount of advertisement, they should give the magazines free. The phone book has a lot of advertisement, and their books are free.
    When Sports Afield raised their rates and stated their subscribers were a class above the average outdoorsman, I puked and ended my subscription to them.
    Writers in Handloader use lots of words to not say much information.

In Remembrance
    Just picked up the latest one a couple days ago. I haven't even had a chance to see what is in it this month.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Fur, Fish & Game and Backwoodsman are the only 2 mags I buy. I keep telling myself I should buy a few of the retro books that FFG offer but never seem to get around to it.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Fur Fish & Game, and Backwoodsman are about the only worth while magazines still in existence.
    Ain't that the truth.
    Dave

I've never seen it before. I know Jim Carmichel personally. So I usually get Outdoor Life. Several years ago one of the writers for G&A said something that was out right stupid. So I haven't bought them since. I wish someone would do a good magazine. I have a couple of dozen days every month that I'm out of game / hunting material.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast